Discussion Vs Technical Matters - Ex-Moderator
Just lately we've noticed rather more discussion creeping into Technical Matters than we're comfortable with.

We left it for a while in case it was just a phase, however it appears to be continuing.

This forum is for specifically technical issues, matters and threads. If your thread is more of a discussion nature then it will have been moved.

So if you can't find your thread, look in Discussion. And if you could help by thinking about where you should be creating it in the first place, then that would be good.

Mark.
moved a few.
and a few more
Discussion Vs Technical Matters - Cliff Pope
Quite a lot of the borderline cases are discussions of a technical nature, like the ones on oil, engine design, etc.
Specific questions like how do I fix x on car y are easy.
But still discussions....

We use our best judgement and err on the conservative, but the spirit of what we want is fairly easily understood.

e.g. Where to buy oil is not technical. What grade of oil to use in a specific engine is technical.
Discussion Vs Technical Matters - Dynamic Dave
A couple more moved.

DD.
Discussion Vs Technical Matters - petethehat
I posted a question on which octane petrol to use yesterday, and it's been moved. Your choice I suppose, though I would have thought that it could be called technical in most people's books. Either way, as my first ever post, I feel a bit like a naughty schoolboy. Didn't get an answer when I e-mailed 'honest john' over a week ago about this. Not impressed really, and still no replies to my post. When I've finished sitting on the naughty stair, I shall no doubt start playing truant.
Discussion Vs Technical Matters - Dynamic Dave
Pete,

I moved your post over to discussion as it got no response here. Every motorist buys fuel of one type or another, so I thought it was logical to see if it got a response there instead. I've added my ten penneth worth to wake the question up as it's slipped down the list a little.
Discussion Vs Technical Matters - Cliff Pope
That sounds a fair response to me.
I suppose in a borderline case it also depends on how the thread develops. If it continues as a general discussion about different grades of petrol, makes, etc, then "discussion" sounds fair.
But I suppose it could turn into a very technical thread about a particular engine, it's compression ratio, burn characteristics, valve composition, seating alloy, etc, with some really learned stuff from an engineer, then it would clearly have crossed the border into "technical".
Discussion Vs Technical Matters - petethehat
My spell on the naughty stair seems to have been fruitful, as there are now several replies to the post. Thanks very much for putting it up the list, and for your response.
Discussion Vs Technical Matters - madux
Shouldn't this thread now be moved over to Discussion?