Jump leads advice wanted - Marman
A well-know high street motorists' store is advertising in their winter advertising leaflet a lead with a cigar lighter plug on each end which is supposed to be used instead of jump leads to start a car with a flat battery from the cigar lighter socket in each car. Compared to jump leads this device hardly looks man enough for the job when one considers the power needed to turn over an engine. Has anyone has any experience of this device or know if it is likely to be any good as it seems much better and lighter than carrying a set of jump leads about. Any info greatly appreciated.
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - markymarkn
sounds a bit wishy-washy to me. I'd stay clear.

They dont make normal jump leads out of thick chunky wire with huge grips on the ends because they look good do they?

M
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - Andy
This sounds a bit iffy to me - if I'm not mistaken, cigar lighters are fused at 10 or 20 amps. This is nowhere near enough to crank an engine.
I think an average starter draws between 50 and 100 amps (?), and this is why proper jump leads are so thick.
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - Cockle
Sounds like a recipe for blowing fuses or melting something, I think you are right to be suspicious, definitely doesn't sound man enough for the job.
Would be interested to know what current rating is marked on the packaging, should have something marked somewhere.
However does sound like a useful product for holding memories when changing batteries, as discussed at some length a little while back.
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
The idea is that you charge the duff battery from the donor car for 20-30 minutes. Not a bad idea as unlikely to 'spike' the ECU or Airbag.
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - rogerb
I seem to recall that my Focus tdi handbook advises not to connect jumpleads to both battery terminals, but to the +ve & to a part of the body work (can't remember exact wording).
Presumably this is to avoid damage to the ECU ?
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - Rob Govier
Some cigar lighters have an integral fuseable strip in addition to the fuse at the panel. If you are drawing chunky ampage, I guess that this would melt as mine did on my Monterey after running a 12v 13A kettle off it. (Pot Noodles on the move - sorry) My Peugeot 405 consistently blew indicator fuses when similar power was expected of its cigar lighter. Yes, it's a different circuit, but I suspect that it was setting up some sympathetic field effect through the harness. The lighter circuit cannot be compared to two bare donor battery terminals. It's not designed to jump-start a car. (or run a kettle, actually...) Yes, they don't make jump leads out of beefy copper just to keep the Zambian economy afloat.

rg
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - THe Growler
My Ford F-150 has a power take-off next to the cigar lighter, with the same plug fitment. This is heavier fused and designed for camping kettles etc according to the handbook. Never used it but seems a great idea on an SUV.
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - KB
I've been caught out only a couple of times needing jump leads. I have learned that the thin, cheap leads - no thicker than lighting cable, are as much use as a chocolate fireguard. So I bought HEAVY duty, welding cable spec. leads. The sort that would start a Landrover on a cold morning. And the bottom line is........they work. When you want a jump start, you want it now, not an hour later. 'Pay up and look big', as they say. You won't regret it.
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - T lucas
Cigar thingy sounds allright to jumpstart scaletrix,not much else.
Speaking of Scalextric, I used to have a MINIC racing car set when I was a tiny bit younger. Anyone else remember that?

Just looked at Google and their's much mention of them (along with Scalextric).

Must go - I'm halfway through a game of Doctors and Nurses.
Should have read 'there's' not 'theirs'. Sorry.
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - David W
KB is right.

When someone calls me to say their car won't start and they've tried their jump leads to no effect I ask "how much did they cost"? If the answer is nearer £7.99 than £27.99 I know why they can't get going.

I hate these sets at petrol stations that are about 2mm long and melt their insulation under the stress of carrying a current.

I invested heavily a couple of years ago in a set you can hardly lift that will reach across two parking bays...what a difference.

David
Re: Jump leads in cars?? - Kev
And kept them in your car??
I hope not, just think of all that extra weight.
Cost a fortune in extra fuel, and could extend stopping distances. O, and waste lots of space.
Be cheaper just to called out AA/RAC surely?

Kev
Re: Jump leads in cars?? - KB
Err. Yes, they're a lot more useful in the car than in the shed. I didn't think you were serious.......are you???

