Arachnids and Door Mirrors - hillman
This topic seems to have disappeared into silly threads. It was quite an interesting topic whilst it was running.
I have aquired another lodger in my driver's side mirror. I thought that it can't be coincidence, there must be an attraction. Hence I checked eight cars whilst I was doing my evening constitutional. Seven of the eight had webs on the driver's side mirror. We have some very learned BRs, does anybody know why? Perhaps we can get a research grant to study it.
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - arnold2
The one in our Beetle is now well travelled, having amazingly survived a cross-channel then cross-european trip, and is now currently having a nice holiday in Croatia for the next 5 weeks !
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Davy_S {P}
'Fred' the current occupant of my side mirror has been there for quite a while now.Even after going up & down the A1(M) qiute a few times. Oddly enough he(!) comes out for a meal when I stop for a break and manages to retreat to safety before I set off again.

--
Davy S.

Oops, where did that screw go!!
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Robin Reliant
Arachnids are one thing - I've got a spider in my door mirror.
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - johnny
I had one in the wheel trim. I bet it went WAHEYYY at 80 mph..
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - mjm
What? You've been T-boned by an Alfa?

Last time I changed cars I tried to get my travelling companion from the door mirror and move him into his new home. Couldn't find him/her. Just as well, new car already had the mirror occupied.

Why is it just the driver's side mirror?
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Stuartli
Because you are his pal...:-)

I used to wonder why it was always the driver's door mirror, but realised it was probably because when the car is parked on the driveway it is close to the shrubs/flower beds area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I don't know about my present lodger, but on my last car the lodger was a lady, How do I know that, because she had hunderds of little ones which I had to re-home. They all had litle webs of their own. I probably donated them to all of the other cars in the car park.
>>donated them to all of the other cars in the car park.>>

You little Hillman minx...:-)
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - HF
What is the problem? I have had so many spidery guests on my car mirror but they have never affected my driving (people that know my driving do *not* comment here!).

Perhaps looking less into mirrors would help?

But really, are they doing any harm? Just let them be if you can, after all the sight of one of their webs is a truly remarkable thing to see.

HF

One of my wife's girl-friends had a wolf spider in her car, and asked my wife to intercede with me to get it out. I told her that there was little risk of malaria or sleeping sickness while it was there, but she didn't want to know that. Wolf spiders don't make webs, but hunt their prey. I could imagine said G/F exiting the car ar 40 mph.
When I saw it I was impressed by its size - almost spanned my palm. It took quite a while to catch.
Old proverb " If you want to live and thrive, let that spider stay alive".
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - glowplug
When I commented to a colleague at work about having a spider living in my door mirror he just commented that they're a standard factory fit item on all cars. Maybe door mirrors are convenient, just the right size and shape for easy web spinning and a safe hiding place behind the glass.

Steve.
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - HF
Who came first? Drivers or spiders?

Take care
HF
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Welliesorter
Why is it just the driver's side mirror?

Boring answer, but isn't it just that you're more likely to notice them on that side if you're the driver?

Last time I looked, I had webs on both mirrors.
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Clanger
It's not well known that most British spiders are both vain and interested in motoring generally. This explains the choice of driver's side mirror for a home, so they can see themselves and have a good view of both oncoming and overtaking traffic. And don't give me any nonsense about spiders being blind; that urban myth was quashed ages ago.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
>>and have a good view of both oncoming and overtaking traffic>>

How do they see oncoming traffic?

A web of deceipt me thinks...:-)
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Rob C
If they could just figure out how to make a web strong enough to fit on the windward side, they'd have a huge food surplus.
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - trancer
I don't have one in my door mirror, but there is one that has taken up residence between/under my tailight and bootlid. Its a really good place for a web as the brushes of the automated car wash I use can't reach it. I wonder if the spider knew that before hand?.
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - henry k
For the first time ever my local resident has lost the plot.
This morning I found a nice full web between the steering wheel and the A pillar.
I last used the car two days ago and it is used most days.
As they say "Watch this space"
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Hawesy1982
Perhaps that's the real answer Rob - they have a nice safe, warm (in the upmarket models) home, with regular insect puree delivered round the back of the house!
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - just a bloke
My punto always has a spider in residence but my Alfa Spider never has one...

:) JaB
>>...but my Alfa Spider never has one...>>

Probably because he'd lost the fight over the female with such a giant opponent....:-)
Arachnids and Door Mirrors - Altea Ego
I have done a spider exchange scheme. I chased out the British spiders when I arrived in France, and I now have araignées françaises in both mirrors on arrival at home..
I trust you faithfully observed the pets' passport procedure...:-)