Audi A4 timing belt - jimmy464
My audi A4 has come around to needing a new cambelt. I thought no problems 20 quid for a new belt and it will be sorted. Having checked up i need a new tensioner and cam belt and also a damper. Do i really need to bother replacing the other bits as they are quite a bit of money the damper is £80 alone
Any thoughts would be good.

thanks
Audi A4 timing belt - smokie
My recent experience shows it should ALL be replaced. The cambelt was replaced on my wife's Focus but the guy did not change the tensioner.

Naturally, it was the tensioner which collapsed just a few thou later, with the consequently large repair bill.
Audi A4 timing belt - Xileno {P}
It's just not worth the risk. Replace all the bits.
If you need convincing, ask your Audi dealer what the cost of repairing the engine would be if the belt broke...
Audi A4 timing belt - madf
Replace. Notorious for failing tensioners at 70k miles. I bought an A4 with a new cambelt and not a new tensioner. 20k miles and I replaced both...

madf

Audi A4 timing belt - El Dingo
Which engine?

On some Audi A4's the timing belt also drives the water pump.
El Dingo.
Audi A4 timing belt - BB
Doesn't the front have to come off the car to change the cambelt on these models?
Audi A4 timing belt - madf
"Doesn't the front have to come off the car to change the cambelt on these models?"
Yes on tdi models. Assume same on petrols..

madf

Audi A4 timing belt - El Dingo
.>> "Doesn't the front have to come off the car to change
the cambelt on these models?"
Yes on tdi models. Assume same on petrols..

You can move the whole of the so-called 'lock carrier' forwards to gain better access to the front of the engine. This is detailed in the Haynes manual for the A4.

El Dingo.