Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
Good morning,

Before you go getting excited, I'm not getting one. Well - certainly not for a good while yet. When I've finished Uni and got myself a decent job I've been thinking what car I would have. One option that I can't seem to get rid of is the S60. I try but fail miserably so I want both the good and bad point of them. (Preferably the bad).

I have no idea how much I'd have to spend on one. Say I saved up and waited till I had enough dosh, 8 grand as an absolute maximum. (Probably not even that much). I realise values will shift a hell of a lot by then but the cars will still be the same cars so what I'm asking still applies.

The T5 sounds like an attractive proposition but seem quite rare. I understand that they're all turbocharged so I'm guessing the 2.0 woulid be a bit of fun too?

The only thing putting me off is the interior. I'm not a great fan but sometimes I look when it has leather in and think it looks rather nice. Oh - it's a Volvo too and I'd be 21 at the earliest when I got it. Not the traditional young man's car (neither is a 4dr Focus for that matter).

If the T5 is a completely different kettle of fish then please mention that also. Insurance shouldn't be too much of an issue as by then I should hopefully have 4 years ncb which are like gold dust and I can't see it costing more than 2 grand then.

One final point - I'm not getting rid of the Focus. I still love old Bess and I'll be having her for a good while yet. I'm just thinking aloud.
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - pd
£8k is enough to get you a decent S60 right now so certainly will be in the future.
Volvo S60 - y2k+4
I can relate to the whole desire of these cars. Unlike most Volvo's it's a handsome brute, and definately has a 'different' image. It's a LOT classier than a Beemer, not as snooty as an Audi, and not as common as a C-class.

From what Mum tells me, they're no Celica to drive, with rather dull responses and she found the gearchange "odd".

When I'm out the other side of uni, though...I think I'll get me an ex-rep Accord diesel...economical, reliable, good to drive, so I can save up for the DB9 or the CLS...AND go around with 'Hate Something, Change Something' playing. Hehe.
Volvo S60 - smokie
I pointed out a few Volvo models to the Mrs when I was musing about what car next. She said they all look like Old Man's cars.

And I'm old!
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
Search this forum and you'll find that I (aged 41!) hold the S60 to be the world's prettiest saloon car. Absolutely gorgeous, with nothing contrived about it, especially when shod with Tethys wheels and painted in Maya Gold.

Unfortunately though, rear leg room is limited and the boot aperture is best described as a letter box slot so having gone to buy a (Maya Gold, tethys shod!) S60 I ended up buying a Ruby Red V70. For the usage it gets this was the right decision (okay - the wife made the right "suggestion...") but at least I still drive the world's best looking (estate) car!

I still hanker over an S60 though, perhaps to replace her 306 Sedan when the time comes if I don't do as originally planned and give her the V70, buying an Elise 111R for myself.
Volvo S60 - peterb
What?!!!!!!!

The S60 is a good car. It looks good, the engines are lively and it handles acceptably.

But .......

.. it's not a car a university student should aspire to!

Shouldn't you be lusting after something a bit younger?
Volvo S60 - y2k+4
Lust is a strange thing. I think Adski is just thinking of realistic alternatives for his post-uni era.
Volvo S60 - Truckosaurus
Don't discount the D5 engined S60's either, huge amounts of torque make their Real World speed quite remarkable.
Volvo S60 - cheddar
Don't discount the D5 engined S60's either, huge amounts of torque make their Real World speed quite remarkable.

In fact they (the up to 2005 163ps ones) are not that torquey for the size of the engine (2.4 ltrs), their 340nm is exceed by the 2.0 ltr Mondeo/X-Type's 350nm yet alone the 2.2's 400nm, and these are all also Ford group cars.

On the other hand the S-60 is a good car to drive all models being pretty quick, though I cannot agree with SJB that it is the prettiest saloon, nor is the V70 the best looking estate - albeit worthy cars both.
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
I know I know. But you could hardly call my current car one to which every young lad aspires to own could you?

