Synthetic motor oils - Jimmy Jimenez
Knowing that it's too expensive to guess about these things, could any of our techies give me any guidelines for using synthetics. And finally, (I hope this doesn't sound too dumb) are there different types of synthetic motor oils? I sometimes see references to semi-synthetic oils and am confused. I really appreciate any clarification you can give this mechanical illiterate - Thanks uch.
Re: Synthetic motor oils - Rob Govier
OK, then...

(BMW site as recommended above is excellent BTW)

Do the team think that I can safely extend oil change intervals on my Vauxhall Monterey 3.1 TD (Rebadged Isuzu Trooper) from 4500 to 6000 based on using a fully synthetic oil?

I occasionally tows a large box van trailer or a large caravan, and it generally does trips of min. 35 miles on motorways/Fast A-roads.

This would help to offset the higher cost of changes (it takes 6 ltrs per change). However, Halfords are currently selling their own brand fully-synth. at around £19.00/5ltrs. Cheaper than the Comma brand that I usually use at around £25.00.

While I'm at it, downside of synth. is "leakability". Loss from rear crankshaft oil seal has been much worse since I switched. Enhances the "dynamic engine-fed underbody anti-corrosion system", though.

rg
Re: Synthetic motor oils - humpy
Absolutely, leakability! something I frorgot to mention, I never had to top up the magnatec between changes, now I use a litre every 5000miles. Of course the scientific way to investigate it would be to change back to magnatec and see if I can replicate my previous findings!
I change my oil whenever I reckon it's black enough for changing. Probably just my ignorance doesn't give me the confidence to wait longer, I'm sure that the oil behaviour doesn't change that much as the carbon deposits start to build up. But I reckon it depends on the way you drive. I find a thrash from Newcastle down to the south of france and back usually blackens fresh oil well, but my zx 2litre has done 120000 now!