Quick Test to Detect Nikasil Problem? - hatman
I am looking to buy a 1999 Jaguar XJ8 at a car auction. Naturally I cannot drive the car before buying it so I have tried to trace as much information about the car before buying it.

Although the car is in the range to be effected by the Nikasil problem the car has never been fitted with a new engine. I have spoken to the 2 main dealers who have serviced the car and they say the car did not need a new engine and that the vast majority of early XJ8s didnt have their engine replaced. The car has been main dealer serviced 5 times in its 68,000 miles

On speaking to Jaguar the only recorded blow by test was at 21,000 miles, the car is now currently on 68,000 miles.

I know the best solution would be to take the car to a Jag dealer for a blow by test but as its at a car auction I am unable to do this. I was hoping to find that it had a new engine fitted but it definitely hasnt. Is there any way of testing a car at the auction to see if the engine is fine? I would greatly appreciate all advice, naturally however cheap I get the car I don't want to buy a car the needs a new engine!

Many thanks in advance
Quick Test to Detect Nikasil Problem? - Kevin

The most obvious symptoms of bore wear on the Jag are poor cold starting and erratic idle. Blue smoke on startup is also suspicious, although this can occur if it has been stopped and restarted while still cold.

I have a '99 model that's now done 66k without any sign of wear (serviced earlier than the recommended 10k intervals) and I love it to bits. Be aware that the 'major' service for '99my onwards is at 70k so expect a £400 to £500 bill if you intend taking it to a main-dealer.

Kevin...
Quick Test to Detect Nikasil Problem? - OldOiler
Friend of mine had Jaguar change the engine - out of warranty he had to pay for the labour content, so if you get a good deal it still may be worth a punt . ...???
K2