Tyre fitting - tf7151
I have heard that certain tyres need to be fitted in a particular direction so that if you have 2 rear tyres the pattern may face different directions.

I have just had 2 Continental EcoContact CP's fitted and the pattern on 1 side faces forwards whilst on the other it faces backwards.

Does anyone know if this is correct or how to find out?

BTW I believe the tread patterns are the same and only the fitting has introduced the difference, its as if one has been fitted the wrong way round.

thanks
Re: Tyre fitting - ian (cape town)
tf, this was discussed on a thread just a few days ago - "Pirelli p6000". (I think it was)
Basically, it is down to the Gibbons employed by the tyre-fitters, who don't know their a***s from their elbows.
As mentioned there, go back, point out the error of their ways, and get them to fix it. Also, as per previous threads, check (a) where they put the jack and (b) whether they inflate to the correct pressures.
Re: Tyre fitting - El Dingo (Martin)
Ian, 'tf7151' (do you have a name?)

I also read the P600 thread. Mine were not directional. Nor are my Continental Eco's on my A4.

When I have had directional tyres, they have had a very clearly marked arrow saying 'direction of rotation' (or suchlike - I can't remember exactly).

However, you can (rarely) get problems with 'kinicity'. Check the coloured markings around the tyre tread. Basically, get the markings in a mirror image across the axle (e.g. looking at the axle: red, yellow, green - axle - green, yellow, red).

There must be a tyre expert in the backroom who can explain 'kinicity'?

Martin.
Re: Tyre fitting - David Nicholls
Directional tyres will ALWAYS say something like "ensure this saide faces out" so that it is clearly visible.

i would not expect them to work at optimum efficiency if they are wrong, it could cause handling, or tracking issues.

just had 2 michelin primacy's fitted to front of my car, and it clearly states "outside face".

just hope the tyre fitters can read and aren't ignorant of brands enough to make the mistake in the first place.
Re: Tyre fitting - Andy P
Directional tyres always have some indication on the sidewall as to the direction of rotation. I fitted directional Yokohama A-520s to my last-car-but-one (cheaper than Pirelli P600). The "Gorillas" who fitted them knew exactly what do do (Jim Jeffries, Stockton Heath).

Andy
Re: Tyre fitting - mike harvey
Directional tyres become interesting when fitted to motorcycles, as the front and back are fitted in opposite directions!
Mike
Re: Tyre fitting - rogerb
WHAT????
So, presumably, the front & rear tyres also ROTATE in opposite directions ??
Re: Tyre fitting - mike
no, the front tyre has only braking forces, whilst the rear has mainly acceleration forces, so the forces are in opposite directions !
Re: Tyre fitting - Brian
They are marked with one arrow in one direction with a note saying "Front" and another arrow in the opposite direction annotated "Rear". Simple really!
Re: Tyre fitting - Kevin

The Goodyear Eagles, fitted as standard to my current car, are both directional and asymetric. The tyres on each side of the car are specific to that particular side and cannot be interchanged.

At least that's not as bad as the current 'Vette which has directional and asymetric tyres of different sizes front and rear. Four different tyres on one car !

Kevin...
Re: Tyre fitting - Brian
So do you carry four spares, Kevin?
Re: Tyre fitting - Kevin

There isn't enough room to carry ONE full-size spare! It's a tiny 'spacesaver' supposedly good enough to get you to the nearest repair shop at 'up-to' 50mph.
Heaven knows what condition it would be in though after it had been used, especially as a replacement rear tyre. It's all too easy to spin the regular rears, even with the positrack.

Kevin...
Re: Tyre fitting - Brill
My post of October 1:

I had directionals on my TWR Jaguar, the rear tyres were much fatter than the fronts, and the spare matched the rears so a flat front left me stranded.

Stu.