Steering Wheels - BobbyG
I know that there has been some attempts at changing steering wheels like the wheel used in Knight Rider etc.

But all a steering wheel needs to do is turn the wheels left or right. Could we not do this with a simple joystick, say for example resting on the driver's door. Obviously there would be some sort of feedback through it but how far away do you think we are before the steering wheel is done away with or radically changed?
Steering Wheels - Altea Ego
It has started with aircraft. The Airbus was the first commercial airliner with a joystick.

Most of the major manufacturers have shown demo cars with joysticks or some kind of alternative steering device.

The problem is.....all that is between your hand and where the wheels point is French electronics.....
Steering Wheels - BobbyG
The problem is.....all that is between your hand and where the wheels point is French electronics.....

RF, how could you!!! Traitor!!
Steering Wheels - Robin Reliant
It is probably quite hard to maintain fine control over directional changes with a joystick, if my own experiences on computer games are anything to go by. Different in the air where instant precision isn't so important, but I don't think I would fancy it in the car.

Classic case of if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
Steering Wheels - BobbyG
But that argument could be applied to so many improvements we have seen eg. automatic handbrake, remote control locking etc etc.

I appreciate it would need to have more control than a playstation or whatever, but once the car companies see the benefits in it, esp RHD / LHD costs, I am sure money will be spent developing it and persuading us that we need it!
Steering Wheels - J Bonington Jagworth
"It is probably quite hard to maintain fine control over directional changes with a joystick"

Especially if being bounced around at the same time. A steering wheel you can hang on to!

Still, as fly-by-wire is becoming the norm for other controls, it seems a logical step. IIRC, some fighter planes have a combat mode that locks the joystick, which then responds only to pressure. The control could also be made non-linear to extend the degree of precision in the middle. It will happen, I'm sure...
Steering Wheels - Happy Blue!
Several car companies have already got systems working of a central joystick that is used with left or right hand - depending where you sit.

Part of the problem is the legislative need to have a physical connection between driver and road via sterring wheel, column, rack, wheels and tyres. Electronic drive by wire not permitted as yet.

Also, will take a lot of geting used to by many drivers. It will be the biggest change in the way a car is driven since automatic gearboxes arrived - and far bigger. Anything else is just tinkering at the edges making cars a little easier or safer.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Steering Wheels - matstro
Why on earth would anyone want to get rid of the steering wheel in a car???????
JBJ made a good point about the steering wheel being something you can hang on to. How many times over the years have we read about joyriders crashing a car and the driver absconding, leaving his passengers dead or seriously injured in the wreckage? No accident is instant - even the most sudden emergency gives enough warning for the occupants to brace themselves, and the driver has the advantage of absorbing a considerable amount of force with his arms. I have always felt that this is a major reason why it seems to be the passengers who suffer the worst injuries in a crash, having to take the full force of the impact with their bodies, even if it is only onto the seatbelt or the air bag.

I personally would feel very vulnarable without the wheel to hold when I'm driving.
"I personally would feel very vulnarable without the wheel to hold when I'm driving."

I agree, but (donning devil's advocate wig) that may not be a bad thing. If some drivers felt a bit more vulnerable, they might have fewer accidents!

By the same token, it might also eliminate the wheel-twirling machismo element - not that I drive like that, of course.. :-)
Steering Wheels - mfarrow
How do you react to a blow-out with a joystick?

What about a sudden electrics/ignition failure? OK so you loose power steering these days, but at least you can steer (sort of).

A pointless waste of development time and energy.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Steering Wheels - Chad.R
A joystick? It'll never work because they'll never manage to fit a full size airbag to the end of one!

Seriously though, I think I'll always prefer a proper wheel - I just can't imagine enjoying "spirited" driving using a joystick - Might as well stay at home and play Gran Turismo!
In the future, when the Mysterons have attacked earth, we will all be driving around backwards in Spectrum Pursuit Vehicles

To drive backwards it is of course equiped with a joystick.
Steering Wheels - Ex-Moderator
But in both the SPC (the little red one) and the MSV (the large white one) we will be driving forward with steering wheels (or close to it).

Also, I seem to recall that the Angels did not have joysticks and as I recall I think all Thunderbirds had steering wheels.

So I reckon its not conclusive.
Ah! But

TB1 had levers, TB2 had a wheel, TB3 had buttons, TB4 had a flight yoke, and of course TB5 went nowhere so had nothing.

Cant for the life of me remember what the Mole used.

Seems to me that brains went to several car design schools.

Pretty sure that the mole had joystick.

Are you sure that TB3 had just buttons ? Although you're right, TB1 did have levers.

Also, I have a feeling that TB5 had a joystick, since they did have a problem with it in one episode.

Cloudbase had levers.

Stingray had a sort of steering wheel, as did XL5.

