tyre tests - tyro
I've been looking at the latest tyre test from AutoExpress - available as a pdf download (thanks, colinh for the pointer).

I found it interesting, but something about it surprised me. They tested tyres for wet & dry braking, wet & dry handling, aquaplaning, rolling resistance, noise - even price - but they did NOT rate tyres for wear. Surely if we want to know all those other things, we are going to want to know how well a tyre will wear and how long it might last.

Is there any particular reason why they might not have tested wear rates? I take it that other tyre tests do look at this?

And can anyone tell me if there are other tyre tests available online - particularly British ones (since I assume that in the US tyres are not always the same - and probably have different names anyway?)(Yes, I know about Tyres-Online)

And - while we are on the subject of tyres - if different tyres have different braking characteristics, does that mean that when car mags like What Car test the braking of cars, the difference between different cars may be due more to the OEM tyres fitted than to the brakes themselves?
tyre tests - drbe
Is there any particular reason why they might not have tested
wear rates? I take it that other tyre tests do
look at this?

Presumably, because tyre wear is the most difficult and expensive thing to test objectively.

Talk to any motorist - here or elsewhere - and you will get umpteen different answers to the same question - what mileage can I expect to get from a set of tyres.

Which? magazine test tyres in conjunction with other European consumer groups. I consider their tests to be as accurate as is reasonable to expect.

You could have a look at www.safercars.gov/tires/pages/tireratings.cfm yes it is American.

Or, you can get on your hands and knees and peer at the side wall of any tyres you fancy and you should see TWR (tread wear rating) in small letters - my Michelins are 240.
tyre tests - Colonel Panic
I have read though that these TWR are meaningless, as there is no standard. The tyre makers just choose what 100 is, so you can only compare across the same brand.
tyre tests - Bill Payer
Ive always thought (but not sure where I got this from) that treadwear 100 = 15000 miles. (Perhaps that was just an example)?
Anyway, makes sense as on current tyres as they're are 140 (lowest I've ever owned) and they're fairly well worn at 14,000 (mainly motorway cruising) miles.
I couldn't find TWR numbers on the Pirelli tyres on my lasy car, so perhaps they're not always used in Europe?
tyre tests - AndyT
Have you got a link to that pdf? I've tried loking at the product tests with no success.

Cheers.
tyre tests - Colonel Panic
Must have taken me 10 mins too!

www.autoexpress.co.uk/website/?ae_data/special_fea...l
tyre tests - AndyT
Thanks for that. :o)
tyre tests - drbe
Must have taken me 10 mins too!
www.autoexpress.co.uk/website/?ae_data/special_fea...r

es_index.html

That link doesn't seem to work, could a mod. have a look at it please?
tyre tests - tyro
Or use the primitive way:
www.autoexpress.co.uk
then go to "News"
then to "News Features"
tyre tests - Dynamic Dave
That link doesn't seem to work, could a mod. have a
look at it please?

Works fine for me. Unless you mean when you click on it, it doesn't work. Try copying the link and pasting it into your url browser bar.

DD.
tyre tests - Stuartli
www.testworld.fi/?sivu=rengastestaus&kieli=en

www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/tyrenews.html

www.tiscali.co.uk/shopping/which_reports/which_tyr...l

www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/32.html

www.nokiantyres.com/vehicletesting_en

www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreinfo.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by