Towed for being parked under a tree - Mapmaker
I am not sure whether to work myself up into an incandescent rage, or not.

For one reason and another, the insurance certificate was still not available by the time I went on holiday a fortnight ago, so I could not renew the tax disc - which had expired at the end of June. The car is parked on the street.

Upon returning home, no car. It had been towed away as it was 'abandoned'. The car was apparently inspected by a 'senior traffic warden' who decided that the car looked as though it had not moved for a long time (in fact, only 3 days). A large yellow notice was slapped on, requiring removal within 24 hours, and it was then towed.

Indeed, when I collected the car, it was covered with bird droppings and bits of tree. Clearly I had parked under a tree with a bird's nest in it.

So, on balance, is that a fair cop? The car had a fresh MOT and was insured (as the computer would no doubt have told them). It has no chips, dents or blemishes. It is 1999 vintage.
Towed for being parked under a tree - DavidHM
I presume it hasn't been crushed?

The DVLA is entitled to crush an untaxed car so, given that there was no valid disc and it was covered with bits of tree, I'd probably put it down to experience as it could have been worse.

I've heard of a 1996 406 that was crushed while only two weeks out of tax, although that admittedly didn't have an MoT or insurance. Still pains me to think of it...

If it had been parked displaying a valid tax disc and resident's permit, if applicable, I'd feel differently but there are some very cheap late 90s Vectras that could be written off by a snapped cambelt at a high enough mileage so it's not completely untenable that the car might have been abandoned.
Towed for being parked under a tree - Mapmaker
No, it hasn't been crushed - glory be! I was very relieved to be told that I could still collect it.

Talking to the chap at the Council, the reason for towing was that it was 'in poor condition'. The only 'poor condition' I can think of is the extensive bird mess on the roof - which hadn't been there when it was parked - and the twigs around the wiper blades. The tax was apparently not the deciding factor.

Ironically, as it was presumed 'abandoned', they didn't report the infringement to DVLA, so I have apparently escaped their fine. Had it been cleaner, then it might have been removed for failure to display.

Worse still, after I picked it up, it was running as rough as you please - some sensor (the garage man was remarkably monosyllabic, it could have been the Lambda sensor) had fallen out of its place. I should love to blame the council for this...
Towed for being parked under a tree - none
In my local area - and nationally for all I know, a car displaying a valid tax disc can be considered by the council to be abandoned.
It all depends upon the general condition of the car, the circumstances of the 'parking', the discretion of the council. I must say, it works well round my way !
Towed for being parked under a tree - Hugo {P}
Yeah, my way too.

Only a few days ago the missis reported an abandoned car parked under a tree covered in bird droppings, tax out of date. Council were ever so good......:)
Towed for being parked under a tree - Bill Payer
Ironically, as it was presumed 'abandoned', they didn't report the infringement
to DVLA, so I have apparently escaped their fine. Had
it been cleaner, then it might have been removed for failure
to display.

You're in for a shock - you will get an automatic penalty from the DVLA for failing to renew the tax (assuming the car's properly registered in your name and address).
Towed for being parked under a tree - grn
Unlucky and over zealous. Around our way a while back, known abandoned vehicles don't get shifted for weeks as they try to contact the owner 1st via DVLA etc etc ,.... and we are talking DHSS types who had rented in, trashed and abandoned the house and left a string of cars behind, untaxed on the highway in poor state of repair. Police - uninterested, COuncil as above, only after correspondong with DVLA. So an otherwise honest motorist gets caught out, then wham! Easy pickings eh. You have my sympathies.
Towed for being parked under a tree - holly1
Same around here. Neither the Police or Council are interested and an abandoned car can sit around for ages, slowly being stripped of its parts, before anyone removes it. Even if its causing an obstruction, untaxed, uninsured and has no MOT they still attempt to trace the owner before they consider removing it ... and that can take several months. Like you say, its always the otherwise honest motorist who gets caught out.
Towed for being parked under a tree - Blue {P}
There's a T reg Fiesta abandoned in a layby on the A1231 on the way into Sunderland, naturaly I have never bothered to park up and investigate it, but I can only presume that it must have valid tax or something as it's been there about 2 weeks now I think without being towed.

T reg cars abandoned already? Makes my P plate feel REALLY old! :-)

Blue
Towed for being parked under a tree - Chicken Madras
The DVLA website is hopeless too. I recently reported an untaxed car twice and nothing happened. I even complained to the DVLA that nothing had happened and two weeks later, still nothing. The car now has a front tyre that's a bit Duncan Goodhew.
Towed for being parked under a tree - mountainkat
Might be a bit over zealous but if it had been taxed they wouldn't have had an excuse - insurance companies should be able to provide at least an insurance cover note within 48hrs, think you need to perservere with the insurers a bit more next time to save yourself the inconvenience & cost of "losing" your car.
Towed for being parked under a tree - BrianW
If you set fire to it it gets shifted within 24 hours!
Towed for being parked under a tree - Dalglish
If you set fire to it it gets shifted within 24 hours!

>>

and that costs the local taxpayer about £1000 - £3000 in the bargain.

Towed for being parked under a tree - Dalglish
and that costs the local taxpayer about £1000 - £3000

>>

underestimated:
" .... the cost that would have been incurred had the
vehicle been set alight. A Home Office7 study
estimates this to be £4,000 per vehicle. ..."

"" ... The fire service is perhaps the best agency to
report burnt out vehicles, as they attend all those
that are reported (obviously some vehicle fires do
go unreported, and other agencies and the public
can also report such vehicles). Projects in Avon
and Swansea have both utilised immediate
recovery schemes; to remove burnt out vehicles,
in some cases ?while they are still smoking?.
The vehicles removed still need to be traced back
to an owner if possible, although they can be
destroyed immediately. The contractor engaged to
conduct such removals must have planning
permission for the storage and destruction of burnt
out vehicles (these are classed as hazardous
waste). ..."

" . In 2001, 79% of car fires in the UK were
caused by malicious ignition (arson) ? a rise from
57% of all car fires in 1991. .."

and remember, arson is a serious crime punishable by serious time in jail. ;-)