I must say, I'm liking the performance figures of the T5 and I am in agreement with SJB. I think it's the nicest looking saloon around. Well, apart from the obvious exception. (I do think the V70 is the nicest looking estate too with the 407 following close behind). Out of interest Cheddar, what would your prettiest saloon/estate choices be? It's funny how different people like different things isn't it? I mean, I can't see how anyone could not like this,

img158.exs.cx/img158/7983/shiny7xm.jpg

as far as average saloons go of course but my Dad's not a big fan at all and like the Omega more. (I do like the Omega too though to be fair).

I know it's not a dream car but if I had a T5 that looked like that in 2 years time I'd be one very happy chappy.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Keep it coming.

--
Adam
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
Oh - I'm too young for a diesel yet I think. I like the howl of a petrol engine when you're really going for it and I don't want to give that up yet.

I will have a diesel. Just not anytime soon.
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - Svelte
Hello Adski
My first S60 was a 2.4T followed by a D5. Front seats are very comfortable and supportive; dash has good ergonomics; CD/radio on SE spec is excellent. 2.4T was very fast but thirsty and D5 is relatively economical and fast enough.
Turning circle, particularly with 17" wheels is abysmal and occasionally embarrasing; the beige dash reflects on the windscreen and can appear like a mirage under certain conditions such as bright sunlight. Also all engines are fitted with cam belts.
S
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
To give an idea of relative economy, my V70 2.4T SE averaged about 27.5MPG on super unleaded when in standard tune, which I thought pretty good for the strong performance. Since the BSR upgrade the available performance is verging on bonkers (helped by 252bhp/410NM) and is better than a stock T5. Average economy (also on super unleaded but mandatorily so now) has improved to just over 29 MPG. I was told that this would happen before I did the tuning and I treated the news with some sceptisism, but it was true; the times I use all the horses are relatively few in any journey and the improved cruising efficiency outweighs when I do. I had the car dynoed recently and the fuelling was impressive; absolutely spot on apart from the part throttle / engine rev combination used for EU emissions testing where (as when in standard tune) it went momentarily lean. If most manufacturersd do this trick - like Honda also does with my motorbike to meet drive by noise at specified rpm limits - it seems the rules are certainly there to be broken.

Anyway, for comparison my bro drives a 2002 V70 D5 SE auto, and he was averaging low forties per gallon when I last asked him. Once rolling, his D5 is not actually much slower than the standard 2.4T (163bhp/330NM v 200bhp/285NM) so I would agree with earlier comments implying that it is a good compromise. Current model D5s have 180 bhp and 400 NM and economy in the same ballpark as the 163bhp models.

I totally agree with the oil tanker turning circle when shod with 17" wheels and especially so when, like my V70, equipped with the lowered suspension option (Volvo fit longer stops to prevent wheel arch fouling, but even so I rub the inner arch if manoeuvring in a car park on full lock above crawling speed)

I also agree with dash reflection in the windscreen in strong light because of the rake of the glass. Beige is indeed worse than the grey I have, but even so I can't drive up to our garage door in late evening without driving very slowly and stopping the split second vision improves; it does so when the bumper is about 5" from the garage door!

Cam belts are no problem with 100k change intervals and a history of infact lasting much longer; a friend in Sweden went way past 120k miles (and then sold the car on the original belt!)
Volvo S60 - cheddar
Whatever Volvo or Ford claim (they both say 100k) for cambelt life I would never go beyond approx 60k or 5 years, it is just not worth the risk.
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
Svelte, SJB and Cheddar, thanks for your input.

It sounds like I'm getting one imminently (I wish) but I'm not. I'll still provide some feedback though.

Economy isn't an issue. Having just put in the 55th pound of juice in mine this week, I'm well used to putting a load of petrol in.

Cambelts - don't bother me. The interval for mine is 100k and I've just had it done at 71,000 so it's hardly a thing to change often.

Turning circle and dash reflections - lets just say, after reading some specs on the T5, I could happily live with those!

Now I just need to get a go in one....

Thanks again
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - $till $kint
And don't S60s look good in that rather stunning golden colour. Not many saloons can carry that off.

