Toyota Liteace Diesel Overheating - Warren
Good afternoon All,
I have a Toyota Liteace 2 Ltr Diesel Van (1993) which we use for deliveries, and recently we have noticed that when driven over 50 MPH the temperature gauge shoots up to the red. On reducing the speed the gauge slowly returns to around mid way. We have checked system and we are not losing water. We have replaced the thermostat, but still the same. We are not getting any smoke out the back of the van, so presume it is not the head. The Viscous fan appears to be working o.k. Is there anything we are missing, or can anyone shed any light as to why this may be happening, as we are getting flashed by Artics on the M25 for going too slow!!
Thanks in advance.
Warren
Toyota Liteace Diesel Overheating - Aprilia
Whole cooling system needs checking really. Sounds like a flow restriction. Could be blocked rad, collapsed pipe etc. My money would be on the waterpump (vanes missing/eroded) but you really need to check the vehicle before jumping to conclusions.
Toyota Liteace Diesel Overheating - Dave N
These are notorious for cooling problems, which will eventually warp the head.

You'll need a new radiator and water pump, as well as a new fan clutch. There's probably 12 years of sludge and scale inside the rad, and you need a good fan clutch to pull the air through. Because of where it all is, under the seats, maintenance gets skimped.
Toyota Liteace Diesel Overheating - Warren
Many Thanks Aprilia & Dave N.
I guess that's my weekend sorted.
Warren
Toyota Liteace Diesel Overheating - Thomas Bolton

Hi I know this is a long shot.. I'm just wondering did you solve the liteace overheating problem? Because I have the carbon copy problem..1993 liteace van diesel. Going near the red when driving but when I let it idle the temp goes back to normal. Perfectly in the center.

I replaced the thermostat and still the same...

Just wondering what to check next? Don't want to open stuff that doesn't need fixing

Thank you ??

Toyota Liteace Diesel Overheating - bathtub tom

I think you'll be lucky to get a reply, as the OP last posted eighteen years ago.

Toyota Liteace Diesel Overheating - Adampr

Early 90s Toyota diesels were notorious for cooling problems. The 2.4 2LTE engine was infamous to the point of some garages refusing to touch them.

The best starting point is almost always to replace the radiator cap, as it may be letting pressure out of the system. At the same time, it's worth pulling the thermostat out and putting it in a bowl of boiling water to make sure it still works.

If neither of those work, and the water pump is OK, you can flush and refill the cooling system to get all the gunge out. Check also that the hoses to your coolant header tank are intact and not blocked.

If all of that fails, the cylinder head is probably cracked and you will be looking at getting rid of it. A new head will be over £1,500 fitted.

Thanks guys for your imput.

It's doesn't boil or lose water or pressure from the cap. I've flushed the rad and engine it seemed very clean, no sludge. I'm going to investigate the viscous fan and water pump next.

Many thanks

Ps I knew it was a long shot hoping the original post from Warren in 2005

Just thought you got emailed when there was new reply to your post. Worth a try ??