BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - The Ring
Hi all,

Opinions please, just turned 25 and looking around for my next car and narrowed it down to these two. Audi is the sensible car, plenty of miles and all very economicial around town too, BMW is the car that ive always wanted especially the Sports version, but i know even with the huge tank it isnt going to be as economical as the Audi locally. Which one would you choose, go with the heart (BMW) or head (Audi)?

Thanks
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - vwdriver
You are not really comparing two cars on the same level, if you are wondering about the audi A6 and are looking at each car new I would go for a 2.5 or 3.0 audi over the beamer, I think the audi looks better. Whereas if you are considering the old shape of each car then I prefer the BMW. I think the 1.9tdi in the A6 would be underpowered. The BMW is likely to hold its value better than the audi. I don't think audi do the 1.9 tdi in the new A6.
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - Shaz {p}
Depends on budget I think.
Also I presume you will be looking at an A6.

Will similar money get you a Tdi 130? If so - probably a better car - due mainly to the engine being frugal, and the A6 is a nice car.

The 525tds - great car - (my choice would be manual and these may be hard to come by)Fuel economy on this is not great - especially round town - and Auto will hamper that no matter what the manufacturers state on the mpg figuares.

Tough choice - depends on the money - (as always!).

Great handling from a 5 - six pot smooth motor - reasonable power (even better wilth a remap).

A6 - more modern looking - (better build interior (in theory anyway) - engine more frugal - not as smooth, more vocal.
Again responds well to a remap - and will retain frugality (is that a word?). Perhaps a bit boring, but smart never the less.

You know you want an Alfa instead!! - 3.0 V6 24V 166 (unless you can find the 3.2 24v facelift). Very smart looks, press say flawed but good handiling (comparisons when road tested against a 5 sharper than 5, but harsher ride)- great engine (and tough too) - only down side may be electrical gremilns - but get a good warranty - and you'll be laughing all the way to the petrol station. (Upon arrival replace laughing with crying
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - Bill Payer
even with the huge tank it
isnt going to be as economical as the Audi locally.

Eh??
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - local yokel
>> even with the huge tank it
isnt going to be as economical as the Audi locally.

Do you pay one amount regardless of how much fuel you put in?

Round here we pay per litre!
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - local yokel
Just turned 25 and wants a middle-aged male person's car - read and weep.

At 25 I wanted a Beemer M3!
At 25 I wanted a Beemer M3!

How the youth have changed! 5 doors are better than three in my opinion and if i could afford a sports car like an M3 id still go for the M5, just my preference.
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - Chad.R
>> even with the huge tank it
>> isnt going to be as economical as the Audi locally.
Do you pay one amount regardless of how much fuel you
put in?
Round here we pay per litre!

Not only that but AFAIK, the size of the fuel tank has no relevance/influence on the consumption.....on a F1 car maybe but certainly not on a mid-size executive saloon.

BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - trancer
I think the tank size thing is more to do with a common misconception that the more it costs you to fill the car then the more fuel it uses. I have lost count of how many times people have said something along the lines of "my car is good on fuel as I only put in £10 a week"
I think the tank size thing is more to do with
a common misconception that the more it costs you to fill
the car then the more fuel it uses. I have
lost count of how many times people have said something along
the lines of "my car is good on fuel as I
only put in £10 a week"

I sit corrected, im one of those in the misconception about the fuel tanks hence why i wrote that!
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - Dalglish
but i know even with the huge tank it isnt going to be as
economical

>>

and any special reason for choosing diesels? are you doing mega miles ?

BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - adverse camber
If you carry rear seat passengers the A6 is much better than the 5 for space.
Forgot to add that the budget is only 13k or thereabouts and im not looking for anything new but i know i can get both cars in that price range with below average mileage. Audi A6 or the A4(i know it isnt comparable to the BMW in anyway) or BMW 525d.
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - Bagpuss
If you enjoy driving get the BMW. There is no executive saloon that comes close to a 5 Series for driving pleasure.
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - No Do$h
A6 has a very crashy ride, ducking, bucking and wallowing in the twisties if you meet a pothole. Not nice.

Nw I'm no fan of Beemers, but get the 5! Get the 5!
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - Roly93
Hi all,
Opinions please, just turned 25 and looking around for my next
car and narrowed it down to these two. Audi is the
sensible car, plenty of miles and all very economicial around town
too, BMW is the car that ive always wanted especially the
Sports version, but i know even with the huge tank it
isnt going to be as economical as the Audi locally. Which
one would you choose, go with the heart (BMW) or head
(Audi)?
Thanks

>>
I've got an A4 Avant Tdi 130 and I love it ! But I also really like the Beemer especially the 2.5 TDI !

As someone else said, you are not really comparing like with like. If anything a decent A4 TDI 130 will cost you more to buy than the same age/condition 525 probably as they are so sought after. The Audi would be cheaper to run than the beemer all round really, tyres/servicing/fuel-cons/TAX/insurance. And as someone else also said, why not look at the A6 diesels, they can be cheaper to buy than the equivalent age A4 due to less demand.

To be honest after I'd bought my A4 which was 8 months old, I realised I could have got an equivalent A6 for virtually the same price !

So in summary BMW - great car but noticebly greater cost of ownership AUDI - more boring but cheaper cost of ownership....you have to decide !!
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - Avant
Try to get a test drive of both and see which you prefer driving - both are good cars fron new although there seem to have been more horror stories on this forum of repairs to used BMWs than to Audis. Also decide whether you prefer front or rear wheel drive.

Insurance will be expensive, probably slightly more for a BMW than the equivalent Audi. Unless you are encumbered with family (in which case bad luck if you're only 25) go for an A4 or 3-series and have a lighter body with the same engine, and therefore more oomph.
BMW 525d V Audi 1.9 TDI - MichaelR
525d without a doubt.