It's so popular on V70s around cetain parts of West London that the motor trade has affectionately termed the colour as Jewish Racing Gold. My rather stout motor trader friend (who's mother has never forgiven him for not being a doctor) thinks it's a rather apt name and chuckles into his bagel each time he gets offered one in part ex.

He then phones his trader mates in Swiss Cottage, St Johns Wood and the surrounding area for an underwrite, despite being based in Hampshire. Smart boy.
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
I'm amazed given you have no money that you've managed to purchase such a vast quantity of alcohol (and clearly consumed it) in such a short amount of time ;-)
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - $till $kint
Not a drop has passed my lips sir. Was my tale of motor trade ha-has indicative of a soupcon of sauce?
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
No more indicative than your past 53 posts no.
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
And don't S60s look good in that rather stunning golden colour.
Not many saloons can carry that off.

Yes, exactly as I said a few posts previously! ;-) I agree with your good taste.

It's so popular on V70s

Probably a typo given the above reference to S60s but Maya Gold has never been an option on V70s.
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
I do like the gold colour but looking at that black in my earlier link is changing my mind rather swiftly.
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - Nickdm
Adam - you may not need to stretch your budget to a T5. I've got the entry model 2.0TS, and it's still got plenty of poke and will run at 140mph. It'll blow a 320i into the weeds. And you won't be a stereotyped BMW driver, or their alternative clone, Mr. Not-a-BMW Audi.

Mine's titanium grey with standard 16 inch alloys and still looks special when washed. Yes, rear seat space is limited but compare it with a 3-series or an A4 and it's fine. The boot aperture is small but it's actually quite a good-sized boot.

I'd have a V70 but the asking price - new or used - is considerably higher. And has lifestyle connotations...

People are catching on: I'm sure I read somewhere a few months back that the S60 is now outselling the V70?
Volvo S60 - $till $kint
Sorry, should have been C70, and it's more of a copper colour on that model? Still gets the same tag from the traders.
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
Sorry, should have been C70, and it's more of a copper
colour on that model? Still gets the same tag from
the traders.

The "same tag" is accurate because they are the same Maya Gold colour (code 451) confirmed by a quick Google; www.volvoclub.org.uk/paint_colour_codes.shtml

Still looks great on the C70 as well as the S60.
Volvo S60 - Avant
"Turning circle, particularly with 17" wheels is abysmal and occasionally embarrassing" -

I wonder why Volvo has lost the art of the tight turning circle: this was one of the selling points of the "Swedish tanks" the 140 / 240 and 740 / 940.

FWD may have something to do with it, but seven big Renaults, a Golf estate and the current A4 have all ben excellent in this regard, although SWMBO's Honda Civic S is another bad one.

It's surprising how often one blesses a good 'lock' and curses a bad one - maybe it's just that I often drive in strange towns and soetimes go the wrong way!
Volvo S60 - trancer
I must be the only one who doesn't like the Maya Gold colour. Silver doesn't do the car any favours either, which I find strange as almost every other car looks good in silver. It would be interesting to hear what other D5 S60 owners are getting for fuel consumption.

Volvo S60 - WipeOut
I've got a D5 auto and regularly get around 43 - 45mpg. That is mixed driving and not particularly restrained.

I think the D5 engine is the one to go for. Great performance, economy, revs well, and doesn't sound like a diesel (sounds great). On paper not as fast as the T5, but very driveable and is very fast between 30 - 80 mph which is what you want for overtaking. The standard auto is good, avoid the geartronics, they are hateful.

Beige interior is lovely, but as stated reflects on the windscreen on sunny day. This is easily fixed by wearing polarised sunglasses which I would wear anyway. Beige interior is far more cheary than dull blacks and grey.

Avoid 17" wheels, look great, but worsen the ride, don't really improve the handling and make the turning circle worse still.

