Clio 172mk1 Head Troubles! - rogmackay
Aaarrrgggg!!!

My garage managed to make a mess of dojng the timing during its MOT .... they used the wrong timing device and snapped the belt, which in turn sent all 16valves into the Head!!!

So ... they're fixing it - reconditioning what they can and replacing the rest.

My Q is, is this serious damage? Will it ruin the cars performance? and what about it's resale value?

Hope someone can help me out ...

R.
Clio 172mk1 Head Troubles! - Xileno {P}
I am not sure what they were doing on the MOT that would cause the belt to snap - not on a petrol anyway. On a diesel yes, since they have to rev the engine hard for the emissions test.

Provided the job is done properly, there should be no problem with the performance. Run the new head in gently though.

As far as resale is concerned, why should anyone need to know?
Clio 172mk1 Head Troubles! - cheddar
Valves hitting the top of pistons can effect the internal balance of an engine, an ex colleague had a cambelt go on a 16v Scenic, it was repaired though the engine was rough afterwards. In your case if it is not up to scratch it is up to the garage to put you back where you started even if a new or replacement engine is required.
Clio 172mk1 Head Troubles! - madf
Imo "doing the timing " means a mechanic was burning up the road to see how fast it would go.. Were you there? Check the mileage.

(ever the cynic:-)

madf

Clio 172mk1 Head Troubles! - rogmackay
Thanks folks ...

sounds like the stuff I was thinking anyway.
How much breaking in is breaking in?

500 miles - or more like 3000 miles?!!

Don't think it was getting ripped around, but you never know ... they were adjusting the timing when it happened - apparently!!

Renault said it needs a special timing device (stop me at any time you understand what I'm saying or smell the pink fluffy dice I can smell) !!!

Hope it's all good ... we'll see on wed!!

{Swearing removed. DD}