Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - Anglesey Ian
Hi all,

Although not posted for some time, some of you may remember that I own a 2001 Saab 9.3 TiD which has now got in excess of 50,000 miles under its wheels. It has behaved almost impeccably but I am surprised that owning one has not engendered any brand affinity in me as appears to be often the case with others.

No reason to become disenchanted with the Saab really but I was intending to change next year anyway, but travelling about the other day, I saw an unmarked Alfa 156 1.9 Diesel saloon(nice metallic silver) with 22k miles outside a VW dealer. On Tuesday it was priced at £9999 but on wed was down to £8999.

Not being able to resist, called in and the salesman explained that it had been traded in against a new Golf GTi and was parked away from their extensive VW 2nd hand stock to promote brand consistency and had been reduced to effect a quick sale.

Now, I have read 'Car by car breakdown' (no pun intended) and have also visited the owner's 156 website and have read some of the horror stories about both this car's inherent faults and also the dealer network. I am aware that this model has now been discontinued but still the urge and romantic idyllic thought about owning an Alfa exist.

Could any honourable members in this community please advise whether this price is about right and of any experiences (good or bad) which they have had with this make and model. What would you do ?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks,
AI
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - Happy Blue!
I suspect that the diesel is the most reliable engine in the range. That may be damning it with faint priase, but it's an Alfa!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - Dude - {P}
If you look at the J.D. Power survey for 2005, you will find it came last as the least reliable car on the market.

I think this is the time to let your head rule your heart and give it a wide berth.!!!!
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - Happy Blue!
Mind you, how much higher is Saab in the JD Power survey?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - DavidHM
If it's an 04, it's seriously cheap. If it's an 03 then it's merely averagely priced.

Yes, the new Golf (particularly the GTi) is a desirable piece of metal but you still have to wonder why such a young car was traded in at all, presumably from a private owner.

Also the 156 looks fantastic but it is an old design and one you'd have to look at from a practical and driving perspective as well as just an emotional one.
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - Mattster
I owned a 156 petrol. Bought it for £7,000 at 4 years old (which at the time was well under the guide price) and after one year was glad to see the back of it for £5,000. And that's after spending the best part of £1,000 trying to fix the stupid thing.

Hesitation/lack of power when cold/low revs; suspension problems (varied and repeated, even within a year!); wheel bearing; and more.

I remember when buying it, falling in love with the sound of it and the feel of the drive. This gloss was quickly dulled and I was soon pulling my hair out. No problem was ever really satisfactorily corrected by the Alfa dealer.

You'll get other people, of course, who say that they've owned a 156 trouble-free. But the horror stories and the consistently poor satisfaction surveys aren't made up. Take them as very strong warnings.

Low price for a beautiful Italian car. Sounds too good to be true? Probably because it is.
--
Mattster
Boycott shoddy build and reliability.
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - machika
Any comment from No Dosh?
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - machika
I suspect that the diesel is the most reliable engine in
the range. That may be damning it with faint priase,
but it's an Alfa!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need
a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?

So what exactly is wrong with the engines?
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - PR {P}
Id say go for it (predictably). I run a 156 GTA and it is marvellous, and the gf has a 147 JTD with the same engine (if its the 8v you're looking at). 2 years and 30k miles on it runs really well, 45mpg, quite nippy. Has had a power steering pipe split but apart from that its been faultless.
Dilemma-Alfa 156 or not ? - Adam {P}
Live life. I aim to own an Alfa at some point just for the fun of it. It's a fun car - they're beautiful cars, some might say the problems would be worth it. You need Al on this one I think.
--
Adam