astra missfiring - kevin
my 95 astra 16 sport has atendancy to run very rough firing on only 2 or 3 cylinders mainly when cold but not from the off. usually after a couple off minutes into the journey and lasting for a further couple off minutes. it has been known to happen after 15-20 mins of driving resulting in lack of power.having had countless visits to main dealers resulting in valve stem modifications and ultimatly a complete short block replaced the fault still occurs. any ideas
Re: astra missfiring - Mark (Brazil)
you've tried the obvious ? leads, airleaks etc ?
Re: astra missfiring - kevin
as i said numerous trips to the garage has not come up with any cures new leads were fitted at the start of the problems
Re: astra missfiring - steve paterson
Kevin,
I don't know who advised you about fitting a short motor to cure a misfire, but being as it hasn't worked, I've got a pair of mudflaps you can try.
Steve.
the engine was replaced by vauxhall under an extended warrenty due to the main dealer diagnosing scoring of the bores
Re: astra missfiring - gwyn parry
Yes,
Owned a 95 Astra Sport (a 1.8) from new. After 10,000 miles had exactly the same symptoms straight after a main dealer service. Was about to leave on an Euro Hol in it and called the AA out, they got it going and it farted its way down the A5 to a Vauxhall dealer in Telford. (Name escapes me) Thanks to excellent customer services ther e (i.e. let me queue jump) they unleashed one of their technicians on it. He plugged in a diagnostic computer into it and it showed no problem, he then stripped out the plugs and put them back in muttering oaths about ECOTEC engines and their ECUs, the car performed faultlessly afterwards until I flogged it 5000 miles later, Funnily enough I saw it out on the road the other day....still seemed to be going well !
Re: astra missfiring - David Davies
Perhaps your engine is suffering from valve sticking,despite the mechanical work you have had done. Here are are few ideas to reduce the problem:

1Use top quality engine oil Mobil 1 is ideal
Re: astra missfiring - David Davies
Perhaps your engine is suffering from valve sticking,despite the mechanical work you have had done. Here are are few ideas to reduce the problem:

1Use top quality engine oil ,Mobil 1 is ideal.

2Try some Forte Gas treatment in the fuel tank.

3Drive the car more vigorously and allow engine to rev freely.

4Experiment with different brands of fuel. Try Shell Optimax Unleaded.

Here's hoping you find the problem and let us know the outcome.
Re: astra missfiring - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
Almost certainly a head related problem, which is why the short mota didnt cure anything. Give the engine a flush and change the oil (personally I would not use a full synthetic until the new short motor has run in a bit) say 5 or 10w/30 an as David Davies says, give it a bit more stick. PS where do you buy your fuel from at present?
combination of ESSO and Q8 GARAGES
Re: astra missfiring - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Kevin,

Forgive me answering on Andrew's behalf - he must have had a bad night !

Esso / Q8 is fine - he was jsut concerned that you might have been using Supermarket blends, which can throw up your sort of problems.

Regards, Adam
Re: astra missfiring - David Nicholls
whatever the problems up top, you are looking at a bill to replace the cat at next MOT. all these repairs might be more than the car is worth at 6/7 years old.

still think that vauxhalls are prone to clogging up with poor petrol, short journeys, limiited maintenance etc. not an indictment about you just a fact that modern multivlave engines like and need to be "driven" now and again, not pottering around towns all the time. go on give it a good thrashing thru the box.