HiFi is fantastic in the Volvo, and they are very well specified in comparison to the BMW and Audi. For instance you'll lots of little items that are extra in the BMW and Audi. Footwell and reading lights, graduated windscreen, excellent hifi, lumbar support, excellent supportive and comfortable seats, split fold rear seats, dual climate, folding front passenger seat etc. I've got an S spec and it still very well specified.

BMW is more fun to drive, but the Volvo is a more comfortable and spacious cruiser. Ignore the old mans image thing (it's wearing thing like a Skoda joke) and remember the 3 series is becoming the new Mondeo man (not that there is anything wrong with Mondeo's). I live in the Thames Valley and it feels like every other car is 3 series; so boring.

Hope this helps.

WipeOut
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
I must be the only one who doesn't like the Maya
Gold colour. Silver doesn't do the car any favours either,
which I find strange as almost every other car looks good
in silver. It would be interesting to hear what other
D5 S60 owners are getting for fuel consumption.

Well, we're all different which I think is a good thing!

My personal order of colour preference for the S60 is

1) Maya Gold
2) High gloss black (but the spec must include front fogs, and rear chrome exhaust tip to finish the effect off)
3) Silver

I also like silver on the V70, but chose ruby red because every man and his dog orders silver just as they do on the ubiquitous Three Series BMWs that clutter up the streets around me. How unoriginal on two counts!

The V70 and S60 both have a wonderful concave complex curve running down the flank of the car and the colours above really show it off to best effect.

When it comes to your fuel consumption question, I would expect an easy low to mid forties. As wrote above, my bro gets this from his V70 (slightly porkier than an S60 and fractionally less aerodynamic) despite an auto box (avoid the troublesome Geartronic) and a heavy right foot.

One thing we haven't mentioned so far is the standard fit, terrific, Dolby Surround hifi. With such a hushed cabin to help, it is the best standard fit setup I have tried and when adding the Premium Sound upgrdade as I did it becomes a veritable concert hall experience.
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
HiFi is fantastic in the Volvo
One thing we haven't mentioned so far is the standard fit,
terrific, Dolby Surround hifi.

Cross posting, but we are in agreement! (though I don't agree about the beige/taupe interiors; I don't just dislike the colour but also that Volvo let their penny pinching side down by continuing to fit some of the grey trim items (such as seat belts) which really clash. Rover did the same thing with my father's 820 and the jarring effect was the same)
Volvo S60 - WipeOut
Saphire black is a great colour as it goes well with the rubber black inerts etc.
Volvo S60 - $till $kint
Apart from Maya Gold, isn't there a darker coppery/gold colour? I spoke to my trader mate and he's adamant that the V70 and C70 were available in JRG.
Volvo S60 - Jix
I've had my S60 for over and year and absolutely love it.

It's a T5 in silver with sat nav, TV, leather, etc, etc.

The hi-fi is superb, it's the comfiest thing I've ever been in and it's pretty quick for a big car - not quite in the same league as my Integrale but still it'll make a BM 328 look a bit silly.

As others have said, the turning circle is epic - I don't have the dashboard reflecting problem...

There's a T5 here :

snipurl.com/hebw {Link to usedcartrader website shortened. DD}

You really won't get a better car for that money!

Jix
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
Apart from Maya Gold, isn't there a darker coppery/gold colour?
I spoke to my trader mate and he's adamant that the
V70 and C70 were available in JRG.

The old V70 that was effectively a spruced up 850 did indeed have a gold option specifically for the V70R model, but the current generation V70 that being described in this thread (i.e. P2 platform shared with the S60 and S80) has never had a gold option. I know, because along with the S60s spaceball gear lever, I wanted it but couldn't have it!

A friend of mine a few hundred yards up the road has a previous generation V70R on an 'R' plate in the gold colour, and it is certainly very close to, if not, Maya Gold. Looks the dogs danglies.
Volvo S60 - $till $kint
Cheers for that.
Volvo S60 - Truckosaurus
Re: D5 consumption.

My 2002-model has been Superchipped and the computer average has ranged from 46 to 52mpg. Very happy with the car.

Thinking of looking into 'Police Spec' poly bushes for the front suspension as word has it that this transforms the handling.
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
Thinking of looking into 'Police Spec' poly bushes for the front suspension as word has it that this transforms the handling.

