Is this wheely posible? - grn
Hi All,

Just had an interesting discovery having had a puncture on my BMW 330 (a gash in they tyre which made it flat very very quickly!)...... The space saver spare will *Not* fit onto the wheel - it fouls on the brake calliper - confirmed by breakdown recovery chap !!!!

Has anyone else come across this or know how may variants of space saver spare wheel BM has?

Also curious as to what I should expect. The car was sold via the approved used programme, it is only 6 months old and 1600 on the clock (i am in my 3rd wk of ownership).

I now have a car with a flat and no usable spare. BMW assist have now arranged a flatbed recovery for tomorrow - I nintend to go to my local tyre fitter, followed by a visit to Lovetts!!!
Is this wheely posible? - Avant
I'm not normally in favour of more legislation but it would be a great benefit to all if the Government, or better still the EU, made space-savers illegal.

Most BMWs are driven well by people who know how to use the performance: but some are driven by thieves, or young sons of owners, and an accident caused by someone driving a 330 at 100 mph with its spacesaver fitted doesn't bear thinking about.

I could go on about the extra cost to the owner (depriving them of a £200 type which came free with my Audi) but we have done this before and DD's poll was pretty conclusive.
Is this wheely posible? - Avant
That's a £200 tyre rather than a type, or even a typo.
Is this wheely posible? - codefarm
>>>I'm not normally in favour of more legislation but it would be a great benefit to all if the Government, or better still the EU, made space-savers illegal.<<<

Completely agree. Hate the things. Amazed to find one on a SAAB 95 I borrowed once and had to drive around on it for 2 days.
Is this wheely posible? - Dynamic Dave
The space saver spare will *Not* fit onto the wheel - it fouls on the brake calliper - confirmed by breakdown recovery chap !!!!

Where was the puncture - front or rear?

I was always under the impression that space savers had to be fitted to the rear end as you wouldn't want a pram wheel on the front as it would make steering the car interesting to say the least.

Therefore, if it didnt fit the front hub as the brake caliper fouled it, then *maybe* it's desinged to be fitted to the rear only.

If not, then ignore what I've just said.
Is this wheely posible? - Civic8
"Where was the puncture - front or rear?

I was always under the impression that space savers had to be fitted to the rear end as you wouldn't want a pram wheel on the front as it would make steering the car interesting to say the least.

Therefore, if it didnt fit the front hub as the brake caliper fouled it, then *maybe* it's desinged to be fitted to the rear only.

If not, then ignore what I've just said."

Would it not be illegal then.Ie it can only be fitted on rear.I thought these had to be a get you to garage for repair type wheel/fitted front or back.Max speed 50 MPH/KPH.Any spare carried should be legal tread wise and fit any hub.Correct me if wrong?
--
Steve
Is this wheely posible? - No Do$h
If you have a front puncture and the spacesaver has to go on the rear, you just jack up the rear, change the rear wheel, jack up the front, put the rear wheel on the front, curse, go home, order spare full-size alloy.
Is this wheely posible? - apm
Odd thing with my Leon. Had a puncture last year, got out spare. It's a big steel wheel, 205 section tyre on it, but still a space-saver (other tyres are 225s). WHY??? It saves no space, as it's barely slimmer than the alloys on the road wheels. Yet it still said I couldn't go above 50. Pointless. Will specify full size on my next car. GRRRR!!

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Seat Leon Cupra
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Is this wheely posible? - grn
'twas on the rear - outcome very simple...incorrect 16" spare provided on a car with 17" wheels (congrats BMW UK).

Now they're struggling to find a space-saver tyre to fit a space saver wheel they've ordered. 2 wks at the last count.

Recovery was a farce too....nice flatbed covered in glass and muck from an accident he'd proudly recovered last night...not proud enough to clean up though :(