Mondeo 03 water ingress - c11cha
Hello every one. This is my first topic on this forum so i'm hoping for a plesant response.
Can anyone tell me any info at all on water getting into my ford mondeo Zetec? Every time it rains for a lenth of time, there is a gathering of water a the rear passenger door on the drivers side. I cannot for the life of me work out where it is getting in. The only clue i have, is that there is a trickle trace just on the lower part of the door just where the hing is. I contacted ford and they say water ingress is only covered in the first year of the cars life.
On my service book it says the door has been treated for ingress before but there is no stamp from the dealer who carried out the repair.
Thanks if you can help.
Mondeo 03 water ingress - dave kenyon
I had the same problem with my 52 reg zetec bought privately in October 04. Before I had time to investigate the leak I stuck a plastic bag to the seal along the top of the sill. In one afternoon while it was parked it collected about a teacup full of water.
Having removed the door trim (one of the screw covers looked like it had been removed before) my next door neighbour hosed the window & within seconds it was pouring through the material sealing the door - it was porous. I removed this (cleaned off the sealant) & used it as a template to make a new one from visqeen (strong polythene). I cut it slightly bigger & using silcone sealant stuck it to the door. The door trim pushes into the door so offer it up to check the fit before the sealant goes off. I also cut another piece of visqueen to shield the door speaker. Since doing this the cars been bone dry.
Mondeo 03 water ingress - Galaxy
Mondeo Mk 2's are notorious for water leaking in through the rear light seals.

However, I'm not aware of any similar problems with Mk 3's, but it might possibly be just be worth taking a look.

See if the hatch-mat is wet. I know that your leak doesn't appear to be in the hatch area, but water can easily run down. Check the underside of the mat, too, not just the top surface.
Mondeo 03 water ingress - J1mbo
Mk3's indeed suffer from the same problem, its the butel sealant which drys and allows water in. Only way is to use clear sealant and re seal behind the splash guard membrain.
Thanks to all who responded. I'll need to have a good look and see if there is any thing i can do. The water seems to be getting in quite bad when it rains heavy.
Sorry to sound daft, but where exactly am i looking for this problem. Do i need to take the panel off? if i do which panel exactly ? and what is the best sealant to use on this? thanks again for your help.

Mondeo 03 water ingress - dave kenyon
The door panel comes off in one piece. You need to remove the exposed screws around the edges, one in the door handle / lever surround, under a plastic cover then lever out the bit where you put your hand to close the door and you'll find another. I can't remember if there are any more but just wiggle it about and you'll find them, thats all I did. (I had to unclip some electrics temporarily aswell.) On my car this revealed a sort of foam rubber cover stuck to the door with no obvious damage.
Sit inside and get a friend to hose the exterior. If it is like mine it will only take a few seconds to see where the water is coming from.
I don't know if silicone sealant is the best to use but I used Loctite auto silicone selant (it took about 20 - 30 mins to go off) having picked the old stuff off and cleaned with white spirit.
The thing that baffles me is why did only one door leak? - or is it just the first?
Mondeo 03 water ingress - mjm
I have also seen a faulty/split seal around the rear screen washer spindle, this let the water in as well.
dave cheers. I am going away on holiday soon so i will try and get it done by the time i go away. Sounds not too difficult to fix (if this is where it is getting in) so i will get it done and hopefully this will sort it.
Thanks to everyone again.
Mondeo 03 water ingress - Truckersunite
This is a common problem on Laguna's (Original ones), I have had both rear doors done and now the front drivers door has just gone, so I will do that myself. It seems many cars have a problem with the membrane leaking!!!!