New Mini polarizes opinions - AndyS
Please help me 'cos I don't understand. Surely I am sure I'm not the only one. The new Mini is heading for both best and worst car? I presume this is by two distinct groups. I am a nearly-thirty DINKY, with a nice sensible Mondeo for long journeys and owned a "proper" mini which I loved when I was younger. I would not buy an old mini now because they are unreliable and rusty and our second car does 40 miles a day.

I love the new Mini - it looks cute, is well built, well engineered, fun to drive (not blindingly fast but the old one wasn't either), keenly priced, should be reliable, reasonably practical ... IMH it is a great car.

Who doesn't like the car and why? (or for that matter who does like it)

Preparing myself for a torrent of abuse!!

Andy
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - John
It,s not i think a Mini it,s too big Bmw is just cashing in on a famous name,the engines are reported to be the weak link , if a Bmw engine was fitted it would have greater appeal
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - Derek
I see it as BMW cashing in on the name. A bit like VW's exercise with the Beetle really. Let's go forwards, not backwards, or we'll all be driving around on three wheels again.............
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - ChrisR
It's too trendy: the motoring equivalent of flared pants. The original was truly clever design. This one is pastiche. Well made pastiche, maybe, but still pastiche. Actually, I take back the flared pants jibe; it's more like the motoring equivalent of an Abba tribute band.

Chris
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - Piers
As someone who owned two 'classic' Minis and now get to use my girlfriends new MINI I can add my 2p worth.

The new MINI is a very good car. It is very enjoyable to drive, has low ownership costs and initial purchase price. It looks great and is built well using excellent quality materials. The interior is fantasic. To be honest I can't fault the engine. But then I don't drive the other offerings from BMW to compare. I can't recall the standard A-Series engine being that great though (compared to the X-flow for example). The exhaust noise is good - quiet at steady revs but a nice rorty, hardening note as you put your foot down. It has sufficient power to have good performance but no so much that you forget the handling. (I drive a Caterham Seven so regularly get my sub 5 second 0-60 fix... point and squirt motoring isn't half as much fun as using the handling to squeeze the most from the vehicle).

I was determined to hate the car as I was a big fan of the old Mini - but once I looked at the value for money, quality and actually drove it I loved it.

The old Mini was and is great. I would get another one but only as a fun car to fiddle with. Unfortunately time has moved on and it's bad points became too obvious to overlook compared to other cars. They also were massively overpriced and poorly made.

The new MINI combines the best points of the old Mini and leaves out all the bits that would put me off buying one. The fact it's bigger is good as far as I'm concerned - safer and I don't have to contort myself to get in and out! The small boot doesn't matter - holds shopping, weekend away bags etc and the seat fold down in 2 seconds to reveal a big load space.

I think comparisons with the new Beetle are not really suitable. The MINI is a completely new car and not another variation of an existing platform (golf / leon /A3 / TT) like the beetle. That suffers as it's worse than the other cars on the same platform.

Piers
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - David W
Chris,

You mean Martyn should cancel the Bjorn Again booking for the HJ Summer bash?

David
David

Is there an Iron Maiden tribute band? Surely much more fun.

Chris
Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - David W
Chris,

Possibly more fun but Darcy might be frightened. Actually I think Iron Maiden are their own tribute band.

David
Re: Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - ChrisR
David

So you don't think it would help if Ford rehashed the Mark I Granada in bigger, uglier, thirstier form? In black, of course, with overstuffed leatherette seats and spikes on the inside of the doors.

Chris
Re: Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - David W
Chris,

For the Iron Maiden band vehicle you mean?

David
Re: Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - ChrisR
David

Quite. There must be plenty of ageing rockers out there who are too old for the three-wheeler custom Harley, but not quite ready for the Honda Accord. And it would work as an instrument of torture as well, which would be a clever piece of "designer" irony.

Chris
Re: Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - crazed idiot
iron maiden are the spinal tap tribute band these days
Re: Geri polarizes opinions - Tomo
"Let's go forwards, not backwards, or we'll all be driving around on three wheels again............."

Now if that were to mean a water cooled ohv Morgan.......
Re: Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - Tomo
PS I do feel outdated. Sophia Loren and Klemperer for me!
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - David W
Andy,

No surprise the new Mini will have a foot in both camps.

Continuing my "musical" comparison I remember last year Geri Halliwell was top in two areas of a magazine poll. She was the woman most men wanted to have dinner with and also most hated performer!

So for the younger (?) backroomers.

Geri taking you out to dinner in her new Mini...... dream or nightmare?

David
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - Mark (Brazil)
>taking you out to dinner in her new Mini...... dream or nightmare?

She can take me out in a Reliant Robin, I'm not going to be looking at, or thinking about, the car.

