Renault Scenic '05 - rear brake squeal - PhilG
Morning all,

Those amongst you with a keen memory may recall that around six months ago, I posted here about one of my company's lease Renault Scenic DCi-100s being so badly faulty that it was eventually replaced.

Well, I've had the replacement car a good four months now (19,000 miles done), and yet again, I'm at the hands of the wonderfully competant Renault support staff.

Around 16,000 miles, the rear brakes started to squeal under moderate braking. This was most noticeable when braking up to a roundabout under normal conditions; the squeal started at around 30-40mph, and continued until you stopped.

Fair enough, I thought; it's due the first service soon, and it's most likely to need the discs or pads cleaning. So, it was dropped into a prominent South-East Renault dealer (I won't mention the exact name because last time the board Admin removed it, but it's a different dealer this time around), along with a minor niggle to do with the passenger-side electric window.

When I came to pick it up, I was told the following:

1. They couldn't find anything wrong with the passenger-side window (which is rubbish as it makes a loud repetative clicking noise at it hits the extent of its upwards travel every time), so they can't do anything about that. Not a huge problem as I don't use it much and it doesn't really bother me.

2. The brake discs squealing would be a chargeable job (?!) and is due to to a) the position of the brake caliper (er.....) and b) the use of asbestos-free brake pads, whose dust, when wet, forms into little "diamond-like" lumps on the pad, which then makes the squealing noise. Their suggestion was to take it to a car wash and use a pressure washer on the back of the wheel for 2-3 minutes per wheel.
They also told me that they couldn't clean the pads under warranty because it's a "non-service" item and Autolease won't pay for it.

Does anyone else find this a bit strange? Could anyone explain exactly why the rear brakes are squealing, and what can be realistically done to stop this?

Surely asbestos-free pads have been used for many years now, and wouldn't this then happen to pretty much any car manufacturered in the last 5-10 years?
Also, the suggestion to clean the back of the wheels amuses me, as that'll only clean one side of the disc...

I should mention that I service my own car, so if the suggestion is to remove the wheel and clean the brake pads myself, then that's fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome.
Renault Scenic '05 - rear brake squeal - BobbyG
Phil, I was told exactly the same by my Renault dealer on my squealing brakes. However, I did actually do what they suggested with the jet wash and it did work. I also did the same to my sisters C3 and her squealing stopped (sorry her brakes squealing!)

I wash the car myself at home with a power washer and every time I wash I make a point of getting the nozzle in around the brakes and give them a good blast.
Renault Scenic '05 - rear brake squeal - BobbyG
Original post
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33456&...e