cam belt damage to a fiesta 1.8 diesel - bivviola
I bought a fiesta 1.8 diesel last week for 500 quid it came with a full service history. However first trip out and the cam belt snapped. I'm now being told that the engine will need to be stripped to check for damage and its going to cost around 450 to fix. There was no big bang or noise i just lost complete power and rolled to a halt (with the clutch in). Does anyone know what the chances are that i have knacked the car. If i have i think i'll just right the car off as the last fiesta i had was nothing but a pile of problems - but it was petrol and i was told i wouldn't have any problems with a diesel - but its not looking that way so far.
Any help and advice welcomed on anything cost, garages, mechanics - preferably mobile i'm in the Warrington area.
Thanks
Pam
cam belt damage to a fiesta 1.8 diesel - daveyjp
Been there, done that! Same car, same symptons - at a roundabout the car just died. This was three days before the car was due to have the belt changed too. Damage to mine was due to the tensioner wheel disintegrating causing damage to valves, oil seals etc. Cost about £900 to fix. Fortunately the cylinder head was OK as was the main fuel distribution pump. If these had needed changing it could have doubled the figure quoted.

Unfortunately until the car has been stripped down it's difficult to say how much damage was done - the engine was only idling when mine went so damage was fairly minimal.
cam belt damage to a fiesta 1.8 diesel - nick
Bung it on eBay for parts or put a s/h engine in from a scrappy (but probably not worth even that if you have to pay someone to do it). It's not even worth the expense of stripping it down to see. Loads of cheap cars out there, spend your money there instead.
cam belt damage to a fiesta 1.8 diesel - Xileno {P}
Where did you buy it from? If it was froma dealer then I think you may have some cover.
cam belt damage to a fiesta 1.8 diesel - bivviola
Thanks guys. Bought it from a friend of the family so no cover i'm afraid. I have opened the cylinder head and the cam shaft has broke (but i was on the motorway when it went so its nothing i wasn't expecting) i'm now looking to replace it. If you know whether all 1.8 ford diesel engines are the same or not i'd appricate you letting me know.