What car do you aspire to? - MuttleyMcLad
I currently own a 05 plate Ford Ka base model, I intend to keep this car for 3 years or thereabouts, and my ideal next car would be a Mondeo TDCI 130 bhp in Ghia x spec, I thought does this make me sad/uncool? aspiring to a mondeo diesel? But ghia x spec has all the toys and I will still get 50mpg!! what more could anybody want?

Any comments would be appreciated

Rich
What car do you aspire to? - keo-the-dog
well i really fancy a bentley arnage one of my neighbours has one and i like it. but back to reality i like my new (3 year old) avensis cdx auto it's not very economical averageing 23mpg and it could handle better but it is a very capable car for my needs...cheers...keo.
What car do you aspire to? - Citroënian {P}
Nothing wrong with wanting the Mondeo, a colleague has that exact car and it's very nice to travel around in. In fact, I was passed by a new model Vectra, in gold with darkened windows tonight in Bradford, being driven in a manner more usual for a beaten up civic (i.e. loud music, barely able to see over steering wheel), so if Vectras are cool, the a Mondeo certainly could be.

Aspirational car? XK8 convertible in British racing green...

-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
What car do you aspire to? - y2k+4
Aston Martin DB9??? Ultimate aspiration...maybe in 20 years or something...

Next car? Hmmm...a Celica?
What car do you aspire to? - Blue {P}
Within the next 5 years, some sort of convertible, possibly the New Focus CC when it arrives.

Within the next 30 years, an Aston Martin DB something or other, whatever they have out at the time really.

Blue
What car do you aspire to? - Quinny100
In the immediate future (12-18 months) I aspire to own a Mondeo ST TDCi. I had planned to replace my 2002 TDCi 130 Zetec this summer but its doing its job so well I've decided to run it another year.

Longer term I'd like to own a BMW M5.
What car do you aspire to? - MichaelR
As I am just a full time Uni student at the moment I drive a 2.0 Ghia X Mondeo. Might change it to an ST200 in the near future, but my long term plan is to stick with Mondeos until I can get a 2003 E39 BMW 530d Sport when I finish Uni, which will be kept until I can afford my dream car - an E39 BMW M5.
What car do you aspire to? - trancer
Leaving the dream machinery aside I would like my next car to be either a:

Mondeo TDCI (Ghia X or Zetec S)
VW Golf GT TDI
VW Passat Sport TDI
Mitsubishi Lancer GSR Evolution IV

Yeah I know that last one is a bit out of place, but a co-worker got one recently and after seeing and hearing it, I suddenly want to relive my teenage years.
What car do you aspire to? - cheddar
Makes me feel quite good this thread, I own a Mondeo TDCI 130 hatch in Ghia X spec, it has all the toys does do 50mpg!!

What more could anybody want?

Quite fancy a Ferrari 612 though an E320 CDi estate or 535d Touring are more sensible and currently just as unaffordable.

A 2.2 TDCi Mondeo appeals, the hatch is big enough so not estate, as does a new Focus estate, a Megane 225, a x-Type with the 2.2 diesel engine, perhaps a 330d or C270.
What car do you aspire to? - bradgate
Be careful what you wish for...

Last night I was speaking to a guy with a stunning black BMW 535d sport Touring. Cost him £47k, and he hates it.

He hates the seats, the active steering, but most of all the '******* i-drive'. He much prefers his old E39 530d.

Personally, I would have done my homework before parting with 47 grand, but there you go....

What car do you aspire to? - Chad.R
Personally, I would have done my homework before parting with 47 grand, but there you go....

A lengthy test drive should've highlighted the seats and active steering, even if he thought he'd get familiar with the i-Drive.
Last night I was speaking to a guy with a stunning
black BMW 535d sport Touring. Cost him £47k, and he hates
it.
He hates the seats, the active steering, but most of all
the '******* i-drive'. He much prefers his old E39 530d.

I was recently speaking to a guy who had bought a BMW 645i (actually a reasonably well know TV personaility though I am not going to name drop) he also hated it, similar comments, said it made him feel so remote from the road. Was looking to trade it for a 911.
What car do you aspire to? - Ex-Moderator
>>(actually a reasonably well know TV personaility though I am not going to name drop)

So why mention it at all ?
>>(actually a reasonably well know TV personaility though I am not going to name drop)

So why mention it at all ?
>>

Fair question. I was going to say who it was i.e. "I was talking to XX the other day" though changed my mind as I was typing on the basis that it is not for me to pass on what is someone else's business, I guess my post simply followed my thought process.
What car do you aspire to? - Garethj
aspiring to a mondeo diesel? But ghia x spec has all the toys and I will still get 50mpg!! what more could anybody want?

I'm sure it's a nice car, but aspirational? What about a Lancia Stratos, Bentley Speed 6, Ford RS 200, Aston Martin DB5?

