vauxhall vectra cam belt & tensioner - jeffyb
hi folks
vaxhall vectra 2.0 cd 16v w reg 78k
have had belt changed and head rebuilt from a certified mot garage £769 took car back to garage after two days with noise only to find that the cam tensioner was gone, replaced free of charge (kind) six days later cam tensioner has sheared off all values gone again been without car now for three weeks. should the tensioner and rollers have been fitted with the belt? if so are they liable and can the tensioner be over tightened. the way the mechanic was talking they are going to charge me again.thanks for any help
vauxhall vectra cam belt & tensioner - Dynamic Dave
should the tensioner and rollers have been fitted with the belt?

Not sure about should, but it's definately advisable to replace when changing the belt. Rather than just fitting a new belt, they *should* have fitted a cambelt kit.

If the cam tensioner was making a noise and they subsequently changed it; for it to then fail 6 days later makes me wonder not only why a part should fail this quickly but why they're thinking of re-charging you again. Surely their work should have a guarantee period as well as the parts replaced.
vauxhall vectra cam belt & tensioner - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Folly to change the belt without changing the tensioner and guides (and water pump at that mileage). If you had been given the opportunity to decline having the extra bits fitted then its down to you but if they only did half the job then you have a case. Personally I dont give the customer the option, its the full kit or I dont do the job. The fact the tensioner has sheared off points to either sub-standard parts or faulty installation either way its not your problem.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
vauxhall vectra cam belt & tensioner - Aprilia
Did the tensioner bolt shear? If so, probably over-torqued.
vauxhall vectra cam belt & tensioner - jeffyb
hi, thanks for your comments i will feel more confident in arguing my case, as for the tensioner bolt shearing no its still connected to part of the pump housing but im sure they will tell me its the pump thats at fault.