M.
What will you be thinking about then, the Big Mac and fries at the end of the journey?

Chris
Geri polarizes opinions - David W
Hello Mark, sorry I'm behind on personal replies. I find having the backroom open in a second window while working easier than thinking about mails.

Glad to see you were straight in on the question for younger guys??

David
MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - Kev
Firstly the mini. The mini isnt mini, its massive. And only 2 doored(?) which makes it impractical. Its ugly from most angles, the back is quite nice ill admitt, but the front is a hash.
The interior is hideous. I dont like central instruments, and the mini's is awful, the worse ive ever seen. The speedo is massive, and the rev. counter looks like an afterthought. Ant there are two many swoops and curves. Just awful.
There is no old mini in this one, just stolen styling cues. Its not original, its not ingenious and its not cheap.

Geri would not be my dream date, too skinny, might snap her, and I bet she knows all the good restaurants (!) A rice cake is your main course. S club 7's Rachael is far more up my street.

And its not only old people who know about Iron Maiden. Their old stuff is better, but AC DC are still better than them, period.

Me? Opinionated? Never!

Kev
Re: MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - THe Growler
Just a minute.........I'm still at the Harley 2-Wheeler stage and on AC/DC.....
but then I'm only 61 as yet..
Re: MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - Mark (Brazil)

> S club 7's Rachael is far more up my street.

Once I got over Debbie Harry, which took a while, I always rather liked Susanna Hoffs from the Bangles.

But then, I'm old.

M.
Re: MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - Kev
Who?

Kev, feeling rather young and foolish
Re: MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - David W
Kev,

Who as in Iron Maiden, Debbie Harry or Susanna Hoffs from the Bangles (or all of them).

How old are you then Kev. If you let us know we can work out the update modules you need and arrange the correct download!

David
Re: MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - crazed idiot
arnt all citroen fans obliged to be fans of claudia ?

especially ex army officer citroen fans in wales ?

me i like all of the bangles, the drummer is cute

bring back pat benatar thats what i say
Re: MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - David W
CI,

Our local Citroen dealers are very luck they've never lost the life sized cut-out. But CS didn't sing did she, only like singers.

Didn't quite understand "especially ex army officer citroen fans in wales ?"

David
Re: MINI, Geri, and Iron maiden - Mark (Brazil)

> me i like all of the bangles, the drummer is cute

What did the drummer look like ? Was she the one with straight blond hair ?

MBFB
Me - Kev
Im 18.

Iron Maiden I have no problem with, 'number of the beast' and all.
Its the other 2 I have no idea about.
Some pop group?

Kev

P.S personal modem is slow due to state education, :-)
Re: Me - David W
Kev,

If you're 18 I think there is just too much catching up required to bring you up to speed on the "sad old git" looking back at the 70s. We'll just tell you on a need to know basis.

Also well done for some worthwhile and mature posts from someone yet to gain their main life experiences.

David
Re: Me - Kev
Hur hur thanks. If were are in the compliments mood, I hope I grow up to be like some of the guys on here.
Intend to learn to drive before the summer, so watch out for biased posts from then on. :-)

Kev, feelings rathered grandsonned, :-))
Re: Me - ian (cape town)
Good luck, Kev!
What are you thinking of getting as a first car?
Re: Me - Kev
Oooooo, dont know anything about cars..............

Must be a Nova though, or a Saxo. With permanant fog lights, pumping stereo, sewer sized exhaust and no insurance. ;-)

In all seriousness, ill raise the topic in a few months as to everyones favourites. There was one a few months back. Get the Golf mk II appreciation society wheeled out.

Thanks for support, keep you informed.

Kev
Re: Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - Tomo
Well, I had a 998 Cooper of whch let it suffice it to say cost 50% extra for insurance and blew off Ss, and was prepared to hate the new one. But the first time I met the new Mini I delightedly registered "Cooper!" before I twigged, so I have to concede it looks the part.

Nonetheless, I doubt if we need to replace Prudence Proton (Handling by Lotus) just yet, though (or because?) front tyres will definitely be expendables!
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - crazed idiot
go and test drive one, then go down toyota dealer and test drive a yaris

bet you prefer the yaris
Re: Iron Maiden polarizes opinions - Steve G
BMW have done a good job on the new Mini . The most common criticism is its too big, well modern crash regulations most play a large part in this. As for the styling .... eye of the beholder.
It's the best looking super-mini (personal opinion) ,well priced ,great to drive and with BMW's incredible 5 year warranty, the car of the year.
(but the new Lambo is just to die for !!)
Re: New Mini polarizes opinions - G
The new mini is a cracking little car.
Can anyone (who has driven one) really say it didn't make them smile....
A rare quality these days. Even if it is sort of German... doh!