Diesel fuel filters - Renault - BobG
Since 1996 Renault have extended their change intervals for fuel filters from 18000 to 36000 miles. Is this a result of clean, modern fuels or are they just stretching the interval for the sake of cost ? Can I risk the fuel filter on my 2002 Megane dCi for 36000 mls? I change the oil and filter at 6000 anf the air filter at 12000 myself.
Diesel fuel filters - Renault - 659FBE
There is no magic here - for a specified filter (entrapment area) the change interval simply depends on your fuel consumption, mileage and the cleanliness of the fuel.

If Renault have done the usual trick of stretching service intervals to breaking point without changing the fuel filter type, be careful. On the other hand, my own experience indicates that fuel bought on the "high street" from a fast mover is nowadays very clean, so you might just be OK to 36k miles. From memory, the filter is not overly large on this engine, so 20k might be safer. Whatever else you do, drain the water out of it every service. Ususally there isn't any, but one day you might get a surprise,