Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - davidw
Hi, the clutch failed on my 6 month old Mazda 6 TS2 Diesel after just 6,000 miles ! Mazda reckon its not a warranty job and so I had to part with £560. I'm not best pleased as I've never had a clutch go on me before, not even on the Rover 420 diesel with 80,000 miles on the clock I sold for the Mazda.
I've heard "unofficially" from a dealer that this is a "frequent" occurrence on the new 6, has anyone else had any clutch problems ?
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - madf
"Mazda reckon its not a warranty job and so I had to part with £560"

Threaten the with Trading Standards and Small Claims Court. It should be covered under warranty.

madf

Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Bromptonaut
Curious that this is the second current thread about clutch probs on new japanese diesels, other guy has an Avensis. Quite a bit of useful advice proffered.
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - daveyjp
Sounds like a warranty job to me. My father had a Fiesta which had clutch failure three times in 10,000 miles, all changed under warranty. He's a driving instructor so plenty of opportunity for Ford to say no!
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Dynamic Dave
I've heard "unofficially" from a dealer that this is a "frequent"
occurrence on the new 6, has anyone else had any clutch
problems ?

See the Car By Car Breakdown (in the ed menu on the left.

"One reader had a spate of problems in two and a half years:- new clutch (18,000miles)."
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Happy Blue!
I've driven automatics for years and never had a problem.....
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thanks for the replies so far, I'll give them another ring and try the "trading standards" approach.
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Leon on Derv
David,

I rejected a Mazda 3 diesel for a different reason - although still under the sale of goods act. Car developed an intermittent fault which limited it to 3000Rpm and made its behaviour unpredictable.

I rejected the car after a number attempts by the dealership to rectify the fault without success. Goods must be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose etc.

If mazda find it acceptable that a clutch should "go" before the car gets its first service, surely it should be in the service schedule as inspect and replace if necessary item???

Can you give any more details on the symptoms, noise, slippage, judder etc???

Leon

Leon - there were no signs of slippage, I just couldn't get it into gear, there was a bad burning smell, the clutch I assume, after I'd reversed up a steep hill. Unfortunately I didn't get the car directly from a Mazda dealer, I bought it from one of these places where they get the car from a hire company, who got the car from an authorised dealer, so according to the documentation I'm the second owner. I took delivery of it with only had 26 miles on the clock.I'm attemping to deal directly with Mazda.
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Happy Blue!
Mazda will not be interested other than as a general customer satisfaction point. You have no direct contract with them, only with the supplying dealer.

The only people you have a case against in law is the supplying dealer, so you must take it up with them first, although Mazda UK may get involved on the warranty side.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Collos25
Definite claim under the sales of goods act
I've just spoken to the original supplying dealer and they suggest I speak to Mazda customer services as they would have expected the whole clutch to be covered under warranty for 9,000 miles or 1 year, I'll let you know what happens, thanks for everything so far.
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - turbo11
i beleive that there may be a problem with the clutch plate failing to clear.This leads to rapid wear and possible failure.i also understand that it is caused by a combination of lack of lubrication and corrosion.Had a dragging clutch on my mazda 6 recently after it had stood stationary for a week.a few days pounding around town has cured it.Mentioned the problem to the dealer and he said he was aware of the problem and if it re-occured he would fix it under warranty.
Result ! I've received a cheque this morning for the cost of replacing the clutch, what a result ! I might have lost a bit of confidence in the car but I can't fault Mazda customer services, they didn't accept liability but offered the refund as a gesture of goodwill. Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Collos25
In times goneby you could change the clutch on a BMC 2200 in an hour and you did not really have to go underneath the car,Datsun cherries were the same.Oh how we have progressed.
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - madf
"In times goneby you could change the clutch on a BMC 2200 in an hour " and a Mini in 8 hours..

madf

"In times goneby you could change the clutch on a BMC 2200 in an hour " and a Mini in 8 hours.." and it took them nearly 20 to do my Mazda6 !
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Pugugly {P}
Friend had a paint problem on an MX5, exactly the same response,
poor dealer attitude more than made up for by Mazda themselves once she picked the phone up.
Mazda 6 Diesel Clutch failure - Bill Payer
"In times goneby you could change the clutch on a BMC
2200 in an hour " and a Mini in 8 hours.."
and it took them nearly 20 to do
my Mazda6 !

20hrs!! Where they doing it blindfolded :-)
Makes the original £560 charge seem something of a bargain.