The Enterprise had buttons, although it could be overridden with a joystick.

Starfighters had a joystick.
what did the Eagles on Moonbase Alpha have?

Also in UFO

Strikers car had a steering wheel, but what did the interceptors have?
The Eagles had joysticks.

Don't remember about Striker's car.
Steering Wheels - blue_haddock
Seems to me that brains went to several car design schools.

Good job he didn't go to the Bangle school of vehicle design!
Study the shape and styling q's of TB2, and then look at a Bangle beemer. You may be suprised.
TB2 was my favourite. I used to run around the playground (about 32 years ago I might add) with my arms stretched forwards, whereas all the others wanted to be TB1 or TB3. A sense of flexibility in service delivery they did not have....
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
American cars in the fifties had steering wheels that controlled the accelerator. You had to move them from side to side even on a straight road to keep the car moving.

I know because I've seen it on the movies.
Steering Wheels - L'escargot
Remove the rim from a Citroen (can't remember which model) single-spoke steering wheel and you have a "joystick" ~ don't you?
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
All citroens had only one spoke until recently. DS, GS, CX, BX, Visa. Think 2CV may have had a two spokes though?
--
Steering Wheels - Adam {P}
You're all mad.
--
Adam
You're all mad.
--
Adam

>>
No, just underemployed.
Steering Wheels - Adam {P}
That completely undermines my position to insult you lot then!
--
Adam
A few, but most famously the DS. And no you dont have a Joystick, you have a lever.
Steering Wheels - L'escargot
A few, but most famously the DS. And no you dont
have a Joystick, you have a lever.

What's the difference between a joystick moving in one plane only and a lever? They're both a rod with a pivot at one end.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
>> A few, but most famously the DS. And no you
dont
>> have a Joystick, you have a lever.
>>
What's the difference between a joystick moving in one plane only
and a lever? They're both a rod with a pivot at
one end.

Not at all. a Joystick is a rod with a BALL JOINT at the enbd and has the ability to move in any direction.

A lever however can only move through one plane becuase it is limited by its pivot.
Steering Wheels - trancer
"A lever however can only move through one plane becuase it is limited by its pivot."

But as it is used for steering wouldn't it then be known as a "Tiller"?. I seem to remember a story about very early cars being available with tillers only, then some manufacturer decided to use a wheel and there was a huge (well, huge among the minute number of drivers at the time) uproar about the change from Tiller to Steering wheel.

The RHD/LHD issue has already been addressed, just get a McLaren F1. I don't remember the make, but there was a concept car with a movable steering console that could make the vehicle RHD or LHD just by sliding it to either end.
"you dont have a Joystick, you have a lever"

I think the idea of the joystick is that is steers in one plane, and accelerates/brakes in the other, thereby eliminating the equivalent of left-foot braking :-(

Although handbrake turns should still be possible :-)
Steering Wheels - AngryJonny
A pointless waste of development time and energy.

Not at all. Imagine being able to drive your car with a Playstation joypad. A little stick to steer. Button A to accelerate and B to brake. If you get bored driving you can just hand the joypad over to the missus in the passenger seat. The kids could even drive from the back. No more LRD/RHD problems. Plenty of extra buttons to control the stereo, cruise, tiptronic shift etc. And the "pause" function would come in very handy.
Steering Wheels - barchettaman
~If you get bored driving you can just hand the joypad over to the missus in the passenger seat.

What you really need is a Playstation joystick to control the missus.
Steering Wheels - Cliff Pope
Early Edwardian cars had tillers, like small boats. Then along came wheels, because they found, as with larger ships, they gave more control.
But there is no need for the wheel to be at 90 degrees to the fore/aft line - small launches often have the wheel mounted on the side, turned sideways.
Steering Wheels - cheddar
Of course the next step with be a Bluetooth transponder transplanted into the back of the neck enabling control of the major functions of the car by simple thought, might be necessary to have an RS232, USB or Firewire socket somewhere in the spine as a back up, (dont worry ladies, it will be hidden by the strap of your thong). Have to be careful as to how the car translates the thoughts though, i.e. "That's an attractive young lady driving that Porsche" could be interpreted as "flat out away from the lights until the next roundabout" and "damm I have left my brief case at home" could be "emergency stop and instant U-turn".

"might be necessary to have an RS232, USB or Firewire socket somewhere in the spine as a back up, (dont worry ladies, it will be hidden by the strap of your thong"

Would that make Nicolle "Plug and Play"?
Steering Wheels - cheddar
"might be necessary to have an RS232, USB or Firewire socket
somewhere in the spine as a back up, (dont worry ladies,
it will be hidden by the strap of your thong"
Would that make Nicolle "Plug and Play"?

>>

Perhaps "plug", might have to do a bit of tweaking to achieve "play".