Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
My own car. Has 25000 on the clock and has been brilliant apart from one annoying fault. At around 1500 - 2000 rpm you get a sound from the engine which is best described as a regular cracking noise almost like a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. MB say it is a common characteristic of this engine and nothing to worry about but it is driving me nuts. I have been on the Merc-Benz Owners Association forum and it seems I am not alone but MB seem reluctant or unable to resolve the problem which I personally think is a software fault running #1 cylinder too weak.
Anyone else in the same boat out there?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise - Altea Ego
Thought about getting it chipped? that would probably fix it.
Yes, chipping had crossed my mind especially as one contributor on the MB owners association forum had cured his with a Brabus kit. Brabus 'dont know'about the fault so consequently cant guarantee to cure it and at £2000 its a bit pricey to gamble although the performance boost to 250bhp and a gazillion foot pounds of torque without invalidating the MB warranty does raise a smile. What other chipping options are out there?
Andrew
--
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise - SjB {P}
As you may have read (in one or a million posts I've made! ;-) I am extremely happy with the BSR software tuning I applied in January to my Volvo V70 2.4T.

"What interest is that to me?" you ask.

Well, BSR also provide software tuning for some Mercedes cars, and if it's half as good as that on my Volvo, it's good. Very good.

A big advantage with BSR over most of their competitors is that the tuning is done by hand held device (PPC) plugged in to the OBDII port. Whilst the modified map downloads, a backup copy of the original one is taken should you ever need it. Swapping the maps back over is simply a matter of plugging the PPC back in and pressing the 'tune' button. Since I purchased my BSR package, the company has made the logical progression of allowing the PPC to function as an OBDII error message scan tool as well. As if this isn't good enough, the PPC can be used via USB connection in your computer to download any updates that are made available, before these are then transferred to the car via OBDII port. Finally, I have found my questions to be promptly and fully answered both before I purchased and since, so customer service has proven to be good.

Their tuning package for your car gives a claimed 229BHP and 583NM which if the dyno run on my car is anything to go by will be reasonably truthful.

Power and torque curves here: www.bsrab.se/products/n3107/t838/ (Click on the chart to enlarge it)

Have fun chosing if you go down this route.

Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise - SjB {P}
BTW the cost is 838 Euro.
About six hundred quid, and the same as I paid.
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise - Aprilia
Yes, I have heard of this problem. A Merc technician I know told me that its due to the acoustic characteristics of the engine block (i.e. the cylinder(s) is/are resonating slightly, like a bell). Don't know if this is true or not. Chipping it sounds like a pricey gamble - wait for a few others to try it.
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise - drbe
I have a MB E320CDI, I can't say I have ever noticed this problem.

My car is 2001 (Jan.) and has done 134,000 miles.

Don
Thanks SjB. BSR say their kit wont cure the problem.
drbe: not all the E320CDI engines make the noise which makes me even more determined to own one that doesnt. Several folk on the MB forum have had replacement engines so I am going down that route especially as the noise is now actually audible inside the car at all times rather than only in a confined space with the windows open. Its so disappointing as in every other respect the car is great.
Andrew
--
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise FIXED!!!!! - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Finally after complaining directly to M-B in Milton Keynes and Stuttgart and being told that it was an operating characteristic of the engine and that no action was possible and that it was not detrimental to the reliability or performance I let the matter rest and largely ignored it until a chance meeting with Vaughan Smith of AP Diesels in Englefield Green near Egham, Surrey at the 'Mechanex' at Sandown Park last year. He claimed that he knew what the problem was which was faulty injectors. I took the car in (now with 47000) on the clock and he removed the injectors and tested the deliveries and leakback rates. Sure enough, 4 were within spec but two were not, one with excessive leakback the other with poor delivery. Two reconditioned injectors later and the noise is gone, performance smoother and crisper and economy seems to be improved. I shall be contacting M-B for their comments and to let them know how to cure any more E320CDI's there are out there with the same 'incurable' problem!
Andrew
--
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise FIXED!!!!! - Roger Jones
Glad you fixed it, Andrew. Given the nature of the problem, it defies belief that MB do not understand it beyond its being "an operating characteristic of the engine". Do let us know what they say in response to your report.
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise FIXED!!!!! - injection doc
well done andrew, I expect MB won't take any notice whatsoever which has always been my point about dealerships! they dont belive they ever have a problem.
Regards Inj doc, ( shhssss) you know who! I have sold my business too so been slumming it for a while
Mrc E320 CDi cracking noise FIXED!!!!! - Bill Payer
Is injector testing something that's worth doing on a routine basis?