Audi 2.5TDI - Maurice Young
Your recent letter reply in the Daily Telegraph regarding the failure of the water pump on the Audi2.5TDI frightened me to death. I have such a car and sofar the cogged belt driving the diesel pump has failed twice. Although the engine bay is plastered with signs saying that the timing belt etc must be replaced every100,000km when I went for the 40,000 mile service I was told that Audi had change the recommendation and the belts had to be changed. Obviously failure of the timing belt would be catastrophic and I had it changed. When the diesel belt failed for the second time at 80,000miles I had the timing belt done again. The cost for the job is about350 pounds and Audi justify the lesser period between replacement as an improvement to their spec. Can you tell me how realistic is the possibility of water pump failure and what would be the symptoms leading up to the failure?

Maurice Young
Re: Audi 2.5TDI - IanM
Water pump failure happened to a friend of mine whilst driving an N reg A6 2.6 petrol (120000 miles with FSH), admittedly not the same engine as the TDi but the water pump failed, broke the cam belt - result 2 new cylinder heads required etc, total cost from Audi dealer £1850. Apparently not an uncommon failure on the V6 petrols, unsure about TDi's.
Re: Audi 2.5TDI - El Dingo (Martin)
Ian,

This is interesting. When I changed the timing belt (at 60,000 miles) on my A4 2.6 I wondered about the water pump (the timing belt drives it and it sits between the cylinder heads). I'll plan to change it with the next cam belt at 100k...

Does anyone else have any experience of this?

Martin.