Volvo S60 T5 Starting - volvos60T5SE
Hi there,
this is not really an urgent post. I was just pondering about some minor niggles on my volvo S60 T5. 1. When I start the car up, hot or cold, it turns over ranging between 1.5 and 2 seconds before starting, is this normal? there is no problem with starting, i was just wondering why it takes so long.
2. I was at a set of traffic lights yesterday and i hadn't realised that the lights had gone to green, and pulled off a bit too sharpish and stalled the car. The car then turned over for about 5 or 6 seconds and then started, i was just wondering why this was? thanks
Volvo S60 T5 Starting - Number_Cruncher
While I don't know this for a fact, during starting, I wouldn't be surprised to find that the injection of fuel is deliberately suppressed for a few revs to ensure that the engine is in a position to be able to burn the fuel effectively when injection is enabled. A few cycles of compression heat going into the combustion chamber walls will raise their temperature and will reduce the heat lost to the combustion chamber walls during the first firings, and should reduce flame quenching and reduce the possibility of a total misfire.

While I don't intend to compare your motor with a truck, I do know that Volvo did incorporate this feature on their trucks to comply with emmissions regs (Euro II IIRC - mid 1990's) to prevent, or reduce the plume of smoke from unburnt fuel which was characteristic of a truck engine being started from cold.

On the post stall behaviour, I can offer no ideas.

Number_Cruncher

Volvo S60 T5 Starting - Adam {P}
Occasionally on mine, the car will take a few turns to start over. (The battery's on it's way out). If I'm a bit too quick and let go of the key before it's caught, I'll have to turn it for about 3 - 4 seconds longer for it to start.

I imagine this is something similar to your problem 2.
--
Adam