Quietest tyres for a Focus? - Waino
Our only gripe against my wife's Focus Chic 1.6 is the degree of road noise; we've now reached the stage for its first tyre change, so maybe the opportunity has come to do something about it. The current tyres are Pirelli P6000s (195/60 R15)which I believe were supplied on the car as new. Any suggestions for a quieter tyre [and would handling be compromised?] would be very welcome. Thanks
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - Roly93
We have a Focus Zetec and it doesn't seem in my opinion to have excessive road-noise. The car was and still is fitted with Continental Eco-Contacts from new.
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - AR-CoolC
My Focus came with Goodyear NCT5's from new and has had a set of Michelins on the front since. The goodyears seemed quieter than the Michelins, but not by much.

I am looking at getting a set of Dunlops next to see what they are like. I think most of the cabbin noise is actually from the door seals rather that the tyres.

Mines a Zetec also, which does have stiffer suspension. I have no idea weather this would make tyre niose more or less noticable.
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - Dude - {P}
Can thoroughly recommend Michelin Pilot Primacy, - have just fitted them on my 320d after a set of Pirelli P6000`s and the difference in road transmission noise is amazing, - just like driving a totally different car.!!!!!
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - Waino
Thanks for the replies. Yes - the suspension is firm (car handles very well) and it may be that this combined with the P6000s produces the noise. It's interesting that Dude found a huge difference in changing to Michelins - I'll see if my local favorite supplier has them. Do the Michelins handle/wear as well [the P6000s have done 25,000 on the front and still have a bit to go] and how do they compare pricewise?
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - focusman
i've got goodyear eagle nct's on my focus zetec and find the road noise quite bad. it seems mainly from the rear of the car. still quite a lot of tread left only done 13k. looking in the hatch and under rear seat area's it seems devoid of any sound proofing, so i may go done that route.
it seems very quiet though after using my wife's punto
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - johnsnc
Don't forget that some/most/all of that difference can be accounted for going from 2mm to 8mm of tread . I recently changed from worn Michelins to new Michelins and the noise levels (and I also felt the ride) improved, presumably due to the extra rubber.
This was on my Mondeo rather than a Focus but I think the point is general rather than car specific.
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - Alec
I found P6000 to be one of the noisiest tyres I have had on a car.
I am currently using Bridgestone ER300s on my Passat and I ran the on an A4 before that because they came out well in the reviews here :www.tyretest.com for low noise.
Made a significant difference over the P6000.
Rgds
Quietest tyres for a Focus? - JohnM{P}
Hear, Hear! I'll second johnsnc comments; I've replaced many, many sets of tyres on my company and family cars (mostly, but not exclusively, Michelins and VAG motors) over the last 350K+/12 years miles and noise levels get worse as tread depth reduces (though you don't notice it as is a gradual process). Also, tyres can wear out of shape/wear unevenly, (can be tyre or car specific; Golf MkIV rears esp., a problem because they last for ever - 60k+) causing noise problems