VW Golf 1.4 Emissions failure - lnapier
I inherited a VW Golf S 1.4 recently with only 16000 miles on the clock. I thought it would sail through the MOT, but has failed on emissions level. (1.054 was the lowest it would go from memory).

I was told that the garage would be able to diagnose whether it was a faulty lambda sensor, or whether I'd need a new cat. I've taken it to a garage, who straight away replaced the lambda (no mention of cleaning it), and now say that this hasn't made any difference, and that I'll need to fork out £365 plus VAT for a VW cat.

Is this the only option? Is the fact that it has done a low mileage the problem? The car had not been driven for a fortnight when I took it to the MOT centre (a very short drive) - could this be a problem?

Many thanks for any suggestions - I feel like I might be being ripped off.
VW Golf 1.4 Emissions failure - RichardW
Add some injector cleaner, and fresh petrol and take it for an 'Italian tune up' - work it hard for 20 or so miles keeping the revs well up (eg at least 1 gear lower than normal!) and make sure it gets good and hot - take it back when it's hot, and it will probably go straight through. Lack of use / gentle use is almost certainly to blame.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
VW Golf 1.4 Emissions failure - Altea Ego
Make sure its hot when tested. Cats dont work when cold or warm.
VW Golf 1.4 Emissions failure - Captain Magoo
I think you might have been ripped off, as the other guys have said there should be no problem with the cat.

If the garage replaced the Lambda without asking or informing you, I wouldn't pay, especially as they were going to tell you whether it was this or the cat. VW did something similar to me, and I refused to pay and asked for the old part to be refitted as it clearly wasn't faulty.

You can get new cats cheaper from indy suppliers too.

VW Golf 1.4 Emissions failure - dieselhead
If the lambda is high (1.054) the engine is getting too much fuel so don't see why garage suggested replacing the catalyst as this won't change air to fuel ratio. Emissions would still be high with a new catalyst as they only work efficiently when lambda ratio is very close to 1.00.
Garage should have checked output from lambda sensor, temperature sensors, plugs, air filter, etc. first.
Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
VW Golf 1.4 Emissions failure - Number_Cruncher
Lambda is the Greek letter used to signify the excess air ratio. If Lambda is greater than 1, the engine is running weak. The Greek symbol for excess fuel ratio is phi, which is equal to the reciprocal of lambda, q.v., www.shef.ac.uk/mecheng/staff/fcgan/MEC345/MEC345-0...f

However, I suspect the OP was refering to the CO level when the figuew of 1.054 was quoted. If so, there is a good chance that a new cat will bring that down.

Number_Cruncher