Mercedes CDI glow plugs - Aprilia
Just a little warning for anyone contemplating buying a used Merc CDI. Get the glowplugs checked before you buy.

I just bought a CDI from auction, intending to sell on. It needs a glowplug. After loads of work stripping it down to get access (very awkward), I can't shift the glowplug. Its stuck in the head and there's a risk of snapping it off.
I rang a MB tech mate of mine. Apparently what they do in the dealer workshop is use a torque wrench to undo them. If the plug doesn't free by the time a certain torque is reached (I don't have the figure, sorry) then they abandon the job and leave the duff plug in place. Obviously if the plug snaps then the head most likely will have to come off and its a VERY expensive job.
Mercedes CDI glow plugs - MW
Why oh why do they not have an industrial process to 'coat the threads with copper grease?
With Ford plugs, a smear of grease = a new life of freedom. Nobody seems to use grease any more.
As my first car was an Austin A40 and every nut corroded, I have had a lifetime obssesion with greasing threads in the belief that in 6 years time all will be well.
Worked to perfection recently on the threads that go into the distributor casting on an MB, when I replaced the cap.