Galaxy overdrive - GT
Perhaps I'm imagining it, but I think my Galaxy (V6 auto) has lost its overdrive on top gear. The revs seem higher, it slows down more noticeably on overrun when I take my foot off the gas, kickdown goes straight into 3rd rather than non-overdrive top, and instant fuel consumption readout at motorway cruising is about 1-2mpg worse than before. I rang my usual Ford dealer for a spot of hands-on diagnosis whilst on the motorway but he feigned ignorance of what I was on about (or did it come naturally?). So I'd appreciate any useful responses to the following q's:-

1. Does anyone know the figure for mph per '000 rpm in overdrive? (I'm currently showing 44mph @ 2000rpm, 66 @ 3000, 77 @ 3500 (sorry officer) so I'd say I'm getting 22mph per 1000rpm)

2. Has anyone had this problem with the Galaxy or any other car?

3. Is it a gearbox stripdown to put it right?

4. Could I be imagining it?

One further thing I could mention, I don't know whether it has any bearing on this problem, is that I've (unwittingly) got the 4x4 version. (Godfrey Davis sold it to me as a normal front-wheel-drive model, but I noticed a rear differential and drive shafts when retrieving a tennis ball just after buying it. They asked me to have my local main dealer verify it - his first reaction was that Ford didn't do a 4x4 Galaxy and thought I'd been at the magic mushrooms. This is the same dealer mentioned above.)
Re: Galaxy overdrive - David Davies
Just a thought on this problem:the transmission will not shift to overdrive if the engine temperature has not reached a certain value. It might be worthwhile checking your thermostat and coolant temperature sensor.Maybe this is the problem.
Re: Galaxy overdrive - GT
Thanks for the tip. The temperature gauge was showing normal but it's worth investigating.
Re: Galaxy overdrive - Charles
GT

Just seen your query. I'll see what I can find re this and email it to you. Galaxy 4x4 was launched during the 97 model year.

Charles