new discovery - no gearbox 7 weeks - jema
I've not seen my car for 7 weeks now,
its a 1 year old landrover, the gearbox broke on 22may, (10,000 miles on clock)
Landrover are being seriously unhelpful, they've promised my replacement gearbox will be delivered to the dealership who's holding the car 3 times
....guess what its never turned up
I drive a seven seater as I need a big car, i also tow a trailer every weekend & at least once during the week
guess what , they offered me a ford focus as a replacement-
so we've had 2 children to a seat belt & ruined weekends for the last few weekends ,
I've just been told if the dealer cant get one of a few gear boxes that arrive
on friday ( and guess what there arnt enough to go round, my car could be off the road several more weeks)
ok.... besides being very upset about the whole escapeade, what would you do... revenge... or publically shame landrover....ideas please (legal tho')
thanks
new discovery - no gearbox 7 weeks - Ex-Moderator
Whoever is to blame, you really can't have two children to a seat belt. That's just outrageous.

It would be a bit daft if one of your kids got badly hurt to try and say that it was the local dealer's fault for lending you the wrong car - I don't think it would make you feel much better, either.
new discovery - no gearbox 7 weeks - rtaylor
who made the engine/gearbox?

is it a rover job? in which case production has stopped i think you will find

if its from a part of the ford empire then there is no excuse

buy a toyota next time
new discovery - no gearbox 7 weeks - Hugo {P}
If it's the Series 3 Disco, Rover definitely won't be involved.

If it's the TD5 then I don't know but.....

IIRC the TD5 was launched after BMW bought the group from BAe, and the only Rover supplied item of any great significance that Landrover used was the head gasket eating 1.8i for the Freelander.

H
new discovery - no gearbox 7 weeks - Happy Blue!
Demand a courtesy Disco with tow bar.

If one is not forthcoming within three days, go to the newspaper - or sue the dealer saying the car in not of merchantable quality if a gearbox a) breaks down within 1 year and 10,000 miles and b) a replacement cannot be sourced promptly.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
new discovery - no gearbox 7 weeks - Cyd
Have you rung Land Rover Customer Services at Gaydon? My guess is no. Unfortunately it's a bit late now, but ask your dealer for the number and ring them on Monday. They will not allow this situation to continue. BUT, do be friendly and factual - and make sure you have all your vehicle info to hand.
new discovery - no gearbox 7 weeks - Aprilia
If its a Freelander or Defender then it may be a Rover-designed gearbox (not sure if Rover or Ford were making them in recent years). I think the Disco used a non-Rover 'box.

Basically, look in the handbook. If the gearbox oil for your vehicle is listed as 'MTF94' then its a Rover box. It could be that there is a supply problem......