Vectra fault code - hefty
My engine management light has come on and off a few times over the past few weeks,by using a paperlip, I get the code 0340 Crankshaft Sensor.I have taken the car to a garage who claim that the code is a Memeory Code not a Fault Code. Could they be correct? What is the difference between these two codes?
I suspect I am being fobbed off. Thanks. The system is Simtec 56.5
Vectra fault code - Dynamic Dave
the code is a Memeory Code not a Fault Code. Could they be correct? What is the difference between these two codes?

The former is a stored code in the ecu's memory, the latter is a current one.

Did the garage plug in their Tech2 reader? If so, then they *should* have erased the code from the ecu's memory.

Did you do the paperclip test with the engine running? If not, then that's why you got the crankshaft error code appearing.

Usual culprits for a flickering ecu light on the ecotec engines is either the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, or sometimes both. That's not to say the sensor(s) are duff. A lot of the time the fault is traced to a dirty plug/socket connection.

Details here on where the camshaft sensor is located, and cleaning of the connections:-

82.34.51.160/sytemsandsoftwaredevelopment/systems/...m
Vectra fault code - hefty
Thanks DD, I did do the paperclip test with the engine off. I have been told they have now cleared the memory, early days yet (only five miles covered on collecting car). But I do feel more confident with the garage for your reply. Thank you very much.