If I can get/give a jump start in less than 5mins, I'd sooner that than wait for my rescue org. to turn out. To double the trouble, Kev, there's a set in mine and a set in hers too. If I told you that I carry two BRIGHT/Large warning triangles in each plus overalls and a high vis. jacket too, would you believe me?

Dare I then go further and admit that each has, in the boot, an amber revolving beacon (cig. lighter/plug in jobbie) in case of trouble on Motorway/dark lane etc. I've seen enough grief due to major accidents following minor incidents to make me a tad cautious.

You wasn't really serious about weight and stopping distances were you? Coz if you were, I've just put on several pounds over Christmas, and I dont think I'm jeopardising my stopping distance too much. But you wasn't serious.......was you?
Jacket yes, warning triangle yes, torch yes. All very sensible things, and dont take up much space.
But a set of jump leads that can stretch across a car park?!
Yeah, a nice sensibe chunky set would be alright, but dont get carried away surely?

And stopping distances/acceleration, yes, I was. Few pounds yeah, but if you have a supermini and bung a fair few stone of cable in it?

Kev
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - Andy
KB - Minic Motorway! Funnily enough, I was telling my brother in law about these on Christmas Day when he showed me the Scalex he had bought his son. I thought I was the only person to remember! Cor.....
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - Nick Ireland
There is also something fairly important about the sequence in which the 4 jump lead clamps are connected to the battery and/or earthing points. I think this is to avoid sparks, damage to ECUs etc. Could any of the wise and regular contributors to the Back Room help on this one for the benefit of all? Maybe there are instructions on the packaging but maybe the that is in the bin or the garage at home!
Re: Jump leads advice wanted - ian (cape town)
Nick, normally in the car handbook.
I've seen a BMW's electrics "fried" by not following procedure.
Re: Jump leads in cars?? - markymarkn
I can see how heavy jump leads would be a problem if you drove a clapped out nova kev...

...and the fat exhaust would already be slowing down the drag strip times - wouldnt want jump leads showing you up even more!

(Sorry kev for making a joke at your names expense but I've just read the other thread a few up and I couldnt resist)

:-)

Mark.
Hur hur, fire away.

Besides the performance, I have no roon. My boots full of Kenwood!

About the exhuast, its a fact. Bigger exhaust, bigger performance(!)

Kev
Well, thanks for coming back on that one, Kev. We Kev's have got to show some consolidation here so I'll note that, at 3 metres my leads aren't the length of a car park, but are pretty chunky, and sad man that I am, I have weighed them - 4.75lbs/2.1kg. So - Yes one's a 1.3 Auto. Yaris 'supermini', and the other's a Maestro, however I'll keep the leads in-situ and take a chance on being able to get up hills and stop at the lights. My 0-60 performance is marginally less important than my being sat around waiting........as per previous posting.

Now, on to my next point of concern. Whilst your boot is full of Kenwood, it's more likely that my boot would be full of Scrapwood (for the tip etc.). Please, pleeeaaase assure me that you're not one those bods whose car thumps and fizzes so loud that I can hear them indoors. And usually the occupant is so overheated with excitement, that the windows are wide open, even in the depth of winter, thus treating me to even more decibels and shaking of the ornaments on my mantlepiece. Please confirm that all is well on this point. I guess you're a bit younger than I, so excuse my Victor Meldrew tendecies. (you don't drive with foglights on during the day, do you?)....... :-)

Regards, KB
Im sorry but you're a disgrace to proper Kevs, please hand back in your membership [birth certificate will do] card, and become a Norman.

Thats a good description of me, although I believe my sound system is able to unhang pictures and break priceless crockery. After cranking it up, im sure I get the strange hovering sensation.
My window has to be open otherwise pressure would pop all windows, besides its easier to engage in road rage with an open window.
What are fog lamps anyway? I have lots of lights I just turn on, makes my Nova go faster [another rule everyone else should note]
And I live with my mum

Seriously, i am not like the above, Im 18 and cant drive yet..........Then i may look longingly at Novas.........

