CAR OF THE YEAR POLL RESULTS - Honest John
IN CASE ANY OF YOU HAVE TROUBLE PRINTING THE CAR OF THE YEAR RESULTS FROM THE NEWS PAGE, HERE THEY ARE AGAIN:-

The results of the honestjohn.co.uk website Car of the Year poll are as follows:-

CAR OF THE YEAR

BMW MINI, by a substantial margin. Second came the MCC Smart. Third was the new Ford Mondeo. And equal fourth: BMW 320D, MGZS 180, MG ZT190, Rover 75 and Citroen C5.

SENSIBLE CAR OF THE YEAR
Was a runaway victory for the VW Golf TDI. Second came the new Ford Mondeo. Third equal were the Ford Focus and SEAT Leon. Fourth equal were the BMW MINI and Skoda Octavia.

The European Car of the Year, the Peugeot 307, got just one vote in the whole competition, in this category.

DREAM CAR OF THE YEAR
Was the New Porsche 911 Turbo, closely followed by the Aston Martin Vanquish, with the Lamborghini Murcielago and new Mercedes SL running equal third and the Bentley Arnage behind them.

USED CAR OF THE YEAR (£5K TO £15K)
(The cars we actually buy) was a joint victory shared between four cars: the VW Passat TDI, the Ford Focus, the Rover 75 and the VW Golf Mk IV. Second place went to the old-shape Mondeo and third place to the Vauxhall Vectra.

USED BANGER OF THE YEAR (UNDER £1K)
Was won by the VW Golf Mk II with three times the votes of anything else. Joint second place went to the Citroen ZX diesel and Peugeot 205 diesel. Joint third was shared between the Vauxhall Cavalier, VW Polo, SAAB 900 Classic and Citroen Xantia diesel.

WORST CAR OF THE YEAR CURRENTLY ON SALE NEW
Big surprise, the car honestjohn website visitors most love to hate was the same one which won honestjohn car of the year, the BMW MINI. Joint second, each with half the votes of the MINI were the MCC Smart and the TATA Safari x 3. Joint third were the KIA Rio, the Land Rover Freelander and the BMW X5.

Okay, these were your votes but lots of you are wondering where I would have come out.

For overall Car of the Year I'd have agreed on the MINI, even though I haven't even driven it. But if the Honda Jazz had been out in 2001 I'd have gone for that.

For Sensible Car of the Year, I'd agree on the VW Golf TDI PD 130 with sports suspension, followed by the new Mondeo.

For Dream Car, I'd have gone for the Ferrari 550 Maranello, but preferably the new one with the paddle shift gearchange as the old 550 gearchange really slows down what you can do with the car.

For Used Car of the Year it has to be the old-shape Mondeo because it's a good car and fantastic value at the moment.

For Used Banger under £1k I go along with the website visitors and vote for the VW Golf Mk II, which is fortunate because we're still running a 16 year old Mk II Jetta.

And finally, for Worst Car of the Year, I'd disagree with all of you and go along with the director of the Harry Potter movie who chose for the horrible Dursley family the most dreary, unreliable, over-rated car you can buy. That's right: The Vauxhall Vectra.