alternate oil change - D Tomos
Is it worth changing the filter as well as the oil on the 'intermediate' oil changes?
Re: alternate oil change - Darcy Kitchin
Mandatory, I would say. They don't cost a great deal.
Re: alternate oil change - prm
Without fail.
Re: alternate oil change - Dave
I've often wondered this. On the bike I double up on oil changes and change filter every other time.

The only disadvantage I can see of not changing the filter is that old oil is retained in the system.

Would it be acceptable to remove the filter, empty the oil from it and put it back?
Re: alternate oil change - Graham
>
> Would it be acceptable to remove the filter, empty the oil
> from it and put it back?

Hummmmm NO! to remove the old and not replace with new is ...... words fail me here..... Ok i've taken my pills.... false economy. phew not a bad word in sight.

Just out of intrest, are you one of those people who drys used tea bags and in order to use them again?? :-)
Re: alternate oil change - Derek
False economy, Dave, especially if it's a sports revving at 10K plus. Cost of a filter is peanuts compared to the possible consequences.
Re: alternate oil change - David W
Graham,

We've head recently Dave's Dad taught him how to recycle everything, failing that to use it twice!

Seriously I remember from the 80s (I think) VW said to change the filter every other oil change.

The only point in not removing the filter is to save the trouble, if that is any benefit.

Of course Dave, thinking back to the first sentence, if you washed the filter out really well and dried it.....

David
Re: alternate oil change - Ronnie Courtney
But surely the tea would taste really funny then?
Re: alternate oil change - Dave
Funny. I'm regularly accused of being stingy.

The last time was in a taxi. We got out, I paid 20 quid, the bloke who had just accused me of being tight pocketed the two quid change...

Thank's for the tea bag tip Graham!
Re: alternate oil change - Graham
You could also try putting a fork in the sugar bowl :-)