VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - arnold2
Quick question - which TDi engine will last longer, the 130 TDi 4-cyl, or the 2.5 V6 ? I plan on running my forthcoming (used) Passat for a few years, and still can't make up my mind which to buy - at 3 years old the difference in price isn't that much.

I am wondering if the less-stressed V6 diesel will last longer ... anyone out there run either a 130 or the V6 to some high mileages ?
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - Adam {P}
Unless there's something inherently wrong with the V6, I'd go for that. As you say, a bigger less-stressed engine.
--
Adam
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - machika
How many years and how many miles per year are you looking at? With a lot of torque anyway, the 1.9 engine is hardly going to be highly stressed driving at the speeds that are practical in the UK.
I agree it won't be highly stressed but the V6 would be less stressed. Over however many years that could be better.

Do you notice the extra power as much as a petrol?
--
Adam
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - cjehuk
I wouldn't say one will last longer than the other. The V6 TDI is more of a pain to do a cambelt change on and so the service bill will be higher for that job. I also find the 2.5TDI has something of a flat spot under 2000rpm, while the 1.9 doesn't. The v6 will drink substantially more fuel while not being that much faster. I'd be going with the 1.9. We get Audi A4 1.9 and 2.5 TDIs in with 120k+ on the clock (same drivetrain) and they all go just fine with no problems. Regularly serviced you can't kill either engine. I should point out that these cars have done their 120k relatively fast like at 30k per annum rather than over 6 years.

Regards

Chris
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - Pugugly {P}
My last three cars have been (straight) six/diesel engined. Far smoother than the BMW 4 cyl diesel (which are pretty good). More cylinders in my experience leads to a better driving experience.
Good info, as ever ! I am planning on running it to about 200K miles from 60k, probably in 3-4 years, so I need something bullet-proof. The extra cost of the V6 servicing is what I was thinking about, especially as I will be having them more often than most !
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - trancer
200K on a properly serviced 1.9 TDI would be of no concern to me whatsoever. Chances are its the things attached to the engine (water pump, alternator etc) that will fail and I don't think the displacement of the engine will have any bearing on those bits.
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - barney100
My daughters VW 1.9 diesel has need of a cambelt and with the associated bits and pieces it will be £250 plus...that is from a non franchised garage too.
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - Avant
I've had both and neither engine is stressed, at least not if you get one with either a 6-speed manual or an automatic. Both my previous Golf TDI estate (6-speed) and the current Avant 2.5 TDI (multitronic) are geared at about 35 mph per 1,000 rpm, so at 2,000 rpm at 70 mph either engine ahould last a very long time.

It's a matter of preference: the head says 1.9 or 2.0 TDI - better economy and slightly cheaper servicing and repairs, the heart says 2.5 or 3.0 TDI - lovely 6-cylinder noise (much less of it than the 4-cylinder engines), slightly better performance, and a general feeling of well-being that you get from a six.

I should think that Passat 2.5s are rarer than the 1.9s so the latter should give youy a wider choice.
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - MichaelR
If you want total reliability you might find more luck looking outside the VAG group.

What about something like a BMW 320d?
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - madf
It's a no brainer imo. A 1.9 is easier to service, cheaper and better known outside the VAG dealer network. With a 2.5 you may be restricted to dealer servicing and worse.. repairs...

And the 2.5 is noisier when cold from new so with 200k miles ...

madf

But that louder noise is nicer ;-)
--
Adam
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - cheddar
If it has to be a Passat I would go for the 1.9 130 4-Motion, it is the only one that is at all rewarding to drive. Reckon with reliability in mind looking outside VAG might be worth concidering.
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - wantone
If you want total reliability you might find more luck looking outside the VAG group.

What about something like a BMW 320d?

theres always somebody that ignores your question!
both are very good engines but for me if you want to keep it long term for big mileage then the 2.5 would be my choice more bullit proof.as somebody stated things go wrong around the engine(on the majority of cars) before the engine itself gives up life!!!
I've had both and neither engine is stressed, at least not
if you get one with either a 6-speed manual or an
automatic. Both my previous Golf TDI estate (6-speed) and the
current Avant 2.5 TDI (multitronic) are geared at about 35 mph
per 1,000 rpm, so at 2,000 rpm at 70 mph either
engine ahould last a very long time.
It's a matter of preference: the head says 1.9 or 2.0
TDI - better economy and slightly cheaper servicing and repairs, the
heart says 2.5 or 3.0 TDI - lovely 6-cylinder noise (much
less of it than the 4-cylinder engines), slightly better performance, and
a general feeling of well-being that you get from a six.
I should think that Passat 2.5s are rarer than the 1.9s
so the latter should give youy a wider choice.

Interesting - I have heard of problems with the 5-speed box at high mileages on the 1.9 130, so I had already decided to get the Sport with the 6-speed box (the non-sport is a bit flobbady for me, anyway). In fact, as it turns out the V6 looses the sport suspension, because of the 17" wheels !
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - s.a.k.r
I had a v6 to 145K, FSH.
The fuel pump failed starving the injector system which subsequently broke. Reconditioning the Bosche injector unit plus new fuel pump was a £2K expense.
IIRC Mechanic informed me the v6 engine is liable to do this at 140-160K whilst the 1.9 engine at 110k ish.
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - cheddar
the non-sport is a bit flobbady for me, anyway >>

If you are worried about a car being 'a bit flobbady' then I suggest you don't get a Passat, otherwise, yes the Sport is slightly better in this respect though not a patch on some of it's competitors in the driver satisfaction stakes. Yes, I could say Mondeo though, due to the risk of being shot down in flames, I won't.

As I said before what about the TDi 4-Motion? Rare though the best Passat.

I agree that the Passat isn't the sharpest handler - the A4 is clearly better - but I like the sports ride/comfort compromise - yes, the Mondeo is handles better, but the driving position is bad, and the interior ... well ... not very nice, looks like a Fiesta to me ...
VW TDi - 1.9 vs 2.5 long-term ? - andymc {P}
Arnold2, I know you only asked for opinions of the two Passat variants you mentioned, but as an owner of a Passat Sport 1.9 TDi, I still feel it worth repeating the suggestion that you look at other alternatives unless you want to spend more money improving the handling of a Passat (aside from any potential reliability issues). That's unless you can get a Passat for a considerably better price than equivalent alternatives that should be at least as reliable, if not more so. I would consider a 320d, a 156, an A4/A6/Superb, a Mazda6, a higher-spec Mondeo, possibly an Accord or an Avensis, even a Rover 75!
I find the Passat adequate, no more - adequately swift, quite comfortable, less than satisfying to drive enthusiastically, etc.
Of course, if you really feel that a Passat is the only car for you, by all means ignore the above! And go for the 1.9, for reasons listed above, and spend £300 on a remap instead of on fuelling and servicing the thirstier engine.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...