Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - IanJohnson
Comparing notes with colleagues those with the standard wheels are getting around 50mpg but those with the 17" wheels are getting closer to 40mpg.

The tyre is slightly wider on the 17" rims but can a tyre really account for this big a difference in fuel economy.

Mine is on 16" wheels and Michelin Pilot Premacys, one of the cars on 17" is on Yokohamas.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - drbe
Haven't we just been down this road? May I humbly suggest that you do a forum search.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - NMVW
I have just got mine with 17" wheels, had about 3 weeks. On my first long drive, to the yorkshire dales from surrey I got over 50 miles mpg on a run, Normal driving not an economy run
An update for those who are still struggling to beat 40mpg...

Our Fleet Manager's car has just been in because he was only getting around 40 to the gallon - they agreed there was something wrong and changed the ECU.

First tank since he got it back it did 48 to the gallon so much improved!
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Statistical outlier
Excellent, I'll get mine in next week!
Ian,

I've spoken to Honda today, and the dealers I'm talking to are aware of no offical or unofficial fix to sort the problems we know about. However, they sounded interested in finding out about it, as both the corporate sales manager I was talking to, and the service manager, have Diesel Accords doing 40 mpg and were interested in finding out more (apparently?).

Do you have details of who your fleet manager took the car to, and what *exactly* they diagnosed/did? If you do, any details would be much appreciated. Also anyone else that has posted that their problems were solved - I'd love to have any specifics you can offer to go back to them with.

Many thanks,

Gord.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Chris75
I know there are a few folk on here run diesel Accords. Is everyone now getting decent mpg from them?

I hav had mine for just over 2 weeks now and I'm dissapointed with the milage per tank. It's an 04 Tourer with 34k. 16" Wheels if that makes a difference.

First tank returned 36mpg!!!
Next tank was better at 42mpg but not great as I would estimate over 400 miles of this was motorway at around 70mph
Just filled up again today with 55 litres after 473 miles (39mpg) mixed use but probably 60% easy motorway work

To reach the figures i am multiplying the litres used by 0.22 to get gallons then dividing the milage by this figure. Is this correct?

Anyway, assuming my numbers are right I think I need to get it in to Honda & would appreciate any info on what others have had done.

Thanks.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Pica
I am now getting between 38 and 42 around localy and 45 on a gentle run [car has done 17000 miles on 17" wheels]. I did Guildford to Derby and back with a heavy right foot and it did 38MPG. I recently hired a Mitsubishi L200 2.5 TD and got 30Mpg and that included 200 miles of towing. You cannot believe the manufacturers claims on fuel economy on the Accord
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Chris75
Pica, so you think low 40's is about the norm for this car?

The Mondeo I had never droped below 45mpg and this was driven quite hard.

I suppose in the overall scheme of things I'm not going to let a few mpg's trouble me but a couple of people seem to be getting nearer 50
Low to mid 40's is about what I get but I have never tried to cruise control at 56mph for a couple of hundred miles. I read somwhere that you may get an improvement after 40K as the engine has then worn in but I will have to wait and see. I am quite a sedate driver and even manage 25/26 out of a V8 Ford Mustang on a run
90% of tank at 55-60 on cruise gives around 55mpg - I have done it.

Loaded level with rear seats, 2 up at 80 (France) gives around 48.

Car is well run in 77k at last fill, 75k service four weeks ago and is on Michelins (three of the old pilot premacies and one of the new pattern).

Check the tyre pressures - mine came back from its last service with 25lbs in the fronts!
Mine is now giving about 44 mpg. I'm fairly happy with that, as I don't exactly drive slowly, and there's a lot of driving on cruise at about 77 mph on the motorway (indicated 82).

I did speak to Avonmouth Honda on Ian J's advice, they said that all their cars do 39-43 mpg, and that's what they expect from this car. Enquiries about it are apparently a daily experience. Annoying, but I can't see what I can do about it.

My car is going back to Honda for a full check after my alternator incident - I'll ask them to check the fuel consumption issue when it's there as it'll be at the factory. I'll report back.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Quicksilver
My 04 Accord Tourer has now done 55k miles. Average fuel consumption is 45mpg in winter and 48mpg in summer. I have noticed that it has improved this summer as it now occasionally returns over 50mpg. Last service at 50k really seemed to improve the mpg but only that was supposedly changed that might make a difference was the air filter. Oil consumption is still around 1 litre per 4k miles. I think it will now be like this for a long time, (was 1 litre per 2k miles when new).

Q.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Armitage Shanks {p}
Some cars can't get near the 'Official' but some can. Recent figures from What Car Long term tests

Subaru Forester 2.5 Claimed 26.4 Achieved 25.7
A6 Avant 3.2 Claimed 25.4 Achieved 20.3
Seat Altea 2.0 tdi Claimed 47.9 Achieved 36.8
L/R Disco V6 TD Claimed 30.0 Achieved 22.5

Accords are not alone!
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Robbie
Travelling around France I was averaging 50 mpg, and I'm getting around 38 pottering about here.

Mine has the 16" wheels.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - HensTeeth
I've only had my saloon for about 6 weeks or so and it seems to be averaging mid 40s mpg. It had just over 8k on it when I bought it and now has done nearly 10.5k. Best returns were 48/49mpg - which were, say, 75% constant speed motorway cruising at the legal limit or thereabouts. Worst has so far been about 42mpg where I was, ahem, "evaluating the performance of my new vehicle".

Toby
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - HensTeeth
Just to add - this is with the climate control set to 21C, on 16" wheels shod with Michelin Pilot Primacys, and exclusively run on Shell Diesel Extra. Oh and I confess to driving like a vicar for the first 5-10 minutes until the thing's had a chance to warm up...

Toby
2 weeks of pottering around locally 42MPG (I am very pleased with this)
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - ijws15
Touched mine on a gatepost and while it has been in for repair have had another Accord Diesel Tourer for a couple of weeks.

Exec with sat nav and DVD system in the back.

Over about 1200 miles it has averaged 50mpg. This one does feel a little flat though - must be the weight of the 2 extra DVD players.
Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - Hitch
Just purchased a 05 plate. After checking the fuel consumption I am only manging to get 39MPG on a mixed run. I am quite disappointed as one of the reasons for buying the Honda was the excellant fuel economy. I had a Passat TDi before this and was averaging around 45MPG on a mixed run and 55MPG on the motorway (at 85MPH!!).

Honda Accord Diesel Fuel Consumption - davidh
Thing is, no-one knows what version of software these cars are running.

I've had cars serviced at a main dealer and seen on the schedule of work done that a "software update" has been done.

If you are not happy, maybe a trip to the dealers to get an upgrade? Who knows what gets tweeked in software - perhaps it might be a retrograde step consumtion wise - dunno.
Sorry Hitch, the Accord is very well known for having a thirst (although there are individual exceptions).

Check you've got the new EGR software, and try running four or five tanks of premium fuel through, it may help. Also make sure tyre pressures are okay, perhaps add 1-2 psi?

Personally, I seem to have finally got up to about 45 mpg in mixed use; perhaps mine is finally run in after 80k miles? It is *very* sensitive to driving style - drive like a monk and you may well be able to add 5 mpg instantly.

Best of luck, and sorry to hear you've been stung just like I have been. It's about an extra £600 a year in running costs I wasn't expecting. Bah.