53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - passat_man
Hi hope someone can give me some advice on this!
I have a 53 plate passat tdi 130 (dp). 29k.
Around town it can eat upto a litre of oil in 300 miles, yet on a long motorway journey it doesn't seem to use any!
People following me say the car emmits a puff of grey/black mix every time I change gear, (usually in the rev range of 2-2.5k), other than that I get the usual black fog if I change above 3k revs. The only other point of note is that I get a grey smoke emitted when the car is started from cold, i.e after it has sat in the garage for a night.
Not suprisingly VW say there isn't a problem with my car, but with the long life oil costing around £40 per 4 litres, the oil useage is certainly no joke!!
Any ideas folks?

Thanks Ian.
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - stan_deezy
Just an off the wall suggestion, but have you tried taking it to another dealer to look at? One litre per 300 miles is definitely excessive consumption.
Just as a matter of interest, how do you check the oil level?
i.e, warm engine, cold engine etc etc?
Hi, Thanks for the reply.
I check the oil cold, as I assume that is the best way, (the owners manual doesn't seem state hot or cold!)
The car is going to the supplying garage tomorrow, then if I get the same (lack of),responce I will indeed try another dealer.
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - JohnM{P}
I have tonight just put the last of the supplied litre of liquid gold top-up oil into my 105 PD TDi Golf after 9100 miles/8.5 weeks, so I'd say your oil consumption was excessive. Every TDi I've had has smoked when reving above 3000 rpm after a long motorway cruise but then stopped (once it had cleared its throat!). If you go above 3000rpm around town at each change and it still smokes every time, then I'd say that something was not right. However, regularly using high revs will increase the oil consumption... but not that much! 1 litre per 300 miles is excessive, by anyone's standards!
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - quizman
During the running period, my Passat used about half a litre of oil.
Since then it hasn't used a drop. I strongly suggest that you take the car back to the dealer, and insist that they fix the problem, don't let them fob you off.
As for all this black/grey smoke business, well it should not happen if you drive the car properly, by this I mean give it some wellie every now and then.
I hope you get the car fixed, because a good Passat is very satisfying.
Suprise, suprise, having had the car for 2 days, the dealer reports....NO FAULT FOUND!!!
I will speak to the service manager when I collect the car tomorrow, but it seems I am wasting my time with this dealer!!!
Thus far my VW expierience has been VERY disappointing.
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - wemyss
"Around town it can eat upto a litre of oil in 300 miles, yet on a long motorway journey it doesn't seem to use any!"

If its any consolation I had exactly the same thing when I first had my 98 Vectra TDI it used oil on local journeys.
On its first trip to Portugal I took a can of oil expecting to be topping up every night.
It didnt use a drop both outward and back. Afterwards it still used a little but not as much as before.
The next trip to Southern Spain was exactly the same and didnt use oil.
Gradually the oil consumption used locally dropped and now it uses virtualy none.
It has had little use with the wifes car standing on the drive being used for virtually everything and now at 7 years old has only done 30K.
So perhaps your car simply hasnt ran in yet?.

Just got back from the dealer.
Basically I was told there is no way they test for excessive oil consumption, apart from leaks!!
I now have to run the car for 600 miles and return for their verdict. They also reported no grey smoke on start up, even though I replicated the symptoms in front of them this morning!
I guess they just can't be bothered once you have bought the car!
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - OldOiler
I have a 03 passat 130 with 38k and this does not need topping up between services, you must have a problem.
try US/CAN we site "tdi club" it has a lot of useful tips etc.
Thanks I'll take a look!
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - volvos60T5SE
Hi there, I hav a Galaxy TDI PD (130PS) with the same engine as the passat in, the oil consumption in that is phenominal, it uses at least a litre of oil every 1 and a half months, dont know if this has helped. BTW, i spoke to ford about the oil consumption, they said, remarkably like volvo, "they all do that" so? hope this has helped.

PS every 300 miles does sound a bit excessive!
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - madf
Do you exceed 4,000rpm at least once a week? Do you drive continuously of motorways at 70mph ?

If the answer is no, your engine is not run in.
Drive to Scotland and back for a weekend holiday..at the legal limit.

madf

53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - martin_uk
Hi, I have had a few Passat diesels and found they generally used about 1 litre in 9000 miles. I have checked the handbook and it says you should check the oil level on level ground with the engine hot. Wait a few minutes clean the dip stick and and then check.
The handbook also says the consumption can be up to a litre per 1000km, but in my experience this would be quite unusual.
Thanks, I will check with hot engine, just in case!
Do you get a lot of grey smoke on start up from cold?
I took ownership of the car at 17k. It had been used by the dealer to go between locations in Telford-Bristol, so most of it's early life has been on the M/way.
I do quite a mix of driving, some weeks town, others exclusivly motorway.
I would think it would be run in by now.
Don't you just love it when you get an answer like "they all do it!"
My car is set to long life service interval, and at £40 for 4 litres of oil, this car could be VERY expensive!!
53'Passat oil consumption/smoking - wonderwheels
In my experience some people are just "unlucky" with cars.I have heard loads of "good" reports about Passats and equally loads of "bad" reports.I don't think it is just "coincidence" that both me and my work colleague had/have had "bad" passats.I owned my 2001 TDi (130) for 3 years.I was only the 2nd owner and bought it at 21K miles.It was never out of the dealership.In my time of owning it, I had a new turbo fitted (loss of power),a new dash(irritating creaking),2 ball bearings removed from front seat runners(no idea how they got there,£40 please!!),new hazard light switch,new rear reg plate light fitting,new rear window(elements failed).However,I NEVER had a problem with oil consumption.One common thing I have heard of,is very poor customer relations.Definitely so in my area.My car was in 8 times to 3 different dealers before the dash problem was resolved and I had to take the manager out in my car to let him hear the ball-bearing "noise".They said they couldn't hear (didn't want to hear)anything.How ballbearings got in the front seat runners amazed me.It was never out of the garage and they then said to me it must have been my Son that put them there,maybe out of his pinball machine,as that's what they looked like.He was 9 months old at the time!!