Vehicle identity check - farmerhuw
I recently bought a Renault Clio and after sending off the log book I recieved a letter from DVLA. The letter stated that according to their records the car has been recorded as been scrapped or written off by an insurance company. I now have to arrange to have the car checked by VOSA for them to issue a pass certificate. When I finally get the log, providing its passed it will have accident damaged and/or substantially repaired on it.This will obviously have an effect on the saleability of the car and price.

Has anyone else had dealings with this. I am wondering if DVLA have made a mistake as the car's chassis is straight and only has two bumps on the bonnet. The previous owner said the log book before had no additional info about accidents!

many thanks

Farmerpalmer...

Vehicle identity check - Xileno {P}
If it does turn out that your car has been written off, then I would be looking for some explanations from the person that sold it to you.
Vehicle identity check - Galaxy
Is it worth doing an HPI check?
Vehicle identity check - Peter D
How did you buy the car, dealer, private, what. ?? Regards Peter
Vehicle identity check - cheddar
Is it worth doing an HPI check?

Rather shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, nevertheless an HPI check will provide a lot more detail. Only £35.
If it does turn out that your car has been written
off, then I would be looking for some explanations from the
person that sold it to you.

Yes, unless it is a DVLA error they must have known about the write off, even if it was not damaged in their ownership they would also have had a request for a VOSA inspection from the DVLA when they applied for a V5 in their name.
Vehicle identity check - Wally Zebon
If its a private sale then you're up the creek without a paddle. Buyer beware - sold as seen etc
HPI it first - ALWAYS!
Vehicle identity check - solara
I wrote off my own car a couple of years ago.
Oficially the insurance company is supposed to destroy the exisiting log book and notify DVLA/VOSA.
However, they posted it back to me, when I bought the car back off them.
I repaired it myself and had it VOSA checked and passed.
I held on to the original log book, until recently when they posted me the new euro style log book, with the note about it being accident damaged/repaired appearing on it.
I guess the owner you bought it off sold it with the original log book, which should have been destroyed.
Always worh giving DVLA/VOSA a call before buying a car.
Vehicle identity check - Collos25
This slightly different than bought as seen as there is an element of deliberate fraud if the previous owner new about it and failed to tell you.
Vehicle identity check - martint123
Yes, unless it is a DVLA error they must have known
about the write off, even if it was not damaged in
their ownership they would also have had a request for a
VOSA inspection from the DVLA when they applied for a V5
in their name.

Depends how long they have owned it. The VIC check is fairly recent.
I am still trying to locate the engine number to fill out the form! I have consulted my Hayne's manual but to no avail. The manual says the plate is at the front of the engine to the right of the dipstick....nothing appears to be there. Might have to ask a dealer to look for it..

Unfortunatly the car was bought by a friend on my behalf for a low price.<£500 Maybe a HPI check would have been worthwhile, and for a more expensive car I would have certainly had one carried out.

Many thanks for the replies so far.

I am looking in the right place for the engine number aren't I?????

Farmerpalmer
Vehicle identity check - No FM2R
If you can't find an engine number, then I would start to get worried. Look for the chassis number as well.

It is not impossible for a car to be written off but its registration number to turn up on another vehicle of more dubious heritage.
Vehicle identity check - Altea Ego
OH!

The engine number is not a plate. Its a flat shiny area of the engine casting with a number punched into it. Let us know if you find a flat clean area with no number.

Check the VIN plate - On the inner wing somewhere, in the engine compartment. It should be tightly rivited to the panel with no signs of being replaced or altered.

What year and model of Clio are we talking about?
1993 RL diesel

I've had a good look, but it's pretty tight at the front there with the fan and associated pipework!

The vin plate matches the MOT and looks pretty good.

FP
Vehicle identity check - Xileno {P}
Regarding the resaleability, being a 1993 car I wouldn't be bothered about this. Realistically the car is only worth a few hundred pounds.

However that doesn't alter the fact that you would *appear* to have been mislead.

I will have to get a bit of degreaser on to it! Will let you know!
Thanks

FP
Have located said engine number, after scratching my arm to bits and have sent off the form! Will have to wait and see whether I keep the car

Many thanks for your replies

Farmerpalmer
Vehicle identity check - road runner
this is not a HPI check, but as it's free & as it tells what type of vehicle the registration goes with it's worth knowing it exists.
www.rac.co.uk/web/carbuying/vehicle_data_search
Vehicle identity check - Happy Blue!
When I got my scooby, it was mistakenly registered in my wife's name and not mine and we only realised when the V5C came through.

I wrote to the DVLA and asked them to change it without increasing the number of keepers, which they did, but not before they asked me to confirm the chassis and engine number, from the car itself and not the V5C (which of course I had sent them!).
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?