Top Trumps Cards - BobbyG
My son came in today with new Top Trump Cards - the ones where each card has various technical specs eg engine size, top speed etc and the idea is you compare these to the other player and the best of each spec wins the cards.

I remember playing this about 30 years ago, but in my cards, the best cars were the Jensen Interceptor and the Lambo Countach!

Todays pack has everything from a Clio sport to a MacLaren F1!

Memories memories!
Top Trumps Cards - Stargazer {P}
Memories indeed, late 1970s, school playground, 50pence a pack, buy four packs and you could send off for the world record holders set. Must dig them out of the loft somewhere.

StarGazer
Top Trumps Cards - DSLRed
oooh, good days indeed. IIRC you could get them for everything from cars, to trains to boats. In fact I think the boats were my faves!.
Top Trumps Cards - Cliff Pope
They are very much still around. My children's favourites are Dinosaurs, Dogs and Horses. They also enjoy inventing new ones, and spend hours thinking up characteristics and writing out and illustrating cards.
On a wet holiday last year we all sat around inventing one based on the booklet for keeping things for different lengths of time in freezers.
From the new set, the highest speed is the Bugatti Veyron at 252mph with 1001hp!
Top Trumps Cards - johnny
I got a set in Germany 1970, can still remember most of them:
Green Monster 1200kph but no cylinders as a sort of jet car DOH!
Stihl - sort of 3 wheen invalid carriage 15kph electic motor - DOH!
Aeromobil - car that turned into a glider or something. Top speed 60kph - DOH!
Car / Boat hybrid
Basically if you had the three dragsters and the 12cyl le Mans racer you couldn't lose.

You could also get Top trumps Flowers - not quite the same really.
"mines got 25 petals"
"DOH mines only got five"
Top Trumps Cards - Cliff Pope
It's sad really, isn't it? I wonder if there is a web forum for Top Trumps anoraks?
Hood, inner lining, wind cuffs, pocket drains ...... !
Top Trumps Cards - daveyjp
I don't know about the latest version, but my 1970s pack had one of the land speed record cars in it. Great for top speed, not too clever on braking distance! Having spent 4 days with my four year old nephew he has quickly learnt that you need Yoda in the Star Wars pack as his Jedi powers are 99!!
Top Trumps Cards - CM
Monteverdi Hai 450 was the best overall in the pack that I had 30 years ago. Think that it might have been to do with a 7 litre engine and a top speed of 170ish mph.

I think as kids we got it slightly wrong as we always used to play that the heaviest car beat a lighter one! That's why the Roller was quite good to have in your hand.
Top Trumps Cards - Stargazer {P}
I also seem to remember tricks like this...if you suspected that your opponent was holding the Bell X-1 plane you called for engine capacity for your 1930s air speed record holder which beat the Bell with no applicable engine capacity.

StarGazer
Top Trumps Cards - BazzaBear {P}
Oooo. Controversial.
The way we played it, a 'n/a' would always result in a draw.
Top Trumps Cards - Mapmaker
I had a German set, with all the descriptions in German. Confusingly, not all the classifications were the same for the different cars, so the traditional comparisons were pointless. There was also debate as to whether '8' beat 'V6'.
Current set has a Mazda RX8 with Cylinders - Nil!
Top Trumps Cards - BazzaBear {P}
Current set has a Mazda RX8 with Cylinders - Nil!

I bet the engine capacity isn't anything to write home about either. 1.3 is it?
Incidentally, is the road tax therefore cheap on the RX8 as it's less than a 1.4?
1308cc !