Ford Focus C-max - BazzaBear {P}
My mother-in-law, who has recently lost her husband, is looking for a new car, as she wants the peace of mind of a full warrantee.
Having a bad back, she's also quite enamoured of the C-max, the extra height being nice, and there being a Ford dealer just down the road.
So:
What do people know about this model, good or bad? (and yes, I've looked at the cbc, but there's not a lot on this model.)
Also, how are Ford dealers in general with discounts? And how popular / likely to be discounted is the C-max in particular?
I know Ford have this 'summer of love' thing going on at the mo, but she's not sure she'll be in a position to buy before it's over.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Ford Focus C-max - Pugugly {P}
Would the Fusion be a better buy ?
Ford Focus C-max - Morris Ox
My parents have been in exactly the same situation as your mum-in-law. Mum's movement is getting a little restricted, so she was after something she could effectively walk into and slide out of, as she was finding climbing up out of a conventional saloon increaisngly hard work.

So, they've bought a 4,000 mile old C-Max Zetec TDCi and they're thrilled with it. Very easy to get in and out of, good economy, good visibility, easy to drive and they both find it comfy on long journeys.

Buying experience? The initial line was that the dealer wouldn't budge an inch on a low part exchange offer (on a Passat). But they subsequently shaved £2k off the C-Max, which my Dad has effectively paid £11k for. He could probably have got a bit more if he'd pushed, but he wasn't bothered.

There are plenty of them around, and I wouldn't buy new. Go low mileage used and push for the deal you want - there are plenty of dealers, plenty of cars so push until you get the deal you want. I'm not sure the warranty is a massive issue - balance the fact that a used C-Max will be considerably cheaper than a new one, then find out how much it would cost to extend the warranty up to the length your mother-in-law wants.

Four months on, my folks are still in love with the car, say trim quality isn't quite as good as the Passat but are quite happy with it, find it smooth, solid, reliable, roomy and practical.

If your mum-in-law is on her own does she really need something that big? There's a tall version of the Fiesta caled the Fusion that might fulfill her desire for soemthing tall at a lower price. Not my kettle of fish, but I can understand the confidence a high driving position brings.
Ford Focus C-max - barchettaman
The Citroen Picasso is always being discounted by dealers. Maybe worth a look if there is a dealership nearby. It´s been on the market long enough for the traditional French gremlins to be ironed out (he said optimistically) and offers 98% of what the Cmax can do, although the Ford is undoubtedly the better car. The 1.6 diesel seems to be highly rated.
Ford Focus C-max - DavidHM
There are plenty of six month to 1 year old C-Maxes around for under £9k.

They handle well, there's plenty of space, the dash layout is good, they're pretty safe and likely to be reliable. They're based on the new Focus platform, but generally cost more new and less used at the moment, which makes them a better used buy.

www.drivethedeal.com will do a new 1.6 LX for £11,701 including metallic and you should be able to phone round the five or six nearest dealers and get at least £2k off list.
Ford Focus C-max - DavidHM
Edit: even better, Arnold Clark in Scotland will do them for £10,995 + metallic, so deals are out there.
Ford Focus C-max - Happy Blue!
My mother has become more restricted in movement over the last few years, so my father bought her a Suzuki Wagon R+ auto. Not the worlds best car, but it is nippy, short and is just the right height for her to slide into without pain and the view out is perfect.

Last year you could buy these new for £7,777 in Manchester and any Japanese car is likely to be far more reliable than any European car, even Fords which now have good reputations.

Admittedly, the C-Max is a far better drive and far superior over long journeys, but for pottering around town, the Wagon R+ is excellent.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Ford Focus C-max - Smileyman
I am changing my 170k Primera and looked at the Nissan Tino as potential replacement. (excellent spec new car offer on at present) My MIL at 87 found the rear seat too high, likewise Picasso, Senic, Zafira and Mazda 5. Other less mobile people have told me the same. With the Fusion the rear doors did not open wide enough, but the Mazda 2, built in the same factory as the Fusion/Fiesta is excellent - getting into the rear door on either side is very easy as the doors open very wide.
With the C-Max, the Zetec is OK, but the Ghia was difficult. I blame the thicker upholstery on the seats.
As for prices, look at this web site and follow the links to find savings - and see the Saturday Telegraph Motoring section for other ways to save on car costs. Remember, the factories have to keep the production lines running, that means cars need to be sold. Happy hunting!!