Wheel trim collectors - wrangler_rover
My son is a student in Liverpool and he has recently bought a small car with steel wheels and factory fit wheel trims. Recently when I went to visit him, I noticed that his his rear offside wheel trim was missing, he had no recollection of kerbing the car or losing it. On looking at cars in Liverpool, we noticed that the majority of cars with steel wheels and trims have one wheel trim missing.

Is it a new craze for collecting one of each type of wheel trim or is it purely done out of mischief?

I've seen sets of 4 used wheel trims on sale at a sunday car boot sale, funny that all 4 of my mother in laws wheel trims were stolen on a friday night, together with all trims from at least 10 other cars from a village within 10 miles of the car boot sale site.
Wheel trim collectors - Xileno {P}
It's possible but they are also prone to coming off if you clip them on a curb.
Another great point with the Peugeot 205, you needed to remove the wheel nuts to remove the covers.
Wheel trim collectors - helicopter
I am reminded of the Les Dawson gag about Liverpool delivered in that wonderful style of his:-

' I was in Liverpool the other day and had my car wheeltrims nicked.

I wouldn't have minded but I was doing 70 mph at the time'.....

It sounds like the local toerags to me.

Anyway having had my wheeltrims nicked off my company car last year in West Sussex who am I to knock Liverpool as a den of thieves.
Wheel trim collectors - Cliff Pope
I see lots lying by the side of the road, and also notice an increasing number held on with plastic ties. I think they just fall off.
Wheel trim collectors - mjm
I followed a Micra for several miles after it had had new tyres fitted. In the space of about 5 miles two wheel trims worked loose and fell off, and the other two were obviously not fitted square. The prevailing traffic made it impossible to contact the driver in a safe manner. My son's 106 also shed a wheel trim after having new tyres fitted.

I wonder who was to blame---
Wheel trim collectors - Bill Payer
A Ford main dealer (OK, one of its employees) broke all 4 of mine on Sierra GLX a (good) few years ago. OK, the clips were a bit flimsy, but they nearly snapped one of the trims in half. Interestingly they replaced them without question when I complained, even sending a driver out to deliver them.
Wheel trim collectors - frazerjp
I recently had my front tyres renewed on my Ka, depite one of the trims was already damaged they fitted back on properly & still intact!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)