Brake servicing - honda shuttle - Dogbreath2
My honest reliable independent garage seem very reluctant to service the squeeky brakes on my Honda shuttle. They say they are fine and don't need any work. I worry about it because its used for the kids etc.

How do I know when they are really worn out? Can the brakes fail due to pad wear?

Its funny the independent seems to relaxed whereas the franchised dealers want to rebuild/service the brakes every service!
Brake servicing - honda shuttle - Civic8
Probably just brake dust build up around either pads or rear shoes (if it has rear drums)

Pads should have a warning(cable from pad to a light on dash)Or an audible (piece of metal which contacts the disc when pads are low) telling you pads are down to limit.
unlikely brakes will fail even with pads down to metal but you will more than know it as its metal to metal grinding
--
Steve
Brake servicing - honda shuttle - Dave N
Ah, a fellow shuttle owner!

They have a squeel strip that will make plenty of noise when the pads are low. Of course, that's assuming the caliper pins aren't seized causing uneven wear, as the strip is only on one pad per wheel. The noise on mine was from the rears, where rust dust from the discs had dried up the coppergrease.

However, I can't see why your garage won't take the wheels off and at least check how much material is left to put your mind at rest. Thought about doing it yourself? I simply replace all the pads every year as a matter of course, that way I know I'm all set for the next 12 months. They're only about £90 for the lot from Honda, so I don't bother trying to get the last few miles out of them.

Your garage man should also be doing a brake fluid change at the same time, but if he doesn't want to take the wheels off to check the brakes, then I don't suppose you'll be able to persaude them change the fluid.