Yeah, i think they will do, ive just pictures of DW struggling with what at first glance appears to be a Boa constrictor, un-coiling it from his Landie.
Small ones are fine, same with other emergency things, everyone should have a stocked 1st aid kit in boot, and a blanket. Everything else is handy.

Kev

P.S Your surname isn't Blick is it? As in Top Gear editor?? Hur hur
Thank you then, Kev, for your assurances, I'll stop assembling this little 'Kev' shaped doll and put the pins back into the sewing box. Sounds as though we could agree to compromise on most of the matters in hand - even if my leads are bigger than your leads. How about a nice sensible Maestro for your first car then? Should impress your mates.

I'm off to dust the mantlepiece and service the stairlift............Matron!! He's out of bed again.

KB
Hur hur hur. I thought I felt a pain in my neck.

So long as the Maestro has the afore mentioned 'modifications' im sure it will go down a storm! and hopefully more noisy, ;-)

Our Dave has a Montego...............

In answer to Brian's comments. What car do you drive? All the modern cars ive seen wouldn't fit a screwdriver under the bonnet.
There was a Fiat [Panda, i think] which stored the spare wheel under the bonnet, never happen now.

Course you could always wind the jump leads round the carburettor......erm.......

Kev
Re: Jump leads in cars?? - Brian
Under the bonnet of most (well, some) cars there is a bit of spare space that would be ideal for keeping those bits like jump leads, spare washer liquid, etc. which clutter up the boot.
Pity nobody makes containers that could be slotted in. It needs to be fixed, though, because e.g. on my car the spare space is right next to the water pump drive belt.
Re: Jump leads in cars?? - Mark Allread
What was the car, probably decades ago now, that had storage bins behind the front wheel arches, accessed from under the bonnet?

Great idea: why don't all cars have them - much more usefull than cup holders!
Storage - F L Atview
Bristols.
Re: Storage - ian (cape town)
And Bristols to you too! :)
Lovely cars! But as rare as hen's teeth!
When was the last time you saw one? Rollers and Astons are two-a-penny compared to Bristols!
I recall they had a showroom in High Street Ken, and a service place just off the M4, near Brentford.
Re: Storage - rogerb
Fascinating - I saw a new heading ("Storage"), so opened it, only to be confronted with/by "Bristols". What a delightful surprise!
Re: Storage - Mark Allread
So much for the observational skills of the forum's motorists.

Does no one remember that car (a Vauxhall?)
Re: Storage - Fred Vue
I remember seeing something with the bonnet up and storage space like that, and thinking what a good idea. All I can recall is it was a medium saloon.
Re: Storage - Richard Hall
If you want a decent set of jump leads, try a tractor dealer. I bought mine from a Massey Ferguson dealer years ago, and they'll jump start anything. I have found a use for the cheap ones from petrol stations though - they were very useful when my ride-on lawnmower had a flat battery....
Re: Storage - Brill
The last time I used jump leads to help a neighbour, I parked beside her car and whilst connected she opened her car door against the side of my car ... wow loud crack and sparks on contact. You try to help some people ...

I thought "there goes my CPU" (££££), but thankfully no problems.

Stu.
Re: Storage - KB
Since this subject appeared here, I looked again at the Toyota Manual regarding jump starts. It, of course, tells you not to allow the vehicles to touch, (although I didn't realise it would have such a dramatic effect as that described by Brill), and spells out the order for connection and disconnection and confirms that the negative lead of the recipient should clamp on to an earthing point within the engine compartment. In my case they recommend the alternator mounting bracket. It also suggests removing the vent caps on the battery and placing a protective cloth over the top.

Incidentally, since a previous thread re. use of the "computer memory saver" device for use when exchanging batteries, I asked the Main Dealer about disconnection etc. and they said that , on a Yaris, there's no problem disconnecting the battery as there's no radio code (built in to dash) and the engine management wouldn't be upset by such a temporary lack of current.
Re: Storage - Brian
Kev
It's a Pug 405 TD.
The space is behind the offside headlight. About big enough to fit a reasonable sized battery in.
I actually keep the spare washer fluid in another useful space just under the wipers and next to the heater. Come to think of it the jump leads would probably fit in there ! !
Eureka