Emotion vs. logic once again - THe Growler
The legendary lack of will-power in this family regarding things automotive with very large engines threatens another assault on the biscuit tin under the mattress in the form of a stable-mate for the Growlette's red '66 Mustang rag-top owned these last 11 years. This time a 3 owner '66 V-8 hardtop, current owner a Philippine Airlines 747 flight engineer 14 years, 90% original, all the VIN specs check out against the Owners Club decode tables, even the monster cast-iron aircon compressor atop the engine works (most have been replaced long ago with Jap aftermarket ones). Some welding needed on the notorious rear frame rails, and more needed to the trunk floor, as is common. Easy job. The 205-15 tires are too bid and scrape the inside of the fenders on sharp turns, so we need new boots, the ammeter and one horn don't work, all the fluids are clean and the engine bay is cared for and very tidy. Some of the chrome a bit faded but easily replateable here. Boosted front drums a bit grabby but stop very well , I think I'd do the DIY disc conversion anyway it's just an afternoon task, 2 year old repaint in the original Wimbledon white, new headlining just done. Asking just short of 5k pounds equiv. The combination of hot metal and vinyl smells mingled with unburnt gas through that big old carb and the unmistakeable exhaust note.....Beatles on the 4-track, close your eyes and it's 1966 again.

I think I'm in love. But I don't have any more carport space......
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - ian (cape town)
GO FOR IT, Growler!
You only live once, and just think, if you were back in Blighty, you'd be driving a small reliant robin, or struggling to get the bus...
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - THe Growler
Ian, you are no help at all! ;o)
Sorry Growler, I'll try to be more helpful. Sell ALL your present cars, and buy a Renault 9 (or 2CV) for you and Growlette to share.
This way you will feel very good about your parsimony, and will be able to open a small orphanage in the carport.
Similar, but the Bullitt one is a '67 (newer shape and some would say not the classic one). TYpe Mustang in any search engine for an idea.
Kevin:

It's the regular 289 cu in V-8 (4273 cc I think that comes out at) with the 2 bbl carb. Has got MSD electronic ignition though, which is really a must conversion on these. A lovely engine with evrything totally over-engineered, which of course is why they're great engines to hot-rod.
Kevin:

It's the regular 289 cu in V-8 (4273 cc I think that comes out at) with the 2 bbl carb. Has got MSD electronic ignition though, which is really a must conversion on these. A lovely engine with evrything totally over-engineered, which of course is why they're great engines to hot-rod.
Growler,
this car must be getting to you - you're starting to gibber! :)
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - Tomo
Why should logic be opposed to emotion. We are only here for a short time, and it seems to me logical to make the best of it if we can!
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - Richard Hall
£5K for a '66 Mustang? Sounds like stunning value - go and buy it before someone else does. Can you extend your carport?

My boss has two '66 Mustangs, but they don't get out much at this time of year.
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - Alwyn
Talking of 1966 reminds me of a sad story from Tony Curtis.

It seems that during the Nineties he came across one of his old cars which he drove in his younger Sixties days.

He sat in it and went back in time.

Major mistake was to look in the rear view mirror. He said last time he looked in that mirror, this handsome curly haired stud smiled back at him.

This time he was stunned to see a wrinkled old dude with contacts and a grey rug on his head.

Know wot he means?
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - Phil P
Is this like Steve McQueen's car in bullitt?
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - Kevin

Phil,

The Bullitt Mustang was a Fastback GT where the roofline slopes all the way to the tail like a hatchback.
I'm assuming that Growlers potential purchase is a hardtop coupe which has a more vertical rear screen and a horizontal trunk lid, much like a two door saloon.
The HT coupe is by far the prettiest of the two (IMHO).

Kevin...
Re:2001 car sales. - Robert Knight
The SMMT suggests that car sales are up because of their value for money.

Could not the record car sales of 2001 merely be the result of the UK's public transport system being so bad that people are driven to purchase cars in desperation?

Ban cars - return to the stone-age!

Rob K.
Re:2001 car sales. - Mark (Brazil)
and even my warped thinking processes are struggling to find a link between this and Growler's Mustang.
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - Kevin

Go for it Growler !

Spend another grand on tidying it up and you'll have a beauty.
BTW, which engine is fitted ?

Kevin...
Ian, I know I really ought to be more green and civic-minded but somehow I just can't.
www.geocities.com/Motor City/3380 is the Mustang Owners Club of GB. That's a good source for anyone interested. Great classic, simple, easy to fix, not that expensive to run despite the V-8, nothing much wears out anyway, all parts readily available and a head-turner. Don't buy the 6 cyl though, that's mimser-material.

Yes I think I will buy it and get off this thread. That's the red one and the white one sorted out, now I suppose we'd better get a blue one.

THank you all for your patience. I'll report on ownership in due course.
Re: Emotion vs. logic once again - Brian
Growler said "Yes I think I will buy it ......."

Was there any doubt?. The "SOLD" sign was there right from the start.
Thank you Tomo: everyone should have I believe a "folly", i.e. something which makes no particular sense at all except they want to have/do it badly enough. THe only slight problem comes when the Growlette raises an eyebrow and remarks "well, one folly, I'd agree with you, two maybe, but...here we go again. Another point on this is here in the Phils Mustangs, Camaros, Harleys, 'Vettes all hold their prices and it is not unusual to get as much as one paid for them or even more. Dammit I'm done for, another set of car keys to misplace somewhere round the house.....

We still have leaded gas here as well so no probs in that dept.
Re:2001 car sales. - Steve G
How many of these were made ??
The noise alone must be worth 5K ;)
Got me thinking about what kind of british classic car you could get for 5K. Conclusion ....
Triumph Stag maybe ? Hmm..... maybe not.
Re:2001 car sales. - David Davies
If you really want to know how many were made,total production of Hardtop Mustang in 1966MY was 499,751. There were also 72,119 Convertibles and 35,698 Fastbacks .