1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - Tom S-S
My great uncle owned one of these in the late thirties it was an early 30s model possible registered in 1933 with an unusual 4 door body. He bought it in preference to the newer six cylinder model and we still have the correspondence with the garage over which model he should have. It cost £1100 !!! a lot then.

He drove a lot in it and we have pictures of him in the alps with it in the '30s!

After the war it was sold. Where is it now.

Its registration was DAK 880.

It would be great if it is still alive some where any ideas?
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - Dwight Van-Driver
Tom

Contact your local D.V.L.C and for a small fee they will advise if D.A.K. 880
is currently registered and who the owner is. You might be lucky that it's still in being as a Classic (or Veteran?).

Otherwise it might just be another Duckhams tin resting in the hedgerow.

DVD.
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - steve paterson
A while back I was looking for details of a Reg. number. Someone suggested www.elephant.co.uk Complete the form as though seeking an insurance quote. Eventually, details of the car to which the number is allocated appear.
It worked twice for me, the first time showed that the number had been transferred, the second time I got details of my current car, but the engine size was wrong.
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - Dan J
Are you sure? I wrote to them a few years back enquiring about several of our old Cortinas and a Corsair [doubtlessly on the scraphead years ago] and the letter I got back from the DVLC said they couldn't offer me any information, even if only to tell me if they were still on the road because of the Data Protection Act. Is this now possible?

Dan J
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - David W
Dan,

I think they will only send the full info to the address of the registered owner. So you'll only get the info on your own car.

David
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - Dan J
Thought so!

Thanks David
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - Tomo
Tom,

Sorry to nark, but perhaps I'm the only Lagonda Club member on here! An early 30's car would be a four (2 litre) or a six (3 litre, 16/80, M45 etc).

The V12 ("The Best Car in the World", they said to annoy RR?), by W. O. Bentley appeared at the 1937 show and were sold from 1938 to 1940, when the war put a stop to it just when they had had the teething troubles and were sorting them out.

Two of them ran at Le Mans in '39 preparatory to a proper effort in 1940, at a set cruising speed and were third and fourth!

Very fine indeed and your great uncle should have been a happy man.

For a very useful potted Lagonda history with good illustrations see Lagonda 1899-1999, Images of Motoring series, compiled by Arnold Davey. The Amazon search engine should find it pronto.

I shall try to find the Register and have a hunt through.

The LG6, also 4.5 litres but Meadows six-cylinder was very similar but a bit slower and £300 odd pounds cheaper. The new price of a V12 chassis was £1200, £1225 or £1250 depending on wheelbase, to which would be added the cost of a coachbuilt body; Or you could have Lagonda's own bodywork for £1600 (saloon)), £1625 (drophead - and drop dead!) or £1850 (limousine).

I only ever had a 1929 high chassis 3 litre Special.

Regards, Tomo
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - Tomo
Sorry, no DAK880 in the Register. That does not mean it has not survived; it might not be in the Club or have been re-registered; or even (regrettably in my view) made into a Le Mans Replica, of which there are several.
Re: 1930s Lagonda V12 Saloon DAK 880 - ROBIN
The v12 Lagonda engine,like the v12 RR engine,which I think it inspired,were engines ahead of lubrication oil technology.
With current oils they would run like birds!
If only most had survived to do so.
It has to be said,and I am sure that I am only repeating the great Leonard Setright,that the more cylinders an engine has,the better that engine will be.
We all get stupidly obsessed by fuel consumption.
My mother,who is 81, is considering the purchase of a new Volvo,she is concerned because the model she wants may do 2mpg less than the one she currently owns.
She does less than 5000 miles a year,although mostly at about Mach 5 on Cornish back roads,and has an income over expenditure ratio exceeding twice the average national earnings ,ignoring capital gains.
You see what I mean?
You think she is unusual?
Pretty well every member of every Cornish Golf club is the same.
In my unwanted capacity of proxy motoring adviser to about 2000 of them this red herring comes up almost weekly.
Lets get real,if you drive less than abot 8000 miles a year you dont need a car you need a taxi,and fuel consumption is much less important than depreciation.
Strangely the Cornish sagagolfers never ask my mummy to ask me about depreciation,just mpg.