Subaru price please? - nick
I'm thinking of changing my Legacy for another (an Impreza will have to wait for next year) but the price guides and asking prices seem to be all over the place. So what's a fair price for these....

2001 on a 51 plate Legacy 2.0 GL saloon, red mica, just under 25K miles, air con and the usual toys, from a main dealer so presumably FSSH, up for £7995 which seems a bit rich to me, presumably the low mileage is why.

Also what is the likely p/x on my 2001 W plate Legacy GL saloon, solid blue, a leggy 105k, dealer history to 55k then me with Subaru filters etc, recent cambelt fitted by dealer, no aircon, good P6000's, tidy looker but usual scratches, chips etc?

What sort of deal does anyone reckon I could get? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Subaru price please? - mare
Glass' Guide via the Vauxhall Site indicates the following PX values for the above car (although values are for a manual not auto, and a 2000 W):

Excellent condition:
£3210

Average condition:
£2840

Below average condition:
£2460

Here are the Glass' PX values for the Red car that's under consideration, again assumed manual:

Excellent condition:
£5340

Average condition:
£4790

Below average condition:
£4210

Thanks for that mare.

Anyone know what the market is like at the moment? Legacy saloons aren't that popular so that would count both for and against as I'm p/xing one. I'm wondering what my cost to change would be. Perhaps the best thing would be to have a chat with the dealer though it would be nice to know what he'd likely come down to.
Subaru price please? - Happy Blue!
I think that the proposed replacement Legacy is still the old model and not the replacement one from a couple of years ago. Would therefore assume that the dealer will be happy to talk a deal with you to get an old model of his forecourt. But although yours is also a Subaru, it may be too leggy for him to really want in PX, so he may simply offer you the underwrite price. This happened with my Volvo against our new Trajet.

The discounted price for cash for the Trajet was say £15,000 and the underwrite offer from a third party was £5,100 so I paid over £9,900.

You may be better trying to sell the old Legacy privately.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Subaru price please? - Aprilia
I rather like Subarus and about a year ago was helping a friend track down a good Legacy. We found that they are very poor sellers as used cars and many (even very good ones) had been sat at dealers for months. I think they are bit too 'quirky' for Mr Average and so get overlooked. Unless the market has radically changed then I would say demand is very very weak and you will struggle to sell your 100k+ vehicle at any price. BTW - estates sell much better than saloons, but judging by the ones we looked at many estates will have had a right thrashing from their 'green wellied' owners!
Subaru price please? - DavidHM
eBay may be the only way to get rid of the Legacy privately and I reckon £2,200 would do it as long as you start the bidding low - for some reason it seems to be much easier to commit to buying a car in incremental steps rather than asking them for the whole £2k straight out.

If you're planning to change, you may as well do it properly. Budget £2k as a worst case scenario for repairs due to the extra 80k miles and if you manage to knock £1k off the screen price at the dealer, you're still paying close to £3k to have a car that's only 18 months newer.

My advice to you would be to hold on until what you really want is in reach and run the current car into the ground, if necessary, to get there.
Thanks for the ideas. Legacy saloons do seem to be difficult to sell, when I bought mine it had sat at a car supermarket for ages so I got a good deal. I agree the sensible thing is to hang on until I can get what I really want. I'll be in a position to get a new or nearly-new Impreza next year (if I can live with the image!) so maybe I'll keep the Legacy as an every day car as it will be worth so little. There's no reason it won't go on and on (touch wood), it'll just get tattier.
Which leads me to another question....an Impreza isn't the sort of car most people buy just to go to church in, they are likely to have been driven hard and quite likely on track days (I'll be after an STI with Prodrive pack). So, would it be better to buy new and be sure it hadn't been thrashed, or a year or two old but still under Subaru warranty and save a few thousand? Subaru are including a PPP upgrade on all STI and WRX models at the moment presumably as there is a new model or facelft due this autumn. I'm thinking that there will be plenty the right spec available in autumn 2006 and the prices may have taken a bit of a knock due to the new model (assuming it's not plug-ugly). On the other hand, Imprezas do seem to hold their value quite well.

So what do you think? Would a 1-2 year old Subaru-approved Impreza be ok or would it be better to buy new? The thousands saved on a used one would go a long way towards any repairs plus the warranty should give some piece of mind, but it would be nice to buy new and know it hadn't done traffic lights Grands Prix every day or spent most of its low mileage at the red line.

And is my thinking about future prices logical or flawed?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
I bought a one-year old Forester XT (Turbo) in December from a main dealer and am very happy with it and it had clearly been well looked after, even though it had only been serviced once.

I suspect that the boy racers who give Imprezza's a bad name drive older models (at least the ones I see do) so a one-year old model should be fine and you would probably spot a hard driven one by the tyres or general condition. Remember that an engine is all the better for being run in with a bit of (not too much) welly.

I reckon you would get a good one year old car and save money by keeping teh Laegacy for everyday stuff or longer journeys
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Subaru price please? - Wilco {P}
Nick

Think laterally - Impreza now has poor image - theft target, boy racers own the cheap end of the market and have dragged down the range etc.

You've got a Legacy - get another one - Spec B 3 litre (Estate for resale purposes) - no image issues, a veritable Q-car, you'll never see another on the road, same economy as the STI (i.e. poor!), ultimately not as fast as the STI but 200+ hp flat six will make you smile.

I got the 2.5 but have a constant nagging desire to upgrade....
Yup thats my next car if I don't find a cheap Pheaton 3.0TDi.
--
Mmm, a Spec B, now there's a thought. A bit dearer than an Impreza though. I must admit I prefer the looks and image of a Spec B compared to an STI, bling gold wheels and a huge spoiler aren't really me but... an Impreza is going to be more chuckable and faster too - I fancy the occasional track day. I really want an out-and-out performance car before I'm too old and doddery to enjoy it (some might say I am already). I can't see an big estate car handling anywhere near as well. I also thought about an EVO VIII, they look relatively restrained in silver. But again, dearer than an Impreza, and it doesn't seem the reliability and dealers are on a par with Subaru.
Perhaps I ought to spend a few thousand on a track day car and trailer and get a Spec B estate with a tow bar. Not the end of the world if I stuff it into the armco either.

So many cars, so little time (and money!).