Insurance for wheelchair car - commerdriver
Can any of you guys who know about insurance help with this one please?

My mother in law is confined to a wheelchair. My wife and her two sisters are considering purchasing a wheelchair friendly vehicle between them.
The vehicle would be kept at MiL's house and driven by whichever of the girls happens to be visiting to take their mother out.

If we buy the car in the name of one of the sisters and add the others as named drivers, will an insurance company object to it being kept at a different address?

One of the girls has suggested that the car is registered and insured in MiL's name, I have said that I doubt that we could do that as MiL is 78 and no longer has a driving licence, am I getting that right?
I would welcome any suggestions as MiL is keen on the idea and we are going to look at suitable vehicles this weekend.
Insurance for wheelchair car - Ex-Moderator
Register and insure it in the name of one of the sisters, add the others as additional drivers. All three sister's should try getting quotes and see who gets the best one. And then go with that. Existing vehicle, existing insurer, drivign record, age etc. etc. all make a difference, so it is just simpler for all three to shop around and see who gets the best deal.

Explain to an insurer the situation and the extremely limited mileage (might get a discount).

Address where normally parked should be given as MiL's and an explanation, pretty much as you have written above, should be given.

You could do it in MiL's name, but without MiL as a driver. An insurance company won't have an issue with that, but websites and call centres might fail to understand. Whilst possible, its probably just too difficult /complicated /tiresome to be worth the effort.

As in all these cases, the issues can be the call centre, admin person, whatever, not relaly the insurance company. Persevere even if you get a negative - there is no true issue in what you are trying to do. When it is done, get it all confirmed in writing.

If you do have an issue, then let me know exactly what the issue is and we'll take it from there.

Insurance for wheelchair car - Happy Blue!
Use a good broker - invaluable for slightly complicated situations. I can recommend if necessary.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Insurance for wheelchair car - Blue {P}
It could easily be registered to her I think, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that a car can be registered to absoloutely anyone, whether they are allowed to drive it is another matter.

As for the insurance, I would try Elephant or a company like them as they allow you to insure a car that is not your property so long as the owner of the car doesn't have it insured seperately. I insure my 3 series with them even though it is still registered to my dad who was the original owner.

Good luck with the search, you got ideas of what sort of vehicle you would buy yet? Would you want the car converting so that your MIL can actually be put in the car still in her wheelchair or you just looking for an irdinary car that she can sit in and store the wheelchair in the boot?

Blue
Insurance for wheelchair car - commerdriver
Thanks for the replies. We are looking for an already converted vehicle where we can load wheelchair with MiL still in it. Probably end up being a converted Kangoo / Berlingo or similar as these seem to be the most popular on the second hand market.

I will let you know how we get on