Most of my memorable drives have been in cars which stir the heart, rather than get 50mpg and have a nice CD player

IMHO of course!
What car do you aspire to? - Altea Ego
You dont "aspire" to cars like a Mondeo. Or a laguna. or probably even a regular 3 series BMW.
They fall into the "quite fancy" or "nice to have" or "makes sense" - all probably very easily obtainable.

Aspirational cars fall into the "Jeez if I sold the house, put the wife on the streets, the child up chimneys, the dog to the research centre, I could have one of those"

What car do you aspire to? - Big Bad Dave
I fancy something a bit off the wall. I can see myself in an immaculate, red Ford Torrino with a white stripe.
What car do you aspire to? - holly1
A BMW Mini Cooper S with all the fancy bits of kit, either red or black with a union jack on the roof. I know that some of my fellow mini club members would hang me for wanting such a car, but I love both the old and new minis ... and hopefully I would get a few years without having to attack rust!!
What car do you aspire to? - Truckersunite
Aspire - Would have to be Bentley continental. Would Like - Have got a nice endowment going that should get me my TVR when I hit my midlife crisis at about 45 - Although my daughter will turn 18 at the same time so I can see that money going elsewhere - Will have to try and make sure she does not want to go to uni!!!!!
What car do you aspire to? - BazzaBear {P}
Absolute aspiration - 80's Aston Martin Vantage
Intention for next car (in 2-3 years probably) Alfa 147 or 156 GTA. Will decide at the time which is most suitable.
What car do you aspire to? - Burnout2
E46 BMW M3, coupe, silver, manual - for me, if it's not attainable within the next few years it's not really aspirational; at least not in a way that gets my juices flowing.
What car do you aspire to? - Chad.R
I have so many! - the question should've been "What cars do you aspire to?"

If I had to choose one of the current crop, it would be the DB9.
What car do you aspire to? - Tomo
Well, not much chance of an F40 or the like ever, now, so I'd better just aspire to a Supra TT; which I've got.

Very good car, actually, although there is a prejudice against them as Jap detritus which cannot possibly amount to classic status; that I cannot complain about, as it made a decent one affordable. Perhaps there is a place for another thread on what may accord such status - being the last survivor of what was an absolute lemon in its youth seems to suffice, for a starter!
What car do you aspire to? - tyro
I checked "aspire" in my dictionary. It said "eagerly desire". I thought about it and decided "Hang the Lexus RX. What I actually eagerly desire is for my car to go smoothly for 20 years without requiring major expenditure."

Put like that, I aspire to own a 20-year-old 53 plate Ford Ka base model in 18 years time!
What car do you aspire to? - chris_w
Has to be a Ferrari for me. Loved the 355 spyder when it first came out and think I actually like the 360 even more. Either of those would be just dandy.

The when I get a little older, an Aston of some description would be just the ticket.

After my drive to work today, a monster truck would've been my dream car, then I could've just gone over the top of the 5 miles of traffic in my way!
What car do you aspire to? - helicopter

-After my drive to work today, a monster truck would've been my dream car, then I could've just gone over the top of the 5 miles of traffic in my way! -

chris_w - Its much easier to do that in a helicopter.

Anyway my aspiration would be a 1920's supercharged Bentley with leather strapped bonnet in British Racing Green of course.
What car do you aspire to? - chris_w
"chris_w - Its much easier to do that in a helicopter."

Yes... but you don't get to hear the sound of metal crushing below you as you drive over the top of them!
What car do you aspire to? - bimmer-driver
Range Rover- the top spec supercharged one will do fine if anyones offering ;-)
What car do you aspire to? - Mapmaker
MK II Jaguar.
What car do you aspire to? - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
In fantasy land an Aston Martin DB9.
In the real world a GTM Libra.
What car do you aspire to? - codefarm
Showing my age, I would love a 'Goldfinger' Aston Martin DB5
What car do you aspire to? - bradgate
MK II Jaguar.

>
With a transplanted XJR powertrain?
What car do you aspire to? - No Do$h
Spent a fair part of the weekend belting around in an F360 Modena and frankly I don't see what the fuss is about. Striking, raucous and quick, but you would get bored with it in weeks (hours in my case)

Prestige and comfort combined with performance is the way to go. Maserati Quattroporte or Bentley Continental perhap?
What car do you aspire to? - Pezzer
No Do$h, never been a Ferrari fancier myself, but was stopped at Fleet Services on the M3 on Sunday before last, and I think it was a 360 convertable pulled in alongside a Lamborghini convertable (Diablo ?).
Anyway I was trying not to look too impressed, not that the same could be said for the dozen or so cub scouts whose sticky fingers were pointing at them. Anyway the Lambo' set off first without any fuss and then about a minute later the 360 sets off, obviously trying to catch up, he absolutely nailed it down the slip road and I have to say I have never heard such a fantastic noise.