Here you go: www.powerflex.co.uk/select_products.asp

As only part of their Volvo range is listed on line, you might like to also be aware of sales@powerflex.co.uk

I can't comment on their poly suspension bushes beyond knowing they are a popular 'performance upgrade' in the Volvo community, but I have experienced their poly upper torque mount for the engine (the mount that attaches to what looks like a strut brace); it works very well but slightly more vibration reaches the cabin especially at idle, and in the case of autos, when idling in gear. I chose to stick with a standard item when mine tore (as the original standard one - now redesigned by Volvo because of this - always does).
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
Many thanks for all of the continued replies.

I'm really really warming to the idea. Even if it isn't a T5 as Nickdm says, the 2.0 T should be pokey enough.

Nothing will happen for at least 18 months yet anyway so I feel bad at not being able to update you for a good while.

Money depending though, it will be on the next car list I think.

Many thanks again,
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - trancer
Well I am hoping to change my car much sooner than 18 months (more like 2-3) and the S60 will definately be on the short list if I can realistically expect to achieve 40-45 mpg from the D5, so additional comments are more than welcome, if adski doesn't mind an interloper. My other short listers are a Golf GT TDI or A4 TDI.

Just need to sort out my insurance predicament. My current car is a group 15 yet when trying for quotes on other newer group 15s (and lower) I am looking at paying 3 times more than I pay now...simply because of the mandatory fully comp nonsense.
Volvo S60 - Wales Forester
I have an 02 plate 2.0T SE which I bought in May 05 with 87k and FVSH for £6900.
Stonking car, plenty fast enough, does 29-33 mpg with my driving style and is as smooth and comfy as I have experienced.

On the downside the turning circle, as mentioned, is truly abysmal!

PP
Volvo S60 - trancer
Will some nice moderator please edit the link in Jix's post?. I am going cross-eyed panning the page repeatedly.
Volvo S60 - Dynamic Dave
Will some nice moderator please edit ....

Done. It wasn't having any noticable effect on my screen, otherwise I would have edited it earlier. DD.
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
so additional comments are more than welcome, if adski doesn't mind an interloper<<

Not in the slightest.
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - Buster Cambelt
SJB we still seem to be on diferent planets. I have a 2004 V70 D5 and I can't stand the thing (see my other posts for the history).

It is full of bugs, I am back every week getting one thing fixed or another, plus it still doesn't ever get over 30mpg. Easily the most disappointing car I have ever owned (but I do like the colour - Cedar Green - so that's one compensation I guess).

I'd also really love to know where this hushed cabin and wonderful sound system come in. The HU-650 (?) system in my V70 simply can't compete with the engine noise and the creaks and rattles from inside.

I'd unload it now if I could stomach the £5k minimum hit that I would take.
Volvo S60 - Adam {P}
Right - I managed to have a play in one this morning.

I like. The interior's completely different when you're sitting in it. It feel much more like a cockpit than mine which I like because it's quite different.

I've no idea what the stereo model was but it was the standard unit in a 2.0 SE and it was amazing. I thought mine was pretty good as does my mate who's got a Clio 172 which has a pretty good stereo too. This sounded 10 times better. Richer, nice bass tones and can go far louder than my ears would allow me to listen too.

Definitely a contender. A very nice car indeed.
--
Adam
Volvo S60 - Audikid

I've had my S60 2.0T SE auto for a few months now and love it. Had Audis for the last 8 or 9 years and needed a second car and didn't want to spend the money A4s were going for at Audi dealers.

I think mine was a rental car then sold on by a Volvo franchise but there is not a blemish anywhere. The value was great considering all the options Audi make you pay for are included (eg. rain sensor wipers, autodip mirror). Mine was 9 months old, 10k miles and included a sunroof, winter pack and after some protracted haggling I drove it away for £13.5k. Granted in 3 years time an equivilent A4 will probably be worth a bit more but its an awful lot of car for 13.5k

I think the best bit are the seats, thumping hifi and the warbling 5 cylinder engine - noise reminds me of an old Audi 90 I had.

