Honda Prelude Import - Simon Pickering
I have just acquired a 1993 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTEC Automatic which is a japanese import on L reg. The speedometer is marked up to 180 kmh max which works out as 111mph. I understand japanese cars (and motorbikes?) are restricted to this top speed. Is there a way of derestricting the Prelude?
Fitting UK spec speedo will allow a theoretical 160mph maximum but there is probably a restrictor fitted somewhere. I think on motorbikes it is simply a contact behind the speedometer needle which shorts out the engine once maximum speed is indicated. Is it that simple on a car? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
Re: Honda Prelude Import - richard turpin
160 MPH in a prelude? You gotta be kidding!
Re: Honda Prelude Import - CM
Had a mate who thought that his 318is could do 145mph.
Re: Honda Prelude Import - ian (cape town)
had a mate who thought the same!
belting its b******ks off when he got nicked at 200 km/h (ie quick. circa 125mph) on a camera.
Cost him a massive fine and a 6 mth ban.
Re: Honda Prelude Import - Andy P
I think the speed restrictor is part of the engine management system. It's the same with Jap-spec Sykline GTRs. And no, you won't get anywhere near 160mph in a 2.2 Prelude. 140 maybe.

Andy
Re: Honda Prelude Import - Tony
Your Prelude will be speed limited to 180 kph.You can buy/fit a speedo chip converter which will convert the kph to mph,on the Prelude it will also de-limit the car.Gascar Ltd 01322 529647 will supply you and fit if required.There are many chips available,these work-everytime.
Re: Honda Prelude Import - Honest John
Gascar also supplies English translations of about 20 different Japanese driver's manuals and has a website: www.gascar.ltd.uk

HJ
Re: Honda Prelude Import - peter
This must be the ultimate go faster mod. Fit a speedo with a higher maximum figure to make it go faster. Why not get an aircraft instrument calibrated with mach figures. It will really fly then.
Re: Honda Prelude Import - ian (cape town)
Peter, do you recall Spinal Tap, and their "One Louder" routine...
Re: Honda Prelude Import - peter
missing from my knowledge base, so I resorted to Google and for the others who are interested..

This Is Spinal Tap

January 21, 2001

BY ROGER EBERT

Guitarist Nigel Tufnel is explaining his amplifier to documentary filmmaker Marty DiBergi:

It's very special, because, as you can see--the numbers all go to 11. Right across the board. Eleven, 11. . . . And most amps go up to 10? Exactly. Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder? Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not 10. You see, most blokes are going to be playing at 10--you're on 10 on your guitar, where can you go from there? Where? I don't know. Nowhere! Exactly! What we do, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? You put it up to 11. Eleven. Exactly. One louder. Why don't you just make 10 louder, and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder?

Nigel is so baffled by this notion that he almost stops chewing his gum. "These go to 11," he repeats finally. His faith in that extra push over the cliff is unshakable. Marty DiBergi realizes he's dealing with a matter of guitar theology, not logic. Nigel has few ideas, but they are clearly defined and defiantly defended. DiBergi, a rational filmmaker, is helpless in the face of Nigel's rapture.
Re: Honda Prelude Import - Alwyn
Isn't Google brill?

I see that a Spinal Tap drummer choked to death on vomit..........but not his own vomit.............?
Re: Honda Prelude Import - CM
don't Marshall amps go up to 11