If I had the money, I might just be tempted .............

Dream on

P
What car do you aspire to? - strowger
I'd quite like a Maikonics-tuned Citroen CX GTi Turbo 2.

There can't be more than a handful left that aren't rusty, heaps of poo.

I know they are rubbish really, but I want one.

What car do you aspire to? - TimW
An Impreza WRX (pre 'Bug Eye') and/or a massive V something diesel with enough torque to pull several counties along and still return good MPG!
What car do you aspire to? - rtaylor
far and away the richest person i know, multi multi millionaire, mansions, the works, has a mondeo and a micra and drives himself in this country

i guess its just nice to know you could have anything
What car do you aspire to? - blue_haddock
a massive V something
diesel with enough torque to pull several counties along and still return good MPG!

How about a Landrover Defender fitted with a 6.2 V6 GMC diesel? i've seen a couple in action and they are very powerful and give around 20mpg.
What car do you aspire to? - TimW
How about a Landrover Defender fitted with a 6.2 V6 GMC
diesel? i've seen a couple in action and they are very
powerful and give around 20mpg.

I thought even one of that size would still give mid thirties (Based purely on guess work)

Might need to scale down a bit then! 20mpg from a diesel that doesn't have 'TESCO' written down the side is a bit much!
What car do you aspire to? - Sofa Spud
>>>> How about a Landrover Defender fitted with a 6.2 V6 GMC
>>>> diesel? i've seen a couple in action and they are very
>>>> powerful and give around 20mpg.

>>I thought even one of that size would still give mid thirties >>(Based purely on guess work)

The ordinary 2.5 Defender TDi or TD5 struggles to do 30 mpg!

Cheers, Sofa Spud

What car do you aspire to? - Roberson
>>I'd quite like a Maikonics-tuned Citroen CX GTi Turbo 2.

Phew, I thaught I was the only one aspiring to a Citroen! I quite fancy a late edition DS 23Efi in Black.
What car do you aspire to? - Dave E
Mercedes CLS. Saw one today for the first time. Nice.
What car do you aspire to? - romeo156
What is the point of Merc's new CLS?

I looked over one in the showroom last weekend. Sales guy there telling me how it is based on the E Class and a competitor for
BMW 6 Series. I wonder how much they spend developing and how many they expect to sell. You would have thought that with their SL and CLK ranges they had the car already (this just seems another complication).

It looks ok, but inside, forget about rear leg room. With any one of decent size driving, you could not get anyone in the back.

What car do you aspire to? - mike hannon
My aspiration was always a Bentley Continental, anything from 1952-2002. Now I can actually afford one the desire just seems to have died away. Especially when I read about the technical niggles and rust problems that seem to afflict relatively recent Bentleys. Nothing else seems to appeal either. And to think that I once used to lie awake plotting how to turn in my Princess 1800HL for a 2000HLS with twin carbs and power steering! That turned out to be a dud move too - 1800 was far better.
Guess I'll just plod on with my 13-year-old Accord - clean as a whistle and everything still works...
What car do you aspire to? - Dave E
>>What is the point of Merc's new CLS?<<

What is the point of anything, if it comes to that?

It looks fantastic, in my opinion, and that for me is why I aspire to own one. There is no point to any of it.
VW Touran 1.9 or 2.0 TDI. I also quite like the look of the new Golf Plus.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Hummer too small? Unimog too agricultural? Then take a look at the International Trucks website

www.internationaldelivers.com

Then click on the 'XT series' link to find crazy RV's based on real trucks! The tone of the advertising is worrying too!
"Trucks that make a bold statement. Namely, that you rule." Aaargh!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
What car do you aspire to? - Hawesy1982
In the next 5 years: Immaculate Ford Capri 280 Brooklands
In the next 30 years: 996 model 911 Turbo
What car do you aspire to? - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
Personally,
I would love to try, for a month or two, a Tiger Racing Z100WR.
www.tigerracing.co.uk/cars/tiger-z100-main.php
The thought of going on a track in a 600bhp/Ton, 2.9 second 0-60 in road trim, 4 wheel drive roadster is, quite simply, something I have to do before I die. Might end up being about 40 seconds before I die, but it would be a scream.

Used to be a kit for about £13k, but now only available as a turn-key for around £30. Shame. Could have bought a kit, made it, used for 6 months and maybe sold for the purchase price... Next time maybe. Need a Garage first!
What car do you aspire to? - Buster Cambelt
Not the shed of a Volvo V70 that SWMBO talked me into buying, that's for sure.
What car do you aspire to? - Bagpuss
Leaving aside the usual unaffordable supercars, two (almost) unaffordable classics that would be on my shopping list following the lottery win:
Mercedes 280SE Cabrio W111 (late 60's S Class)
Citroën ID/ DS Cabrio from the same period