Bad points - slight power steering issue (see my post on the tech forum!), turning circle already mentioned, interior plastics and switchgear not up to Audi standards. The boot opening is a bit narrow too but I'm struggling now......

Fuel economy has been as expected - around 32 or 33 on the motorway and mid 20's in inner London.

AK
Volvo S60 - Nickdm
- I keep reading somewhere that the injectors on D5s that have covered 60-80k miles have a habit of failing, costing hundreds & hundreds of pounds to replace?

I get around 33mpg from the 2.0T petrol, not bad considering I was only getting 36mpg from the V40 1.6 it replaced

Slightly separate tack: the V50 gets a bit of a panning today in the Telegraph, for it's sky-high prices. I tend to agree!
Volvo S60 - nortones2
BC: I remember the car was a bother and apparently well below par. Didn't the solicitor get some action on the defects?
Volvo S60 - Buster Cambelt
The car is still a total pain but Volvo are at least taking some note of the problems now. It has been with them for 8 days since June and we still have some basic issues like poor starting, noisy and rough running and very poor consumption - but to be honest the other D5s that I have driven have been no more refined.

Right now I am waiting on fixes for the alarm / immobiliser, the air con (see post in technical matters - Volvo just say some do this), sticking tailgate lock and a non-functional rear washer. The last one takes the biscuit really, the front bumper and offside headlight have to be removed to replace the washer motor. Bear this in mind if you will be paying the bills someday. I have also been waiting for a replacement rear seat cover since June. I have given up on the "Info Centre", it is just a random number and message display.

All in all I am totally disappointed and disillusioned. It seems that long-standing Volvo owners like them as they are much better than earlier models... I came back to Volvo after 7 years and I was obviously wrong to do so. getting rid of it is not an option, outside of the Volvo network a sub-one year old V70 is worth peanuts.
Volvo S60 - nortones2
There must be something seriously wrong for yours to run so badly - sounds like something major. Petrol used mistakenly by previous owners, or injectors up the Swannee? Although I've only driven a D5 for a few miles it was smooth and responsive. The sales guy was keen to show off its 'refinement", compared with expectations from a petrol Honda owner. Rev'd it in neutral: gave it some welly whilst I was passengering, so I could hear without distraction.
Volvo S60 - SjB {P}
SJB we still seem to be on diferent planets. I have
a 2004 V70 D5 and I can't stand the thing (see
my other posts for the history).

It's fairly obvious Buster C from your posts here and on Volvospy under a different alias that you don't get on with your car and probably have a duffer. However, I write as I find find; mine is terrific, as is my brother's 2002 V70 D5 auto and every other P2 platform Volvo (S60/V70/S80) I have travelled in or driven.
it still doesn't ever get over 30mpg.

Well, bro easily gets in to the forties with his aforementioned V70 D5 auto. Fact, and I've never come across another D5 driver that gets less than high thirties.
I'd also really love to know where this hushed cabin and
wonderful sound system come in. The HU-650 (?) system in my
V70 simply can't compete with the engine noise and the creaks
and rattles from inside.

Yes, the cabin is great. A really hushed place in which to travel at any speed. I was reminded of this last night as the missus drove me back from a wedding reception in the wee small hours; With music switched off, whooshing along at a good ninety was like watching a video of it with the sound turned almost off. No squeaks and the only rattle (now solved with a simple fix of my own) was when the load cover is extended because of a design flaw that all P2 V70s suffer from. The standard fit HU-803 in my brother's V70 is superb; effortless power and a wonderful open sound. Just terrific. The HU-803 head unit in my V70, replete with Premium Sound upgrade including Dynaudio speakers is absolutely awesome. A real concert hall or kick ass rock machine with deep, deep, tigtly controlled bass as takes your fancy.

We're delighted we purchased the V70 and intend keeping it for a good many years yet. I hope you get yours sorted because if you write as accurately as I have no reason to doubt, all is not right.