Weird A4 problems today... any ideas? - oopnorth
Coolant alarm suddenly went off on my 98 Audi A4 tdi (180k) today, so topped it up immediately - no obvious leaks etc, so I just put it down to not checking it often enough. 60 or so miles later, it went off again, so I checked under the car to find water dripping out pretty fast - although it was impossible to see where from due to the guard that covers most of the underside. Topped it up again, and a few miles later notice that the speedo has stopped working, as has the mileometer, and then the fuel gauge starts floating up and down. The car has an on-board comp, and the mileage range was going from 50 up to 200 and down again in the space of a few metres, obviously due to the fuel gauge's antics. So, before I go down to the garage tomorrow, does this sound partly like an engine management system problem? Any ideas? All the temp gauges are registering normal, and everything else seems fine. The only thing I have noticed recently is a slight hissing from the engine bay when I turn off, although I'd figured this was probably the a/c after use. Any advice appreciated...
Weird A4 problems today... any ideas? - frostbite
Pressurised water spraying into the electrics?
Weird A4 problems today... any ideas? - smokie
My Omega was losing coolant, generally more of a "dump" after a run than during it. That was a known Omega weakness, a three way valve. Not sure whether you'd have the same. And I don't see that would interfere with instrumentation
Weird A4 problems today... any ideas? - madf
Water drip could be from aircon condenser. Is water clear or coolant covered?(newspaper).
Electric fault sound slike a bad earth somewere.

madf

Weird A4 problems today... any ideas? - adverse camber
the hissing on stopping is normal - worry if it doesnt happen.

Has it had a water pump ? at 60K changes for the tbelt, that is possibly due anyway. Radiator could also be gone at this age.

No idea why the electrics would suddenly play up, this isnt another '[i]audi[/i]' thread is it ?
Weird A4 problems today... any ideas? - oopnorth
Coolant isn't clear... not sure if it's had a new water pump (tho certainly not in last 40k)...
Weird A4 problems today... any ideas? - s.a.k.r
Underguard is pretty easy to get off, held on with scres only.

Try putting some radiator sealant in with your coolant - that should cure the leak.
Some TT's Golfs and Leons had a problerm with their instrument cluster, possibly yours is on its way out.
If the instruments played up only when the coolant strated to leak, then fix the leak and you may get lucky with yor instruments.